MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made auto-sizer.

Start line reached

Well apart from the feed tube bracket, which I am still undecided on , AS/2 works fine.

Here it is, in its raw condition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	105035

For footprint comparison, the AS/2 stands in front of the carcass of the AS/1. Footprint is now 40% the size of the original.

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	105028

Just another angle .

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	105038

Before I go all out into making these for you, I would like to take the opportunity to explain once again, these are hand-built, by an old fart, that means each one will be slightly different as I hand match the components. It also means that the welds are not machine grade perfect. They are hand laid welds and will NOT break.
    The machine will give you years of service, and are easy to customize to your specific sizing needs.

I want you guys to know all this right from the start. the AS/2 is much, much stronger, its now supported in two places, the frame was made wide enough to allow a dillion tray box to fit underneath to capture the sized casts as they drop.
    I have used a poly-nylon for the slides because it has fantastic wear resistance and abuse abilty. Also its cheap, and available everywhere. Just walk into any hardware store and pick up a $8 cutting board and you have enough materials to make 10+ slides! needs to be 12mm thick.

The new setup does away with the end stop, that is now set buy the full length threaded rod, and the ball linkage. This also means you can swap out slide with different sized holes in less than 3 seconds.

Now you have seen it, now I have got a few things off my chest, now is the time to confirm or withdraw your order. I just really wanted you guy to know the above info first.

Right I am off to the store, I ran out of mig gas this morning , plus I need more steel.

Arrgh damn pics sideways, will try to fix that now
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 05-15-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Like it more every time you share additional info. I'm confirmed for the duration.

Keep it up!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoode View Post
    Like it more every time you share additional info. I'm confirmed for the duration.

Keep it up!
    Yep I'm still all in AS/2 looks great thanks again for your help and support
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Nice welds! Can't wait to get one!!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yes sir.

Boolit Master

How we looking Mike?? not that I'm pushing or anything like that just casting tons of boolits to size, thought I'd take a short break and ask

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    How we looking Mike?? not that I'm pushing or anything like that just casting tons of boolits to size, thought I'd take a short break and ask
    I have no problems with you guys asking, to me it means you are still interested!

OK , these last few days have been full of highs and lows.. for example

When testing the AS/2 with a friend, we found at a certain tempo that the system would "catch" occasionally.
    This was found to be caused by harmonics at a certain tempo. It buggered my thought train for hours until it was discovered that having both uprights at right angle to the slide would allow the slide to get a small side to side sway.
    This sway was enough at a certain point for the top of the punch pin to foul on the edge of the slide hole.

so bug found and eliminated by making one end 90 degrees to the other.

I am trying to make this as "idiot" proof as possible, not that I am calling you an idiot!!!
    I know how and why it works, so I don't have problems, that is why I got my friend on the handle with no instructions, to see what problems if any he would have.

I have a table full of pieces of steel with "Pattern do not lose" written on them, every change I make I have to remake one or more patterns. I am close to the end point. 2 things left to cure.
    1) the ball swivel links I used, which were common are now harder to find, my local supplier has some but is quoting telephone number length prices. I am working on that.
    2) I am currently working on a Jig so I can make nice ,clean, sharp 90deg bends in the 3mm steel. Mine I bent in the vice with a FBH. It worked well for AS1, not pretty but functional, not acceptable for the new version.

Current rate of progress points to all issues resolved in the next 2 days, so by end of week, the first new shiney one should be standing on the table complete.
    That was said with my fingers crossed.

Boolit Master

Mike, anybody that thinks something is "idiot proof" completely underestimates idiots.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Mike, anybody that thinks something is "idiot proof" completely underestimates idiots.
    So true Finster
    I've got a helper that can break a cast iron bowling ball LOL

I'm stoked. I wish there were a ton of pictures, I like watching things comet together. That show How It Works is awesome!!
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    I'm stoked. I wish there were a ton of pictures, I like watching things comet together. That show How It Works is awesome!!

Just for you I will throw in 2 extra parts that don't fit anywhere, just to keep you amused for a few hours

LOL do it!! I'll have my wife record me putting it together. I might go crazy flipping things over and breaking stuff. Maybe not tho, usually I only get mad if something doesn't fit right, not extra parts haha
    Using Tapatalk

I have made a quick and dirty pan brake unit to do the bends, I was welding tags and think the bends will reduce not only welding time but make it a fraction easier on assembly.

Now all I have to do is bend 10 pieces and see how much metal is taken in the bends to end up with a desired length.
    Down side is I have to move the mounting holes 3/4", so I will weld the old ones closed and re drill.
    I would like to counter sink the mounting holes, so there is no head bolt in the way of the catch tray. Not a big issue but just neater.

I am simply amazed at you ingenuity sir.

Glad I found this thread. I will keep watching and continue to be amazed.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Just a off-hand question...

How many resizing dies do you own, or how many do you think you will end up owning?
    I only load for 9mm atm, and have 3 356/357/358 , I have an ulterior motive for asking this which you will find the answer for when you open the box at your house...

Hi JR, welcome to the mad house...

If you have ever been in the cast boolits chat room, you will know Nolan (oneOkie) , he calls me McGyver.. absolutely no idea why...

Boolit Master

Well, at the moment I am sizing .452, .358. .310 and .430 and hope to add a couple more before long.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Just for you I will throw in 2 extra parts that don't fit anywhere, just to keep you amused for a few hours
    Damn one of these days I'll learn not to drink coffee while reading this forum that was funny just right on your timing for that remark LOL

Boolit Master

Humm lets see .224 .356 .358 working on a 357 die, .401 &.452 that takes care of the pistols I plan to add another then I got the T/C in 308/223/243/222/and I'm adding a 30-06/a 45-70 barrels when I can find them,In other words I've got a box full of sizing dies, I will be retiring my 450 lyman-sizer for the most part I want to see how well your sizer handles .311 and .257 before selling off my lyman 450.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-20-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fat finger

Boolit Buddy
    356, 357, 358, 401, 402 in Lee push through.

Have a mess of for Lyman 45 mostly obsolete. Wish l could get a threaded sleeve that screws into autosizer and holds Lyman sizing dies with a set screw maybe. Use as a push through too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I have made a quick and dirty pan brake unit to do the bends, I was welding tags and think the bends will reduce not only welding time but make it a fraction easier on assembly.

Now all I have to do is bend 10 pieces and see how much metal is taken in the bends to end up with a desired length.
    If you are talking about the slide feeder, I have made simple slides using box tubing to locate a slide. Like the one below I made for a SD case feed out of 1" box tube that costs $.36/ft.

low profile unistrut can also be picked up cheap, if you don't want to fabricate everything.

Only reason for the slot vs a hole, is that the slide must retract and leave the bullet in the shell plate as the case didn't "fall" to clear the slide like the bullet will with the machine you have designed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140520_172547_250.jpg  
    Last edited by jmorris; 05-20-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast