RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Model 1894 - 30WCF

Boolit Master

Model 1894 - 30WCF

A friend came up with a nice old 1894 in 30WCF. Is there any reason not to load this rifle to current published data for 30-30?
    Not likely that he will be running max pressure anyway, since I've got him hooked on casting as of this past week. He likes cheap boolits now, go figure.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

My '94 was made in 1897, it's handles current data just fine. I dont push the envelope with it, recently turned it into a cast boolit rifle, it hasn't given any signs of any pressure problems. They're fun old shooters

Quote Originally Posted by raingauge View Post
    My '94 was made in 1897, it's handles current data just fine. I dont push the envelope with it, recently turned it into a cast boolit rifle, it hasn't given any signs of any pressure problems. They're fun old shooters
    +1

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    I kinda thought that they were well made.
    This one is from 1907.
    Thanks for the input.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

There's definitely something about those early 94's and 1894's. 1892's too for that matter. I just didn't understand until I handled and shot a few.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    He likes cheap boolits now, go figure.
    HaHa! If he's anything like us, he will go broke saving money!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

I just need another 3128 lbs of lead to break even.....if I don't buy any more moulds.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    HaHa! Fat chance of that!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    IMO: Your friend will know when his loadings are to hot for the rifle as he will have trouble adjusting the barrel sights to accommodate such ammo. The reason for this comment there wasn't but a few smokeless powders marketed at the time of this rifles making. So the charges listed currently are for more up to date rifles having better alloyed steel verses the much earlier nickel steel barrels. Others may say differently as they don't consider their rifle being antique. But overall your friend should keep in mind his rifle is indeed well over a 100 years old. It is an antique and should be treated as such when it comes to its firing in order to maintain a margin of safety.

Boolit Grand Master

HaHa! Fat chance of that!

So true, my friend. Already treated myself to one new mould this month, broke in another and danged if another mould didn't catch my eye while I was on a mould mfgr's website. Also ordered six sets of mould handles and only two are spoken for, guess I need to round up a bunch more WW's to break even, lol.

Boolit Master
    He is. He knows what he's getting into and he's diving right in the deep end.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    There's definitely something about those early 94's and 1894's. 1892's too for that matter. I just didn't understand until I handled and shot a few.
    TX you are so right! My 1894 was made in 1948, and I just wish it could talk and tell me stories of the people who owned it and hunted with it.

It is in excellent condition, perfect bore, the bluing is worn around the receiver where it was carried in someones right hand over many miles in the timber, absolutley no rust.

The only real issue was the buttstock and forearm. Some one had drilled a hole through both, and put a wire hoop through the wood for "sling swivels" and used bailer twine for a sling. Had to be a farmers rifle!

I replaced the wood and it looks great. I bet it could tell some stories!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    It's from 1907? It's hardly broken in! My 1873 Winchester rifle and SRC are from the 1880's and they still get to the range for their day in the sun. Sure get some looks from the other shooters when I pull a '73 saddle ring carbine from its case and fire it up. They were made to shoot. Watch the loads and enjoy the dickens out of them.

yooper