RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Felix Lube Temperature COntrol

Boolit Bub

Felix Lube Temperature COntrol

I am a little confused about the temperature control during the mixing of Felix Lube. Folks talk about heating Mineral oil and caster oil til it smokes (300+ Deg F range) yet using a double boiler. Seams like a double boiler won't heat your oil up to those temps. Water boils at 212. Or do you use direct heat up til the point that you add the bees wax. Or am I missing something?

Banned
    Use direct heat and common sense......I have made a couple hundred pounds of boolit lube and only one batch was done over a double boiler....simply ain't needed if you can afford to pay attention.....making Felix WOrld Famous Lube ovder a double boiler is just about...if not ....impossible. add the beeswax in last after some of the heat has left the pot....and you are good.

Banned

like mike says use direct heat for the smoking hot oil mixing.
    it takes time and patience [and lot's of stirring] there are no short-cuts.
    reduce the heat to add the wax [it melts at 180-f] or you'll burn it and the lanolin
    [add at 150-f].

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Guys! My set up has the capability of both direct and double boiler. For my first batch I'll try the direct heat until it's time for the bees wax. Then I'll go to the double boiler. What's the use of having all those toys if you don't use them occasionally!

Since I am going to use it as a pan lube, what I read says to add a small amount of paraffin, oz or 2. How about a crayon for color?

Banned

make it first and try it as made then muck about with it.
    I try and avoid paraffin for pan lubing it makes the lubes brittle, a small amount will change the characteristics of a lube also.
    it as a tendency to turn liquid all at once and drag the rest of the lube along with it [not always a bad thing] but it's something used to modify a lube slightly if it shows signs of needing it.
    it also has a tendency to go back to a solid in the barrel at some point [usually at the relax point] down the barrel a way's and cause an issue of lube smearing there.

Boolit Bub
    Hummm! Always good to hear the voices of experience. Sounds like the process doesn't take kindly to being messed with, yet holds the process of high quality results. I'll make a batch exactly to specs. Try it for results. If I decide to made mods I'll make a second batch. That way I'll always have the original as a test basis for different bullet shapes (including tumble lube shapes) and calibers. Other than pistol cals, what calibers and to what velocities is Felix lube good for? 308? 223?

Banned

felix is a quality lube.
    it takes modifications to match the viscosity to the temp you use it at pretty well.
    for extremely hot areas [90+] the addition of 3% carnuba wax helps it a lot.
    for the cold [-30] leave that wax out of the mix, and add in a little atf.
    it will handle pistol and rifle loads without issue, push it if you want it'll do the job.
    it is a bit soft and sticky, but it seems to mellow the more you re-heat and cool it.

Boolit Bub
    What is ATF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Salt View Post
    What is ATF
    Federal agents who want to confiscate all your guns. But I'm glad to see that someone has actually found a useful purpose for them

Jokes aside, it's Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Old Salt,
    I have always used direct heat on a gas ring. I always end up with brown coloured Felix lube even if I have put in a colour!! Reason; every batch has caught on fire when the wax has been put in, so I have learnt to have the pot lid ready. Also, maybe I should let it cool as one other poster has mentioned before adding the wax. Doesn't appear to have adversely affected it.
    Must buy an electric plate for shed use for the next batch. Peter

Boolit Bub
    Bought a new electric hot plate at the hardware store at Christmas. I use it for making lead ingots from wheel weights. Will work for the lube process as well. Made a vent system from an old stove vent hood and 6' duct that I run through the shop wall to the great outdoors. Works for getting rid of the casting fumes and will handle the lube smell as well. Also works for spray paint fumes. This winter I set up my tailgate grill on the workbench. Nothing like grilling up some brats on a cold winter evening right in the work shop!

In Remembrance

The brown is due to scorching the beeswax. Hobby stores have candle dye if you want to color your lube. I haven't seen any I'll effects from using it.