Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Chilean Firing Pin, short?!!?

Boolit Master

Chilean Firing Pin, short?!!?

I recently bought a Mod 95, Chilean mauser, a contract rifle. However, this one had been arsenal re-barreled to 7.62mm (.308) I say it was an arsenal rebuild because none of the serial numbers on any of the parts match. Bolt, receiver, stock, sight, none match. That's typical of the arsenal rebuilds. It was one of the 29.5" barreled rifles, and caught my eye immediately. I pulled the bolt, and looked through the barrel, with was a bit rough, but could have been just dirt from poor storage. A good cleaning at home proved it to have a very smooth bore. Lots of dirt on this old thing. I slugged the bore, and it is 7.62. lands are .299, and the groves are .308. SO, I started getting the necessary plunder together to make it shoot. After some difficulty, I finally got a good mold from Lee. ist one had off-set cavities. After some heartburn, I sent it back with a letter, and one of the slugs. 10 days later, I got another from them, no charge. Test melt and cast showed perfect slugs! I was most pleased. Then I found on ebay, an old Ideal 311466 single cavity mold. After cleaning the rust out, I find it produces perfect boolits, although only one at a time. Most satisfying. Then i opted to get some match cases another guy here had. Soaked them in citric acid, and after rinsing and drying, tumbled for 24hrs. Beautiful. Tested several in my rifle, and sure enough, they have to be resized. FOR some reason at that point, I looked at the face of the bolt, and there was the firing pin, barely peaking out of its hole. I took it out, and it looked normal, but it must be short. So, not finding one in my plunder box, I ordered one from Numrich. It'll be in next week some time. POOH! I wanted to go shoot it, and the other old rifle I had gotten from the same place. The old Comblain's firing pin is sure long enough. SO, anybody know how long the firing pin of a mod 95 Mauser is? According to numrich, they are the same for the Mods 93, 95, 96. Don't know why I never looked at it before. I usually check everything. Any help out there? good natured help?????? mikey

Boolit Grand Master

Disassemble the bolt, clean the bore of the bolt body out real good, guessing there is dried up grease or cosmoline in there. Reassemble bolt and turn cocking piece so in fired position, with calipers measure firing pin protrusion, I use .050-.060" for all my mausers, some may disagree.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I didn't realize they bored the original 7mm barrels! I'd always thought they rebarreled them.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I had supposed that they had been rebarreled, but must be wrong. If it can have the chamber replaced and then rebore the barrels, that would be a significant savings for the budget, especially of done 'in-house'. I wonder if my endoscope will show me if that is what I have? I'll have to give it a shot when I get home. And I need to take the bolt apart and use a good strong light to see if the interior is clean. Don't remember if I took brake clean to this one or not. I know I did to another for a model 98 last night. Thanks for all the info. Most interesting. Thanks!!!!

I'll bet it wouldn't take a whole lot of cast bullet loads to get that gap between chamber and bore filled with lube. What might happen then if it's fired with full pressure loads?
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Well, I got my Chilean out, and took the bolt out, and started to unscrew it without cocking the piece. It naturally slipped into it's notch, and low and behold, there was the firing pin tip in its rightful place. My only excuse is that I haven't been sleeping well the past week or two, and it affects you thought processes. So, bolt is fine. Brain was defective. Now to find my endoscope, and see if I can see inside the chamber. But, what the hey, I'm gonna shot it! now, as to whether I can hit anything with it, well that will be answered soon. If I'm successful, I might even post pictures, If I remember to take my camera.......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    Well, I got my Chilean out, and took the bolt out, and started to unscrew it without cocking the piece. It naturally slipped into it's notch, and low and behold, there was the firing pin tip in its rightful place. My only excuse is that I haven't been sleeping well the past week or two, and it affects you thought processes. So, bolt is fine. Brain was defective. Now to find my endoscope, and see if I can see inside the chamber. But, what the hey, I'm gonna shot it! now, as to whether I can hit anything with it, well that will be answered soon. If I'm successful, I might even post pictures, If I remember to take my camera.......
    My God man remember to take the cleaning rod out of the barrel before you shoot it!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

That cleaning rod has been in that stock sooooooooooo long, that it would take an Act of God to get it out! Like I said, I hadn't been sleeping well. I should know better. Haven't shot it yet. I have brass prepped, boolits sized and patched, all awaiting assembly. Just need to determine a starting load. Remember that this is a 7.62 conversion. I'm also working up some loads for a '68mod Win '94 in .32WinSpec. I think I have the right slugs for it, and are wrapped to .322. Lube should be dry, then just chose a starting load. Maybe reddot, as I have so much of it. Guess I need to consult the prognostication tomes again. So much to do to go shooting. Hope it stays dry for a few days. mikey

Boolit Master

Well, I've got the firing pin sorted out, and about 80 rds loaded. Was gonna try for the range this morning, but just wasn't up to it. I hate this getting old thing. I was just so cold, I couldn't get out of the house, and felt awful. AND, when I did go to go to town, it began to rain. So there was why I feel so bad. Me and my arthritis. But, I do have some Red Dot loads for the Chilean, and some 4895 loads, with 2 different boolits, to see what it likes the best. I've loads for my Comblain, and my Argentine Mauser, and for my Mod '94 .32 Special. I should get a real bang out of that day! I will have to load up some of my new NOE .303212 boolits, that just came in, and see how the Chilean and Argentine like this these. nice new looking boolits. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOEBOOLIT.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	103227 So, the weather is supposed to be warm and dry next week, daughter is coming up to get her car worked on. have to get her to bring her little pistol, and spend the day with dad at the range, along with youngest son, and have a good time putting holes in targets! That will be a nice day. Don't get to spend time with the kids much, anymore. I miss that. CHEERS!!!!