Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Making the most of a good rifle

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    If there is any learnin goin on it isn't in these posts now is it? So where is all this learnin?

Rick
    Learning town? Hehehe.

Banned

The real learnin' is awaiting a proper classroom. If you want, there are some good textbooks to read in the meantime, particularly Veral's little pamphlet and F.W. Mann's tome.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    The real learnin' is awaiting a proper classroom. If you want, there are some good textbooks to read in the meantime, particularly Veral's little pamphlet and F.W. Mann's tome. Gear
    Got'em both and more thanks.

As I posted in the other thread . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it but I'll not be holding my breath.

I graduated Romper Room 60 years ago, no need to re-attend here. I'm done. Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    The real learnin' is awaiting a proper classroom. Gear
    Most people who went to school learned not to disrupt the class....... or you got a trip to the principals office and detention. In case most of the participants of this thread missed it, the knowledge you seek is in the archives and general posts on this and the previous iterations of this site. If they missed it, it is their fault for not paying attention, or believing the wrong people. Just looking at the posts here I see a bunch of people, like the disruptive students in class, who want without doing their homework. If you want to do better, then a proper classroom with a proper teacher, is warranted as Gear said.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The above is written by Member HARRYMPOPE. There is a piece to the fit puzzle.
    John Ardito cut the throats in the rifles he made that way. He also had the mold made that way also.... to fit that throat. A question: Does the barrels throat fit your boolit or does the boolit fit your barrels throat OR does it do neither? That determines whether or not the second method works or not.

Love Life
    I got the thinking again (dangerous) about the relax point, obturation, and spring back...and compression.

It was said that springback due to alloy was an issue as the juice started to let off as the boolit traveled the bore. Hmmm. Shouldn't springback keep the bore sealed since the boolit is compressed into the rifling, and it's springiness should keep it pushed into the rifling?

If the boolit does indeed compress (or shrink) away from the rifling...why does it do that?

I mean you are shooting .00whatever over bore diameter right? Spring back shouldn't even be there.

Banned

Good question. Compression at engraving and alloy springiness should maintain obturation regardless, at least in a perfect world. Rifle bores, even good ones, aren't perfect worlds. I can't prove it, but I'll throw out there that I think a lot of the "relax point" is the effect of lube being purged out of the grooves and trailed behind the boolit as pressure drops off. There is plenty enough gas leakage past the gas check and base to pressurize some or all of the lube grooves at peak pressure. As the pressure drops off toward the muzzle, it stands to reason that the lube might get squirted back out behind the boolit the same way pressure got in there, through tiny trailing edge leaks. Changes made only to lube viscosity by adjusting the proportion of an otherwise fairly inert ingredient will affect the time and place of a lube smear, or eliminate it entirely.

Gear

Love Life
    Gear- Which of the boolits pictured would meet the criteria for leaving the barrel with minimal damge?

Boolit Grand Master
    LL, think beyond rifling marks as damage. Think of bullet slump, uneven rifling marks from off center entrance into lands, or gas erosion in spots. Skidding along front bands can be damage too.

Lots of potential pitfalls in a rifle barrel for a soft lead bullet. Think of what happens in a revolver! It amazes me they can even shoot.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    LL, think beyond rifling marks as damage. Think of bullet slump, uneven rifling marks from off center entrance into lands, or gas erosion in spots. Skidding along front bands can be damage too.

Lots of potential pitfalls in a rifle barrel for a soft lead bullet. Think of what happens in a revolver! It amazes me they can even shoot.
    Understood. However; which boolit looks like it had a gentler ride through the barrel?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567