Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Loading gate modification on Marlin 1895

Boolit Master

Loading gate modification on Marlin 1895

The rifle is an older Marlin 1895 in .45-70 with the microgoove barrel.

Before I start hacking around, I thought it would be wise to check if this has been done before.

The "problem" is two-fold:

1. The loading gate spring is powerful enough to use as an axle spring on a 2-ton truck. I have arthritis and it's a pain (pun intended) to force in the fourth cartridge.

2. The interior edges of the frame are sharp enough to draw blood. It's not unusual to remove a small chunk of my thumb when trying to get that last cartridge or two into the tube.

My proposed fix is to:

1. Thin (narrow) the spring area of the loading gate a *small* amount. (I've done this successfully with flat springs in various handguns. Having not yet disassembled the rifle, I have not evaluated the loading gate.)

2. Round the inner edges of the frame at the loading gate area.

Experience? Thoughts?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never done what you propose, but don't really see any harm in doing so. Just don't go too far with either breaking the edges of thinning the spring.

Parts are still available in case the spring gets ruined.

I would just barely break the edges that are gouging your thumb. Personally, when I have a difficult to load lever action, I push the cartridges in with another round.

Robert

Pretty much the exact same thing done to the loading gate on the Rossi M92's. The gate area is like a razor from the factory, and the spring is just way too strong.
    On the Rossi, a small dowel with a super fine grit emery paper wrapped around it is just the ticket to gently smooth the area around the gate.
    If the spring is similar to the Rossi, you can gently narrow the middle and make it wasp waisted, or thin it (by the thickness) towards the middle.
    Proceed slowly, as it is much harder to put the metal back on.

Boolit Master

Of course if the loading gate is a real problem for your hands, why not just remove the loading gate completely? Won't the gun function fine without it? Just a big hole in the side of the receiver then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Personally, when I have a difficult to load lever action, I push the cartridges in with another round.

Robert
    Robert,

I did try using another cartridge, and it does work. It's still a bit rough with the arthritis (and recent hand surgery). I love getting older.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    Pretty much the exact same thing done to the loading gate on the Rossi M92's. The gate area is like a razor from the factory, and the spring is just way too strong.
    If the spring is similar to the Rossi, you can gently narrow the middle and make it wasp waisted, or thin it (by the thickness) towards the middle.
    Proceed slowly, as it is much harder to put the metal back on.
    Sounds good. I'll disassemble it this weekend and take a close look at the spring.

BTW, I like your avatar. Our cat believes in the catch-and-release system. Catch outside and release in the living room. Livens up the evening.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    Sounds good. I'll disassemble it this weekend and take a close look at the spring.

BTW, I like your avatar. Our cat believes in the catch-and-release system. Catch outside and release in the living room. Livens up the evening.

Cheers,
    Richard
    I do this stuff all the time. Just grind the loading gate spring down from both sides till it's about 1/8" wide.
    Stone the edges of everything, or use a wood stick with 400 grit sand paper to remove all the burrs.
    Assemble and see if everyhting's hunky dory. If its still too stiff, then grind a little more off till it's acceptable to you.
    A word of warning though, do not go to far! Pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered. Take off only enough to get the job done and make it manageable.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Get Mcphersons book "Accurizing the Factory Rifle". Tons of good info in there on Marlin rifles.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

It's 45-70.... why would you need more than a couple of rounds?
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Robert,

I did try using another cartridge, and it does work. It's still a bit rough with the arthritis (and recent hand surgery). I love getting older.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Hope the surgery went well.

Getting older is not for sissies.

Robert

Cheers,
    Richard
    That's awesome. Our little lady cat trapped one under our ottoman over the winter. When she catches a mouse, it's almost like she a surprised look on her face.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Get Mcphersons book "Accurizing the Factory Rifle". Tons of good info in there on Marlin rifles.
    Fortunately, I do have that book.

Cheers,
    Richard

I lightened the gate spring on my 1895 for the very same reason-------remove the spring/gate assembly and "narrow" the spring "width" a bit at a time till its comfortable for you. a light touch with a dremel tool with a grinding stone seems to work well, don't let the spring get more than warm to the touch.

Polish the edges of the spring and cold blue

As Goodsteel mentioned stone all the inside edges around the gate opening and touch up blue.

Mines a pleasure to load and much quicker to feed the rounds through the gate

Dave

there is a very real and easy way to ease up the tension on that spring attached to the loading gate ... simple and safe and works every time on all my marlins.

take a screw driver around 3/8th or 7/16ths wide flat blade ...
    insert it backwards under the rear of the action between the loading gate and the inside of the action ... think backwards from loading a shell ...
    twist the screw driver a bit and remove to test the new tension ...
    repeat till you have "unsprung" the spring to a point you desire ... be careful not to go past what you are willing to withstand in the pressure dept. to load a shell.

this procedure will not lessen the sharp corners ... but ... im bettin the sharp edges will become less a worry after the tension is lessened. I do not see the use in grinding a factory part if unnecessary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    there is a very real and easy way to ease up the tension on that spring attached to the loading gate ... simple and safe and works every time on all my marlins.

take a screw driver around 3/8th or 7/16ths wide flat blade ...
    insert it backwards under the rear of the action between the loading gate and the inside of the action ... think backwards from loading a shell ...
    twist the screw driver a bit and remove to test the new tension ...
    repeat till you have "unsprung" the spring to a point you desire ... be careful not to go past what you are willing to withstand in the pressure dept. to load a shell.

this procedure will not lessen the sharp corners ... but ... im bettin the sharp edges will become less a worry after the tension is lessened. I do not see the use in grinding a factory part if unnecessary.
    The only problem I see with that is that you're not really easing tension, you're just changing the contact angle (whatever, if it works it works right?) but the bigger issue is that if you do this, some of you are going to pop the head off that little bitty screw. What would be a much safer rout, if you're going to go that way, is to remove the gate from the rifle and put the end of the spring with the threads in a vice so as to protect it properly, make the bend, re-install, and check for function. Of course, while you had it out, you could have gone head and ground it slimmer, but if you had no access to a grinder, then the bending trick might make you happy.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

goodsteel ... thanks for that ... hadn't thought about this issue and the 5 or 6 I have done never gave a hint of popping the head off ... however this is a very good point to bring up as I do see the possibility of this happening.

as usual ... you have a very keen outlook for the "fix's" of things. thanks for keeping me at least ... thoughtful in looking at the whole picture.