MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made auto-sizer.

Boolit Master
    Gremlin460,

Interested in the as2. Will it do .308? Being they are a bit longer I didn't know. If so I would like to get in line.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Gremlin460,

Interested in the as2. Will it do .308? Being they are a bit longer I didn't know. If so I would like to get in line.
    Now that is a damn fine question.. I have zero 308 projectiles.. I will have to find 1/2 dozen and see what's nessesary to run them through, I have zero doubt it will do it, just need to see what needs to be tweaked to do so.

how long are the ones you have?

the only considerations are A) when it drops into the slide, the slide needs to be "Tall" enough (see footnote) and B) when dropping out of the slide the die needs to be low enough so the slide can retract as the punch lowers.
    A) is not an issue , a "shim" can be made to sit on the slide increasing the height of the slide, and B) should not be an issue because the die has a LOT of adjustment travel.

Still I would love to run a test anyway, will hunt up some 308 mini-missiles.. worst case I will make some artificial boolits on the lathe..

Footnote.. When I built the very very first AS/1 I used whatever I could scrounge are the house and yard. The first slide I made was cut out of my wifes nylon cutting board, yes that was dangerous but I bought her a new one.. That slide proved to be too "thin" 8mm and the cast stuck up above the surface, it still worked but would not retract back under the delivery tube if you stopped for some reason. I glued a shim on the top made from acrylic and everything ran like a dream. So I think using long casts for rifles is just revisiting that situation. If so we can sort it 2 ways, I can have thicker slides cut (lots of work) or we can make a screw on/off shim(s) to suit anything you need to size.

So after that long waffle reply, YES is will do longer projectiles, I just want to test it here first. the AS/2 is very very versatile.

In fact want to work a way to make it function as a deprimer/case sizer down the track. Mainly for pistol, and not just resize the case to 1/4 from bottom garbage, but punch the case all the way through a sizing die so no more glock bulges at the base.
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 11-24-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the sound of a full case sizer off the AS2 platform. If only the cases could be fed from a GM.. eh?

Keep those creative juices flowing.

Just noticed fast approaching 500 posts in the thread. Pretty cool. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoode View Post
    I like the sound of a full case sizer off the AS2 platform. If only the cases could be fed from a GM.. eh?

Keep those creative juices flowing.

Just noticed fast approaching 500 posts in the thread. Pretty cool. Congrats.
    Cant see any reason why you couldn't feed from a GM actually...

Boolit Master
    Gremlin put me on the list. The demand for 300 blackout subsonic is ridiculous thus the .308. I will automate it. Working on bullet feeder ideas now. I swage too and this design was based on that one. My swaged bullet comes in at 1.210 inches in the 190 grain flavor. As far as bullet length on the cast it will be super close. I can give you the exact length as soon as my custom mold gets back from the cutter. We adjusted the weight a little so it is a bit off from my original design. If all works out with this mold, I will order a set for my master caster. I have a client that is possibly interested in 50000 bullets a month. I am not sizing these by hand and right now that is the only option. Thus the need for AS2.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Ok noted.. was doing 2 spares on this run anyway.. so only one left..

Boolit Master
    bullet feeder prototype for those long jokers was interesting. I have a working model. now to build it to scale. I have a buddy with a 3d printer so the plate will be much less crude than my prototype. Basically a tupperware bowl and 2 pieces of corian left over from where my sink countertop was cut out along with 8 hours of R and D. Dremel and Jigsaw came in handy. We have success! They fall *** down everytime. got to make a flipper. Gonna borrow Ausglocks idea for that.

Boolit Buddy
    jmorris has a couple posts and sketch on a flipper back around post #331.

Would be less work to make them from a block but didn't even cross my mind until I was done.

To feed a taller bullet, you just need a taller slider. In the collators you just stack two feed wheels on top of one another.

This would be an example of a tall slide feeding the same way.

Cases instead of bullets but there is little difference in the operation.

Boolit Buddy
    Where did you source that cutoff blade from and what's it's specs please?

It is old, I have had it for more than 10 years and it was used then. It is a Cardinal slitting saw made in Engliand. 4x.032"x1" 220 teeth HSS.

Will edit to add, don't use one of these above rated speed or without guards. If one came apart it would cut clean through you and you would bleed out before anyone could help you.

That was just for demonstration.
    Last edited by jmorris; 11-27-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Damn Jim ( I take it the J in jmoriss means Jim), don't you ever bolt anything down !!!! LOL..

I suppose one of the ultra thin cutting disks would do the same kinda job.. but you would need to spin it faster, or maybe even a diamond tipped blade. It is only thing brass you cutting..

Redwoode I pick up the components for your GM in the morning.. all AS/2 frames built too. Got a fiend helping out tomorrow to bead blast scale off and paint tomorrow.

Boolit Buddy
    Good deal. Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Damn Jim ( I take it the J in jmoriss means Jim), don't you ever bolt anything down !!!! LOL..

I suppose one of the ultra thin cutting disks would do the same kinda job.. but you would need to spin it faster, or maybe even a diamond tipped blade. It is only thing brass you cutting..
    It's John but "damit Jim" sounds better. I would not suggest an abrasive disk for brass, aluminum, magneasum or other non ferrous metals. They also don't have much life even when being used correctly.

I was just playing around one evening with that one. A local company wanted me to build a large rotary contraption to rough cut .223 cases for 300 bo and I felt there was an easier way to do it. That was my "proof of concept", making another now that uses the same gear motor that my annealers use and a linear slide.

Boolit Master
    Guys this is particularly why this is the best sight in the net. Love all the brainpower. Can't wait to get the AS/2 set up and running.

ADMIN

You couldn't afford to pay for all the technical knowledge you get on here (not just this thread)
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Redwoode, what colour is your AS/2 so I can supply matching GM base plate... thanx

Boolit Buddy
    A nice looking metallic gray. Believe called charcoal.

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast