Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre heating molds

Boolit Mold

Pre heating molds

What is the best way to pre heat molds? I have been using steel molds and would like to know if using a propane torch to slowly heat them would be to quick?
    GOD Help us Help OURSELVES, the United States of America

On Heaven's Range

For decades now, I've pre-heated all my moulds by simply dipping the two outer corners of the mould into the molten alloy in the pot. This includes steel and aluminum, and 1-2-3-4 cavity moulds. NO PROBLEMO!

Hold the mould in the molten alloy until the alloy no longer appears to cling to the blocks, wipe off any residue, and go to casting.

About fifteen seconds seems sufficient in my set-up with a two-cavity mould, and somewhat longer with a 4-cavity job.

You will have to experiment a bit to find your own routine.

Note that I have well over a hundred moulds, and have never warped one of mine, nor have I even SEEN a warped mould.

You have a heat source right there in your pot; why mess with torches or hotplates???? _

K-I-S-S, brother....

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use a Protor-Silex electric hotplate with a piece of ceramic tile placed over the Calrod coil, on medium setting, and verify with 300 degree Tempilstik crayon on mold block.

In Remembrance

I use a solid burner hot plate.

Moderator Emeritus

I've posted this many time before.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I use a hot plate to heat my moulds and to also heat up some ingots that can be put into the pot to help keep the temperature of the pot from falling down too far like when a room temperature ingot in dropped in. If I was not going to cast a lot of bullets or large heavy bullets that requires me to re-fill the pot when casting I would probably just dip the corner of the mould into the melt like Bruce B.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the pic. Really cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Boolit Mold
    Nice idea, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Electric hotplate is the ONLY way to heat molds!

Works great, and you can control the temp with the dial on the unit.

I use one of those solid flat 800 watt plates. Start it up when you plug in your pot and the molds will be ready when your lead is. Also use it at lower temps to pre-head ingots so your pot will be ready faster when you add more!

banger

^ What he said.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I use a hot plate with a piece of galvanized steel folded into a small shelf to hold the mould out of direct contact with the plate and with a small box folded out of the same metal and pop riveted together to cover the mould on the heating element to hold the heat around the mould. I think it helps for more even heating of the mould.

Boolit Master

I just place the mold across the top of the pot(over the lead) when I turn it on covered with aluminum foil. I come back in 20-25 minutes and start casting with keepers right off the bat. Works great.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

In Remembrance

I use my very old $1 yard sale 2 burner electric hot plate, probably from the `50`s. On each burner I placed a 6x6" piece of 1/8" cold roll steel. I place the control on medium and place my mold on the plate with the handles held higher than the plate so the full underside is in contact. After about 15 minutes I try casting a few times. Usually it is warm enough now that I have very few boolets to throw back.Robert

Boolit Master

I use an electric hot plate but, if my casting cycle is interrupted I dip the mold corners in the alloy.

Larry

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=bangerjim;2739125]Electric hotplate is the ONLY way to heat molds!QUOTE

Sorry, pard.... it just ain't so.

Because YOU prefer a hotplate doesn't necessarily make it the "only" method for others.

I have over a half-million GOOD bullets and almost fifty years of casting.... but I'm not saying that "my way" is the "only" way
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

I am a "dipper" like BruceB, especially with all my aluminum moulds.

I also use a propane torch after cleaning the mould with carburetor cleaner. I only heat it enough to watch the moisture sweat out of the blocks and cavities. I then start casting and get very good bullets within a pour or two. Never used a hot plate and probably won't, especially down here in AZ where warming up the mould isn't the problem.........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I need to put a handle on mine

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    [QUOTE=BruceB;2739548]
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Electric hotplate is the ONLY way to heat molds!QUOTE

Sorry, pard.... it just ain't so.

Because YOU prefer a hotplate doesn't necessarily make it the "only" method for others.

I have over a half-million GOOD bullets and almost fifty years of casting.... but I'm not saying that "my way" is the "only" way
    What the HXXX is with people on the site recently??????????? Thin skin.....touchy.....whatever!

Most of us express our OPINIONS on what works, not gospel. I said what I feel, not rules everybody is expected to follow. That is what this site is all about. We are not writing a cast-in-stone book.

Friend....just give it a rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

On Heaven's Range

On reviewing my post, I l don't find it to be either "thin-skinned" or an "over-reaction".

The tone is measured and even and it was correct because your statement was an absolute declaration that there is no other way than a hotplate to preheat a mould.

Many new casters come to this website, and I want to ensure that the information they receive is both accurate and as wide-ranging as possible.

I've been here for about nine years, and your accusation is the first time I can recall wherein I was called thin-skinned.

If anything, I think that YOU are demonstrating the thin skin, but anytime someone makes such a blunt declaration as yours ("the only way"), he can expect to be called on it. There are very few absolutes in the casting hobby (if any) and the adage "Never say never; never say always" is still very true.

Give it a rest? Not when I think I being unjustly accused of, at best, poor manners.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast