RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a fair price TC .54

Boolit Master

Need a fair price TC .54

Friend is selling me a TC .54

Rifle possible bag leather case. He said Hawken but the picture shows black hardware not brass. I suspect it's a Renigade.

What is a fair price to give him?

Boolit Master
    I would drop a bore light, or see pics of the barrel with one first, if bore and wood is 90%, should be $350-=300 range, what I have been seeing good clean ML's , TC's go for.

Perm-Banned
    i agree, make sure the bore is good. in rapid city s.dak they go for 275 to 375. the bore is the most important part.

I wouldn't pay more than $250 for 90% condition. I would only give $200 if it's been drilled & tapped.

Boolit Master
    Value is set in the eye's of the beholder. In other words make him a offer that benefits you. If he doesn't accept ante up a little more for the rifle to a point where he's happy and your happy. Hopefully it comes to you below value. Oh by the way his rifle may not be a Renegade either. It could also be a New Englander model. You do know there is a difference between the two. i.e. >Round barrel verses a hexagon.

In Remembrance
    Don't forget the possible bag and all the little nickle and dime items add up too. It is hard to give a price, as it varies from one part of the country to the next. States that allow scopes for instance, the sidelocks do not seem to sell near as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I see people asking 325 all the time but they don't sell. The ones that sell seem to be going for 200 to 250.

example here http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ha#Post8742247

Boolit Master
    I saw the rifle a year ago and told him of he ever sold it ask me first. I know it's in good condition but don't remember the details. Lucky stiff is turkey hunting right now.

It's not the New Englander. I've seen 3-4 come up in the $150 range and I wasn't a fan.

A nice renegade in our neck of the woods will go for about $200

Last Summer, I sold my pristine .54 Renegade for $295 at a funshow - no possibles bag (or anything else).

Boolit Master
    I would ask what he would take. let him disclose what would make him at ease. then order a 50 cal. barrel for it and have both the 50 and 54.

Boolit Master
    He asked $300 for the rifle as a Hawken, he will take less as a Renigade but I dont want to lowball a friend. I'm seeing a trend of about $200 low to $300 high or a bit above. I need to see it again but I'm thinking $275 unless there are a bunch of add one stuff with it in the bag.

Thank you all very much for the input.

Banned

Go with your friend and the firearm to the LGS and see what they will give him for it. Match it plus $10. You will both win.

Boolit Master
    Well I picked it up for $250 with rifle, possible bag, bag of balls, prelubed patches and two nipples.

The rifle I got wasnt the one I'd seen before as I'd remembered but a bit rougher. It should be a darn good hunting arm when I'm done with it though and at $250 I'm happy.

The rifle is a Renigade but the barrel is a .54 T/C replacement of some kind. It just says T/C .54 and has tool marks where it was seperated from the breech plug. Some moderate metal dings but no rust. I have the barrel soaking in food grade mineral oil now and after a couple days I'll clean the snot out of it.

The only bad thing I found is it may have a lock issue. Half cock clicks but doesnt stay in half hock, but full cock and set triggers work fine. Anybody know if this might just be an adjustment or what to look at when I pull the lock from the stock?

I also have the LEE .530 RB mold and want to add a conical mold. Looking at the LEE improved Minnie .533 410g since it has the best metplat I've seen and plenty of weight for elk. Opinions?

lock probably needs a good cleaning,do not oil the fly asit must be free moving

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Grand Master

Often it is just an adjustment or good cleaning needed. You should be able to tell once you remove the lock and play with it abit. What twist rate is it? Also sometimes the bolt holding the lock is cranked down too tight and causes stress on the lock preventing proper function. It should be snug not super tight.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    if the barrel is a t/c barrel, it will be a 1 in 48 twist. as for conical dia. it needs to be closer to .540. my maxi-balls measure .545 to .550 and i have a factory t/c renegade barrel. .533 will slide down to the breech plug and never touch the rifling. if you can..... slug the bore.

Boolit Master
    I took off the lock and played with it a bit. Soaked it in oil, scrubbed, then hot soapy water to get the oil off. Dried it by the fireplace for a bit and got a good look at waht the lock isnt doing.

I believe my issue for 1/2 cock is in the fly/sear area. Looking at replacement parts the fly is a small flapper shaped like a spearhead. And I believe the lock has 2 sears one for each trigger stage. I loosened up the three retaining plate screws and got the 1/2 cock to works sometimes. Ran out of time and reistalled but I think the set trigger may have been over adjusted, so I'm going to use T/C's set trigger adjustment procedure and see if that stiffens up that fly/sear engaement.

Those barrels are fairly soft right? I want to shape out some of the barrel ding with file/buffer before I reblue it.

Boolit Master

The best thing to do with the lock is send it to TC and let them fix it.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Grand Master

Yes the barrel material on MLs is fairly soft steel.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast