WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knurling a pin?

Moderator Emeritus

Knurling a pin?

I have recently picked up a revolver that has a couple of loose pins. I am considering knurling the right end of the pin [drives right to left with the bbl downrange] but don't know how other than reefing on it with vicegrips. Is this a viable option and is there a better way other than redrilling everything and installing an oversize pin?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

A drop of blue Loctite may work to hold it in place. Vice grips would most likely work also.

Depending on the pin hardness you could use two files, but it would have to be soft and you need a lot of weight or use a vise. You can also get an over sized pin for it or make one. The later being the first route I would take.

Put a slight bend on the pins. Nothing drastic, just enough to keep them from moving out.
    Cap'n Morgan

In Remembrance

Stipple the pin with a center punch.

Moderator Emeritus

The current pin is a roofing nail. I am looking for some 1/8" stock to make one with before I grind down a #30 bit. Thanks for the ideas. It is a hammer pin for a High Standard revolver so to me stipiling make more sense than a bend, The loose lower pin could do with a slight one tho.

Boolit Master
    I have a considerable collection of hardened and stainless dowel and taper pins. I would be interested in learning what the dimensions might be of your needed pin.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

.125" x .900" is what I am going for.

Try a bolt supply store or a hardware store and see if they have some dowel pins that size.Or you could buy a .125 drill bit and grind off the shank they are about an inch long??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    .125" x .900" is what I am going for.
    Want stainless or case hardened standard .125 dowel pin? I'm 90% sure I have both. Will grind to .900 length and send it to you.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Moderator Emeritus

PM sent.

Boolit Master
    PM replied to.

- Thomas Jefferson

Go to a garage or shop that has a stick welder and pick up some arc rod nubs in 1/8". You can probably find plenty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    Put a slight bend on the pins. Nothing drastic, just enough to keep them from moving out.
    My method:

Lay a round pin on a flat surface like an anvil.

Smack pin once with hammer. This creates a less-than-round pin that will now fit tight in a round hole.

Dutch

Boolit Master

Big thumbs up to Smokeywolf!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Simplest way would be a small prick punch and light hammer lightly stiple pin in 4-6 rows the length wanted and them lightly polish to remove sharp edges and leave at the desired size. A dowel pin sounds good but is very hard normally and would punch up very well. A pin 3.5 mm is .137 dia or +.012 allowing it to be polished to fit snugly.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    My method:

Lay a round pin on a flat surface like an anvil.

Smack pin once with hammer. This creates a less-than-round pin that will now fit tight in a round hole.

Dutch
    The man is a genius.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Back to the OP question.......yes you can knurl a pin. I do it all the time. Smashing it is a poor man's quick fix, but if you really want a knurl, buy or make a 3 roller knurling tool. Simple to make. I have two pro ones that can be use in the lathe (not required) or in a vise to knurl anything round from ~3/32 to almost an inch in diameter.

Most people think knurling is done with a single wheel tool in a lathe tool post and a ton of pressure pushing in on the stock. NOT!

PM me if you want a quick drawing on how to make one.......and do it the RIGHT way!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Also, right speed, feed and lots and lots of flood coolant to wash particulate away so it doesn't get embedded in your part.

smokeywolf

- Thomas Jefferson

I'll go with the dutchman --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast