MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: kimber Montana 358 win

Boolit Buddy

kimber Montana 358 win

I am thinking about buying a Kimber Montana with the intention of turning it into a 358 win. That is about all I know. I have questions that I hope some of you can answer. First off, I need to know if I re-barrel using a #2 or #3 contour, is there enough meat on the Kimber stock to hog out the barrel channel and have it full length bedded? Anybody got a barrel recommendation? What length? I want to end up with a fairly light weight quick handling multiple purpose rifle that is slightly muzzle heavy for better off hand shooting for use in any weather. That's not too much to ask for is it?
    Any and all info, advice, opinions, or other options are welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

If you are talking about the Montana with the grey synthetic stock, you may want to reconsider it. Those stocks are some kind of tough to cut and have a lot of kevlar in them. I have had to open up the barrel channel on several and once you cut through the shell there is nothing but foam and it gets a lot less rigid, as well as being extremely difficult to cut. If you are thinking the wood stock, then yeah no problem. I have a 358 with a Kreiger #2 contour barrel (Kreiger won't make them that light but I did) and it works quite well. Sounds like a neat project you have in mind, and it should be quite a delightful hunting rifle when it's done.

-Nobade

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would call them, and ask if they would chamber one in .358 at the factory.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I had a Montana re-barreled. The smith was familiar with the grey polymer stock and refused to hog it out. He said there was not enough structure. The replacement stock contour barrel was near a drop in and I thought it was a number 2. My memory is not certain on that. I would ask around about feeding. While I would not expect troubles from a .358, I would not just blithely assume it will work. My factory stock Montana would not feed a .308 without being worked on.