Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new cannelure machine is on it's way!

In Remembrance

My new cannelure machine is on it's way!

Chuckbuster (Kevin) just sent me pictures of the new cannelure machine he created for me. It's totally amazing. Has plenty of leverage, and does a slick job of putting a cannelure on any bullet, jacketed or otherwise. The bullet shown in the image #2 is one of the 45ACP > .500 S&W Mag (.500) bullets I sent along as samples. I also sent him my CH4D cannelure tool, so he could see what it's issues are, and also it's features.

The new tool is nothing like the CH4D version.

chuckbuster has documented the design, and can handle orders for these if you guys also want one. I'll let him discuss the pricing, etc.

I'm just tickled to death that I have a wonderful way to cannelure all my bullets.

Your direct path to chuckbuster is here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...54-chuckbuster

Here are the pictures:
    Image #1

Image #2

Image #3

Image #4

Image #5

Image #6

Image #7
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 04-18-2014 at 07:50 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    An elegant approach to the problem! I like it!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes it does look good. Hope the handle is big enough and comfortable for extended operations. Just the thought of turning those small handles makes my hands cramp.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

May Liberty Increase!
    Duke,

What were the issues with the CH4D that were addressed in the design of this one?

I've been looking at cannelure tools lately and have no idea what the problems are.

That is a fine unit!
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

In Remembrance

The issue that BT Sniper refers to is the biggest issue with the CH4D design. The levers are too short. Someone once said, "Give me a long enough lever, and I can move the earth." Well, the crank handle on the CH4D version is too short, and requires that you grab the knurled knob with your fingers and turn really hard. If doing just a few bullets, no big deal. But, my production of swaged bullets has a typical batch size of HUNDREDS.

The other CH4D handle, the one that pulls the cannelure wheel into the bullet is also just too darn short. I've done things like stick a piece of steel tubing on the end of that handle, but that's not a solution.

Also, in use, I have found that the pivot for the rotating handle was wobbly in the CH4D design. I spend some time trying to fix that, but it was a poor match up of sizes and machining that cause it. It would have required machining a new part, which I don't have the ability to do here.

The final issue that exists with the CH4D design is the placement of the bullet in the device. The "bottom" of the bullet rests on a set screw to adjust the location of the cannelure. It requires some finger dexterity to get the bullet to sit in the right place on that set screw, while closing the lever handle.

The new design, as you can see, addresses all of those issues. Kevin tells me that the length of the levers is long enough that it's quite easy to set up, and operate.

He sent me some additional images, which I have added to my initial post. It gives some additional sense to the size of the device. He has a 12" steel rule and a 50 BMG bottle opener in the additional images. This thing is rugged, has amazing rollers for the bullet to roll on (easing the ability to roll the cannelure, they roll like glass), and has a LOT of leverage. I'm expecting to be able to make thousands of cannelures EFFORTLESSLY in every batch I make. Notice that the handle is even adjustable for length. Smaller bullets can have the handle adjusted shorter, so that you can crank them out faster. He's thought of everything.

BTW, the unit is for sale at $200 plus shipping. (Kevin just called me on the phone to report that.) I have no vested interest in the sale of these, other than being first in line to get one. Everything that chuckbuster has made for me has been first class. He's shipping it to me on Monday from Michigan, and as soon as it gets here, I will run some tests of the various pistol caliber bullets I make, and will give a field report. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Yes it does look good. Hope the handle is big enough and comfortable for extended operations. Just the thought of turning those small handles makes my hands cramp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Duke,

What were the issues with the CH4D that were addressed in the design of this one?

I've been looking at cannelure tools lately and have no idea what the problems are.

That is a fine unit!
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 04-19-2014 at 08:33 AM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanx Duke

First I want to be sure everyone understands I AM NOT the Machine GENIUS behind these, I'm just the marketing guy. Do to my work (Industrial Tool Sales) I happen to know some very talented individuals. The gentleman that I am working with on these is a "Old School" Tool & Die Guy, over 40 years (maybe closer to 50 now) in the trade. He is one of those increasingly rare individuals, at least in my experience, that you can give a picture or model of something to and say "Mike, can we make this better?" That is all it takes and this Cannelure Machine is proof. Handed him the "CH4D" tool and turned him loose. The pictures give you an idea of the result.

All work is guaranteed.

If interested contact me via PM.
    Thanx for the interest
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    looks like a heavier duty model than the Corbin cannelure tool that I bought
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

That is one FINE device.

You feel like a kid in a candy shop?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    That is one FINE device.

You feel like a kid in a candy shop?

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

May Liberty Increase!
    Duke,

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. That's exactly the type of information I wanted. I've purchased so many tools that just weren't quite what I was looking for. I appreciate details.

I'll be getting in line for one of these soon.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

In Remembrance

While chatting with chuckbuster in the forum chat window last night, he apparently called his machinist, and asked the questions I was wondering about.

1) The current cannelure wheel is .060" wide. That is to say, it will create a .060 cannelure, plenty wide enough for any crimping.
    2) Additional cannelure wheels are available, in almost any knurling configuration, or as a plain, curved edge wheel, to handle any type of additional knurling, rolling, expanding operation. These accessory wheels can be made up to .250" wide, and are a easy change over. It could allow you to even roll grease grooves into plain lead swaged bullets. Or, create a cross hatched pattern for you guys who use Xlox (White Label, the best!) or Alox (Lee's version) tumble lube on swaged bullets.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Thanx Duke

First I want to be sure everyone understands I AM NOT the Machine GENIUS behind these, I'm just the marketing guy. Do to my work (Industrial Tool Sales) I happen to know some very talented individuals. The gentleman that I am working with on these is a "Old School" Tool & Die Guy, over 40 years (maybe closer to 50 now) in the trade. He is one of those increasingly rare individuals, at least in my experience, that you can give a picture or model of something to and say "Mike, can we make this better?" That is all it takes and this Cannelure Machine is proof. Handed him the "CH4D" tool and turned him loose. The pictures give you an idea of the result.

All work is guaranteed.

If interested contact me via PM.
    Thanx for the interest
    Kevin
    PM Sent...

I thought I should say, these are made to order, and being done on evenings and weekends so 3 weeks to ship after payment is received.
    Thanx for understanding
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread

Boolit Buddy
    Man...I want one! Now, who wants to buy my CH tool?
    Domari Nolo

I'm not only on the list, I'm on the schedule (3 weeks and counting). If everything works as expected, I will probably post my 'extremely slightly used' Corbin cannelure tool that I only used to cannelure about 50 BTsniper .500 bullets that a friend gave me and a handful of copper plated 45's just to see what it would do to the copper plating.

I'm in too. Kevin is a straight shooter!

Boolit Master
    Beautiful tool Duke.

You've got some massive leverage there.
    Bob

Hey DukeInFlorida - Has your new cannelure tool arrived at your house yet ? If so, and you have had a chance to cannelure some bullets, can you tell us what your impression is of this new tool ?
    Last edited by Bonz; 04-24-2014 at 09:57 AM.

I thought I should post a small update on this Tool. The one pictured was built for DukeinFlorida and was designed to do primarily handgun bullets as that is all he indicated would be needed. In talking with Bonz, Brian and a couple others it came to our attention that the tool AS PICTURED will not accommodate bullets longer than about an inch. The Engineering Department is reworking things so that most rifle length bullets will be workable along with the handgun length ones. Long story short everyone with a unit on order and all future orders will receive the New and Improved Model II. Sorry Duke, you are stuck with the Prototype! But hey now it is a One of a Kind, probably HUGE COLLECTOR value. Maybe you better just plan on climate controlled storage for it, never to be used and buy a Model II

Seriously guys, Don't worry about these changes, you WILL be pleased with the result. I just wanted to let everyone know that the tools you get will not look exactly like the pictures above. This is a new project and as you know sometimes all the details are not seen on the first try.
    Any questions feel free to contact me via PM.
    Thanx
    Kevin
    my feedback thread

works for me, thanks for the update Kevin

Just in case you were curious, here is a photo of my Corbin cannelure tool. They only 'hold' the bullet from one side and allow the other end of the bullet to protrude outside the frame if it's longer. I truly believe that holding each end of the bullet is a much better design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CorbinCann.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	103176
    Last edited by Bonz; 04-25-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast