Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal preservative

Banned

Metal preservative

I have herd of a material that you can put with metal for long tern storage that protects from rust.
    I think it's the same as the plastic bags that you can store firearms in.
    What is this stuff called and where can I get it?

Boolit Master
    Vapor Phase Inhibitor (VPI); Midway and Brownells sell Rust-Blox vapor tabs (midway calls them Tipton Rust Inhibitor Chips) that contain this; Brownells also sells VPI-treated paper that they call Gunwrap Paper. If you need huge quantities of either item, I'd call Brownells and ask for the manufacturer's contact info. You can also find the VPI-treated paper and tabs by running a web search.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    What about poor man's cosmoline; axel grease cut with diesel fuel? If it is an application where who can store the item/items in a container to protect everything else from the coating, it works fine. In open air it will dry down to a more tacky, grease like substance. The only down side is it takes some time to clean it off when you are ready to use the metal. It does work well on plow shares and disc blades. Yes, Grandpa and Dad were tight! We coated the scoured shares and blades every year before they were stored.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Well I used RIG back in 1976 and finally took the firearms out of the safe area around 2000 and there was not one spot of rust anywhere.

And I live right next to Lake Michigan.

I have been told the steel mills but the stuff by the 55 gal drum.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Man
    Zerust --- I use this in my Musky lure tackle boxes. Been using it for something like five years, works great so far.

http://www.zerustproducts.com/PDF/Fi...onBrochure.pdf

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Always heard it called VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) Check www.uline.com/
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-17-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

RIG beat out all the others 45 years ago. Still going strong.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    What is RIG?

Boolit Master
    http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/rig This should answer that question!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/rig This should answer that question!
    That is the real stuff.

Now get a piece of sheepskin with the wool sheared down to 1/2 inch and work the "RIG" well into the wool and one bottle will last a very loooong time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    What is RIG?
    Rust inhibiting grease

Banned
    Thanks

there's always lee's liquid alox .... but seriously if you're doing nothing else with it .... lolz
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

I've still got over 3/4 of a pint can of RIG. That's how much (or little) I've used in 20 years, and I preserve a lot of old guns. I also like linseed oil on outer surfaces. Might try a 50-50 mix of linseed and Alox. (Wasn't Alox intended as a preservative anyway?) But for bores I'll always use RIG, because it's do easy to wipe out.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Ya got me scratching! I went on line and googled. Several sources pop up, including a thread from THR in 2008 stating it was obsolete and no longer to be made. Guess that's why I don't take THR....
    So, guess who was (in my limited search) cheapest? Why MIDWAY, of course. $11 and some odd cents, for 12oz. tub.. Put one in the cart, hit the shipping button, and Ole' Larry comes back with a $3 special handling charge. AND A $19.49 SHIPPING CHARGE, UPS Ground. No options.
    Somebody shoots themself in the foot like that should not be allowed to handle guns. And yeah, it's not his fault that UPS charges that (if they do?!) but that does not change the fact$..... Can you say Amazon? $17.99 to my door. Less than the Misway/ups shipping charge.
    Consumers beware! Sheeeesssshhhh!!!
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Well I used RIG back in 1976 and finally took the firearms out of the safe area around 2000 and there was not one spot of rust anywhere.

And I live right next to Lake Michigan.

I have been told the steel mills but the stuff by the 55 gal drum.
    I coated with RIG, guns in my gunsafe in 2002. The selonid in the electronic lock went bad and I did not have it drilled until 2013. No rust at all and it was also like a family reunion with old friends.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I needed that. Now I'm done ranting, here is what I also found;

Of several visited sites, I did not see ONE bad review or comment for RIG. Every last one was superlative in their descriptions of this stuff. (Either that, or they drink the pink KoolAid) I don't know, and won't know, until I get mine, whether this stuff is any better than the generic red grease you can get at the local auto store. But all the comments seem to indicate that this stuff has done its' homework, and actually does what it claims to do. (Talking 30 year stored safe queens looking like the day they were put to sleep...etc.).......sounds like a quality product. Check back in 30 years, I'll let you know.......
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Grand Master

Midway punishes you with a HEAVY surcharge, as you just saw, if you order less than a given $ amount.

IIRC when they did their major expansion they provided space for loading everything directly onto a U P S truck as the package is sealed.

This was supposed to provide cheaper,faster shipping.

USPS flat rate generally would be better if they offered it.

I bet the kickback from U P S is enough to provide Mr Potterfield with a great trip to Africa every year.

Boolit Buddy
    The article on THR was correct at the time. I recall they did stop making it but started back up again

Perma-Banned

If you can afford it, think gold plating. Just think of the investment possibilities.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast