Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Uberti 1885 High wall 38-55

Uberti 1885 High wall 38-55

Well I just bought a Uberti 1885 hw in 38-55 with a new 6x Malcolm scope, Marbles tang sight with windage, and a Lyman 17 globe front sight. The rifle is in like new condition.Found it on gunbroker and just had to have it. I have been wanting one of these for years. This will be my first 38-55 and can't wait to get it and get started with it. Will have to wait for it to get here so I can slug the bore so I can see what size mould to order, will most likely get one from our good friend Tom at Accurate Moulds, I just love his moulds. I don't know much about the Malcolm scopes, I guess we will find out. I am sure that they are ok. I think I saw them on Buffalo Arms web site. I found some dies at midway and they are on the way, but not having much luck finding any new brass yet, but I don't know what length chamber it has yet anyway.

Good luck with the new rifle. I have been lusting over single shot .38-55's for a while and saw yours on GB. I am glad it went to someone on this forum. .38-55 brass can be tough to find. I have some Starline back ordered but it may take quite a while. Some new Starline just went through GB and sold for about a buck apiece. Ouch. While I'm
    waiting I made some from .30-30 brass and other than being a little (1/8") short it works okay. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by marvelshooter; 04-20-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Uberti 1885 .38-55. I believe the groove diameter on all of them is large. mine is .3825. Mine also takes the long brass. I might be able to help you out with some standard brass. I have some, I believe, but I was in Sportsman Warehouse a few days ago and they had one bag. Let me know if you are interested in the brass and I will see how much I have.
    Calaloo

Boolit Mold
    I have on of these Rifles... Seems to be a bit of a challenge finding the right bullet/load combination, and to aid in this who game I've decided some manner of scope would end excuses with the sight issue. The factory sights are....challenging for my old eyes. Looking for scope mount recommendations. Interested to hear ideas on scopes too.
    Tis a fun gun to shoot...first rifle my wife demanded I buy NOW as I was petting it in the gun store.
    Slug bore...what...where... lead pill to ram down that loooooooong barrel??

Boolit Mold
    custombrassandbullets.com shows to have some in stock 2.215" length $12 for 20. Don't know how long they will last, hope this helps.
    Democracy – is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch….
    Liberty – is well-armed sheep contesting the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Tx reloader72 View Post
    custombrassandbullets.com shows to have some in stock 2.215" length $12 for 20. Don't know how long they will last, hope this helps.
    Thanks I will check it out.

Boolit Buddy

I think you can neck up 30-30 brass.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tx reloader72 View Post
    Thanks Tx reloader72 I got 60 rds coming from Custom Brass and Bullets. And calaoo was kind enough to sell me a few also,Great members on this fourm!!

Boolit Mold
    Yep lots of great members here on this site! Glad I could help out. Got my 38-88 Legendary frontiersman a few weeks ago. Looks like a fun caliber to shoot. Let us know how it works out.
    Democracy – is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch….
    Liberty – is well-armed sheep contesting the vote!

Ok I will when I get some range time with it.
    Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Uberti's are correctly chambered for the 2.12 brass. Mine, recently acquired, has the set trigger and slugs .380. With the open barrel sights it will put a hard as rock commercial gc bullet in a cloverleaf at 50 yds. I've installed a Lee Shaver economy soule and am awaiting a lyman globe. A new Accurate mold .381, catalog 38-285B, came today and it sure looks slick.

I sold a Miroku 1885 and bought this rifle....am much more satisfied. I also have a Marlin CB and a relined Remington #1 Sporter in 38-55. I can interchange loads between the Marlin and Uberti but no such luck on the Rolling block.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Uberti 1885 DST 38-55 ... 371 lands 378 grooves
    Accurate Mold Recommendation (1:20) - clone of Ideal 375166 ...
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=38-320E-D.png
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I shoot a C Sharps 1875 in 38-55 with the Lee 250 gr either as cast or pp'ed. Rifle doesn't know the difference. One of my most fun shooters with Lee Shaver's front & rear.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Man
    I have a Uberti 38-55 hi-wall. I shoot Missouri bullets in it with 10.5 grns of Red dot, Know I know that this is over max according to published loads, but I worked up to this. it puts the 250grn out I think it is 1500 (have to look)
    I all so loaded some with SR-4759 and it shot good. If you have a mold
    that is not big enough, just mold your bullets out of pure lead, they shoot fine in my rifle

Appears to be a few Uberti 38-55's out there. In my case, Starline Brass, 250 gr. Lee and 300 gr. Saeco boolits*, over a card, and either 3031 or (mostly) 2ffg., and as stated by others above, doesn't seem to matter.
    Have a Lee Shaver econo on the rear and a 91/30 Mosin Nagant hooded post on the front.
    Cheers,
    R
    * unknown mix lead,...some Dental, some plumbers, some range scraps. Don't care.
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Boolit Man
    My Uberti has set triggers,don,t see them advertised any more.. My quigley sharps (ped) is a pretty nice rifle, don,t see why people run them down,I saw a sharps and I could not justify the price, it did nI havent,t look as good as mine. I haven,t shot any BP in either of them,don,t really like it. Shot 20 rounds of BP in my trapdoor, did n,t really care for it. Just ordered a 405 grn. lee with hollow base ,will try that in my trapdoor.

nothing wrong with any Pedersoli firearm or uberti I have had both in 38/55 also have a marlin 38/55 lever action & a H & R buffalo rifle in 38/55 I use the long brass 2"125 for all of them. have a bunch of the shorter brass 2"085 will find it and put it on the web. the deacon on here a friend of mine just got a pedersoli 1885 HI-wall in 38/55 set triggers. lee shaver tang sights. and is using a mold of mine by NEI 240.375 J meant for a copper jacket. he's paper patching using the holy black. at 50 yards in a hurry a week ago they where 3 shot clover leaf. now I have to find one. lol & the money.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1885 38-55 002.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	103800Ok here is a photo of my new spaghetti gun. This gun is in new condition and the scope is new and unused just mounted on gun before it bought it. And also got a new Marbles tang peep sight and Lyman 17 globe front. All for $1150.00

Rifle57,

Congrats on an awesome rifle!!!

Go to http://custombrassandbullets.com/slb146.html as they have Starline 38-55 in 2.125" brass in stock. It say 83 packages of 20 at 12.00/package. I bought two hundred the day since they were available. I'm actually surprised they are still in stock.

If your Uberti needs the shorter brass you can at least trim it down. I hope this helps and again...great looking smoke pole.

45coltnut

Boolit Master
    My Uberti Hiwall 38/55 required .382" dia. bullets for any kind of accuracy, which ruled out most of my existing molds.