Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made auto-sizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Short thread drift:

Dean, I've been a master auto tech for over 30 years and I now can not tell you the last time I even touched a carb. I used to be pretty decent with them but especially in a dealership shop they are long gone. I have tools that I will never use again and that the younger guys don't even know what they are.

James
    At the peak of carbs I was rebuilding 25/30 per week, now I rebuild 4/8 per month. Most of them are from car enthusiasts that have a restored vehicle or a vintage vehicle. They are still around. I also get a lot from dealers and other mechanics as they just don't have a clue.
    43 years I have been in the Auto trade.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Well Gremlin we have something in common then. Cars are changing so fast right now that you really have to read a lot and stay up on your training or you get left behind very quickly. Carbs and the older trannies before computer control were almost an art as well as a science to get just right, a whole lot more was done by feel. Now if it's in spec and ohms out....ship it!

Started on the manufacture of the extended pins today, tiz good feeling to play with the lathe. Somehow soothing watching little spirals of steel snake around.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Be easier to drill the hole to the largest boolit you want to size and just make little clip in inserts to reduce the hole for smaller casts...
    you mean kinda like powder or shot bushings like in a shotshell reloader might work here for bullet sizes?? So "The bullet bushings is born" what do you think Mike would that work?? Or we can just flip the feeder as you pointed out above.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-09-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: fat finger
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Spent some time with a aluminium guy today, trying to see if there is a possablity of getting some of the sizer made out of alloy to reduce weight, not that it is all that heavy now...

If I can do this at a reasonable cost, who would be interested in one so I can source the material quantity required.
    I might TIG the next lot , it gives a neater finnish. I know looks don't matter but hey, got to keep people happy..
    Me I'll take one or maybe two if they are reasonable cost I know your trying to reduce the shipping weight,but how bad is the shipping as is??

Humm I'm in need of one I only have one hand so this would really make my life easier, what's simple for everyone else is quite a job with one hand from a wheelchair

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Humm I'm in need of one I only have one hand so this would really make my life easier, what's simple for everyone else is quite a job with one hand from a wheelchair
    One hand operation is a breeze if you bolt it to the bench, the tube will hold 25/6 9mm at a time so there is no longer the drama of putting one at a time on the ram pin. I hated that with a passion, so much do I made this delivery device.
    If you do this with only one hand, you sir deserve a medal!.

I have finished turning the press pins that you need, I made 2 I shall turn up another just in case.

I will also supply all nuts , bolts, and hex screws necessary in addition to a drill bit you will need.
    There will be comprehensive drawings of how to, plus I am in the chat room on this forum nearly every evening (your time).

I made the original from steel I had laying around the shed, your will be made with new steel, also the footprint size for the original was not an issue, I am trying to condense the space requirements for yours. its not that difficult, just requires a little rethink of a few dimensions. Projected cost looks to be around $188 plus what ever the freight will be. If I can trim this more I shall do so.

Boolit Buddy
    I too don't care for placing and guiding one at a time on the ram into the sizing die. I have big chunky hands so constantly trying not to take a bite out of a thumb or forefinger. Not to mention father time has robbed some feeling and dexterity in the fingertips adding to the drama.

Looking forward to seeing the MK2.

Boolit Master

The cost seems quite reasonable to me. I would love to get one. I've gotten in on the powder coating craze and so far happy with the results. This tool would make PC even more enjoyable. I would be happy to send you funds for one so you are not shouldering all of the cost. It also sounds as if SSGOldfart has a greater need for one than most. I can't imagine how difficult that must be but determination is one heck of a thing.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Press_Pins.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	104622

The pin on the left is the pin that comes with the press, it has to be replaced with a pin like the 3 on the right (one hasent got the PFTE bush insert yet but will have)
    This is the hardest bit to make. These 3 pins are for the 3 guys who have put their hand up for a AS/2 unit.
    Just thought I would let you see I am making progress on them. Most materials have arrived, will make a video on how to assemble what little you need to do .
    I hope you find these as usefull as I have.

Mike.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to see PM regarding Lee press AS/2 is designed to operate with?

Arnell

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoode View Post
    Nice work Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to see PM regarding Lee press AS/2 is designed to operate with?

Arnell
    Sorry my bad, I read the PM on the computer in the house, not this one in the man cave..

Yes that's the press 90588. Due to the fact that you don't need to mod the press to any great extent, you need to drill 2 1/8th holes for a bracket, this means you could easily unbolt press turn right way up and use as a normal reloader.
    Although because its so cheap, I leave mine in the AS/1 all the time and load on a XL650.

SSG...
    I was going to motorize this, BUT, 2 issues arose..

1) IF you feed one wrong way up, it wont drop into the die properly and locks the delivery bar from returning. Don't ask me how I found that out . However when this happens the linkages just compress the spring it has and no harm is done. Simply remove the quick release die, pop out the offending boolit, slip die back in and continue on.
    IF the press was motor driven, there could be a totally different outcome, possibly ending with damage.

2) in your particular case, I would fit a Mrbullet Feeder unit to the tube. If you are sizing large amounts.
    I plan to do this in the future, the MrBullet Feeder has a option to feed nose down, which means you could size several hundered without refilling the tube manually, but again if 1 does drop base first, when using the lever you get to feel the issue and can correct it no problem.

There is nothing stopping us from sourcing some acrylic tube and preloading a few, then just as you reload primers in a dillion press you can reload the sizer from the tubes.

I have thought about ways of getting around a miss feed, and it is possible, but would entail fitting the die much lower and having to manufacture longer punch pins for each and every calibre.

To me the return for effort invested do this is not worth while. I really don't mind using the lever, on the Hi-Tek coated casts I do, there is suprising little effort required. As a plus, on loading the tube manually I have a added chance of quality control over the casts , one with air pockets or ones that didn't cast correctly have another "check-point" where they can be weeded out.

Boolit Master

Yes Sir preloading tubes is a good ideal and that "feel" each time you pull the lever,I load on a Dillion 550 so I fully understand,I'm remodeling the shop this summer already started installing a lower bench so I'm working downward instead of upwards will be easier on the right shoulder and I have room for a fixed mount btw how big is the foot print so I leave enough room?? shoot me a PM when your ready for funds
    Bob

Boolit Master

One hand operation is a breeze if you bolt it to the bench, the tube will hold 25/6 9mm at a time so there is no longer the drama of putting one at a time on the ram pin. I hated that with a passion, so much do I made this delivery device.
    If you do this with only one hand, you sir deserve a medal!.
    I've got a couple of medals they don't do much but the don't eat anything either LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The cost seems quite reasonable to me. I would love to get one. I've gotten in on the powder coating craze and so far happy with the results. This tool would make PC even more enjoyable. I would be happy to send you funds for one so you are not shouldering all of the cost. It also sounds as if SSGOldfart has a greater need for one than most. I can't imagine how difficult that must be but determination is one heck of a thing.

James
    yes Sir determination is a heck of a thing most of it is mind control and just keep at it, I don't always do stuff like the rest of you do but I guess in the end it's the same thing just takes me longer......( I might have to stop and rest awhile and just think about it, might have to build something to make it work too????????) but I'll get their
    My casting bench doesn't look that different but it operates differently then most my mentor Col. E.H. Harrison once told me" it's not what you do ,but how you do it !!!! "

Is there a payment plan option? haha
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    Is there a payment plan option? haha
    That's up to ?Gremlin460? I think the price is right "Remember you get what you pay for ?"

I sure think the price is worth it. Time is money and that saves a TON of time.
    Using Tapatalk

The foot print of the AS/1 is 200mmx400mm I made it out of a piece of 5mm plate.

The AS/2's will have a foot print of 200x200mm and be out of 4mm plate, as I warned you all at the start I always engineer way over requirements, build it once, build it to last.
    You grandkids should still be able to use these LOL.

The end design keeps evolving , every morning its slightly different, because I lay awake at night thinking of how to improve it, and make sure you guys are happy with what you receive.
    I want to make sure you get maximum use and value for money. That is high priority in all my work.

Construction has started!, looks like a mini assembly line haha.

OK now to back read the forum to see that I am making enough.

Will edit to add names

1/ SSG
    2/ pretzelxx
    3/ redwood
    4/ Finister101
    5/

Please let me know if I have missed or included people from this list....
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 05-14-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast