Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Cut Felt Wads?

Boolit Master

Best Way to Cut Felt Wads?

The title pretty wells ask the question.. I would like to cut hard felt wads for my .45, .50 and .54 muzzleloaders... I got some cast iron pipe nipples and sharpened one end and tried punching them out with pretty poor results... perhaps I should have heat treated them to harden them? Anyone have a good method short of buying store bought wad punches?

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I bought my two punches from a retired machinist on another forum. Very good and fairly priced ($10 + shipping). He sends them with several thick leather wads to ensure sharpness. I highly recommend him, and I'd skip the Harbor Freight junk. I bought the $7 set and it wouldn't even cut through the felt.

This fellow makes them to the size you want was well, which might be nice if you wanted an oddball size.

Boolit Grand Master

Simple is to buy gasket punches at a local auto parts store. Depends what sizes you need though. Standard sizes are often close enough like 3/4" for 12 ga. 1/2" might be a bit big for .45 and just too small for .50 cal. though.

I make what I need on my little lathe.

By the way, you cannot harden pipe except by case hardening. A heat and quench will not do anything for iron pipe.

Not a lot of help.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    The title pretty wells ask the question.. I would like to cut hard felt wads for my .45, .50 and .54 muzzleloaders... I got some cast iron pipe nipples and sharpened one end and tried punching them out with pretty poor results... perhaps I should have heat treated them to harden them? Anyone have a good method short of buying store bought wad punches?

TheMoose
    Iron pipe is very soft and has a somewhat rough interior- neither of which makes for a good punch. The better punches are of good, hardened steel. They also need to have a smooth, undisturbed interior surface with the actual sharpened bevel on the exterior. There are several sources for "store bought" punches like Buffalo Arms. Unless you can do it or know someone willing to make them of the correct design, out to the right material- might have to just bite the bullet and get a set of good "store bought" ones.

Boolit Master

punch cutter from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...-set-3838.html Cut them on a block of hardwood.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master
    I bought one some years ago that goes in my Rock Chunker press and I am not at home so I cannot look at the maker, sorry so I can not be sure but I think it is like the one in the link below. It cuts newspaper, felt, milk carton, fiber gasket material and for 30 minutes work I get a years worth or wads.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/press_mou....aspx?CAT=4112

Rotary knife is the way to go. Won't squash the felt and create the dreaded hourglass effect.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I use a cut off and sharpened 7mm Mag case for my Ruger Old Army felt wads.I can cut about 10 before i have to push them out from the drilled out primer hole.I get about 300 cuts before the case is buckled .I run it in the FL die and resharpen and back to it for another 300.After that its pretty much ready for a new case.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    This place oneshots advice look a whole gaggle of them punches. 54 wads you might have to buy those pre made >28 gauge is close. Consider Circle Fly wads.

http://www.circlefly.com/html/wad_sizing_chart.html

Boolit Master

If you can spin the punch/cutter in a drill press it will cut cleaner and easier.

Larry

Perm-Banned
    i broke down a few years back and bought cutters for .40 .451 .458 and .50. barrels. from buffalo arms. they arent cheap but strong and well made. they fit on a loading press and with a downward motion of the lever the round cutter goes up into a slot and cuts a perfect felt or fiber or poly wad. once you have one of these your always set for perfect wads. also you can buy felt wads from buffalo arms fairly reasonable. if your going to make a cutter, do it on a lathe and make sure it is razor sharp. heat treat it and sharpen again. make sure the board you cut through on isnt of a type that dulls it fast. wads do help accracy.

For 45 cal wads I chuck the harbor Freight hole punch (7/16") into my drill press, put it on slow speed and punch the wads out over a hardwood block. Then I lube them after collecting them off the floor & table.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Banned
    I use cheap comblock gasket punches, I sharpen them by hand and use ENDGRAIN hardmaple for the cuttinblock....never any issues here and I make a bunch of em from durofelt.

I'll second the recommendation to have OhioRamrod make some custom ones for you. If you make a go with what you have, have a hard surface underneath, like thick plastic or hardwood, 2-3 good whacks with a mallet should do it through 1/8" felt. Harold made 3 for me and I'll be ordering up a couple more soon.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Buddy
    There are some nice high dollar wad cutters out there. What you are punching on is more important than the cutter you use. I have a 30in piece of 4x6 i stand on end and use it as a table. I use a cheap set of harbor fright wad punches that i have never sharpened. Using a HF 16oz dead blow hammer one hit one wad. All so works great when using Lee Loaders.

Boolit Master
    you need a 7/16 a 1/2 and a 9/16 arch punch. you spin them in a drill press to cut the wads out. i do it for my wads i make grease cookies and hard card wads out of.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    HF gasket punches!

banger

In Remembrance

I have some of the press-mounted wad cutters from BuffaloArms in .38, .40, .45, & .50. I use Durofelt 1/8 inch stock, cereal boxes, and recycled LDPE can tops. In a half hour I can cut a several hundred perfect wads while listening to books-on-tape. 5X the productivity and 1/4 the energy using other methods. (and I have tried everything others have suggested here) Only so much time in the day and I'd rather be shooting not punching out wads. I use felt, card, and LDPE wads in many of my loads, both black powder cartridge, and muzzle loaders to include revolvers. Wads can improve many loads but the time to make them (or their cost) has to be worth the investment.

Boolit Master
    I have made some punches by simply sharpening the end of stainless steel tubing. Sometimes I sharpen the tubing so the sharp edge is on the outside diameter, sometimes in the inside. Just depends what I'm after. But no, I have not used them to cut felt wads. I normally rest whatever I'm cutting on the end grain of a piece of 4x4. Punching on the end grain seems to cut cleaner than on the side grain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I have made some punches by simply sharpening the end of stainless steel tubing. Sometimes I sharpen the tubing so the sharp edge is on the outside diameter, sometimes in the inside. Just depends what I'm after. But no, I have not used them to cut felt wads. I normally rest whatever I'm cutting on the end grain of a piece of 4x4. Punching on the end grain seems to cut cleaner than on the side grain.
    Yes makes a big difference i use a 4x6 just a little bigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast