Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lead bullet pressures are greater than jacket bullet pressures of the same weight

Boolit Master
    Figured the thread could have some more data. I'm not saying one way or the other as it's been tested with labs to show both an increase in pressure/velocities with cast bullets, however not all cast bullets are the same. I know this data is formed with the use of Cast Performance Cast Bullets and their BHN as stated on their site is 18-21 BHN. Other data could have been used with softer bullets, swaged bullets, who knows and there in lies more variables to load data that is published by companies that use pressure testing equipment.

Last edited by RobS; 04-25-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    What is SFT, and what is CPB ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    What is SFT, and what is CPB ?
    SFT = Swift Bullet company jacketed HP and CPB = Cast Performance Bullets a bullet company

found the PDF online finally.........page 17
    https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%...c%20Manual.pdf

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...sku=0019245325
    Last edited by RobS; 04-25-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added info.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitespider View Post
    Better check your facts.
    Typically the babbitt material covering main and rod bearings contains less than ˝% lead (like o.3 or o.4%).
    They are a tin based alloy and contain more copper and/or antimony than lead. They work because of a "pressurized" lubricating system that "floats" the crank journals within them. The reason for the "soft(ish)" layered alloys is not for their "slipperiness"... rather so it doesn't destroy the crank when the bearing fails.
    I think the engine bearing material is porous so as to hold oil in the pores, otherwise, you would wipe out a crank evertime you started the engine.

Boolit Master
    I wonder why all the listed pressures for the SFT jacketed bullet are all the same at 52,600.
    On the first load with the cast boolit on the max load what does the C after the charge weight represent?

Boolit Master
    C probably stands for compressed load which is interesting as the Cast Performance PB boolit is looking like it takes up more case volume vs the Swift Jacketed bullet since they have the same max charge yet the cast boolit is seated to a longer OAL. I assume the H110/296 load is what they determine as the same since they are only different by lot number (same powder company makes both), the same thing they do with their HP38 and Winchester 231 info. As to why the max charges for the LilGun and 4227 being 52,600..............beats me.
    Last edited by RobS; 04-25-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
    Yes, I said that and since that post I have been convinced, by those with Pressure Testing Equipment, that with "All things being equal a lead bullet will generate higher pressure than a jacketed bullet".
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Figured the thread could have some more data. I'm not saying one way or the other as it's been tested with labs to show both an increase in pressure/velocities with cast bullets, however not all cast bullets are the same. I know this data is formed with the use of Cast Performance Cast Bullets and their BHN as stated on their site is 18-21 BHN. Other data could have been used with softer bullets, swaged bullets, who knows and there in lies more variables to load data that is published by companies that use pressure testing equipment.
    Oh My,
    Look at THAT Data. More powder with the CB loads yields similar or higher velocities and less pressure
    Heck...Hodgdon's pressure meter must be out of calibration

All things can not be equal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Code:
     BULLET WEIGHT
    250 GR. LYMAN CAST
    Starting Loads Maximum Loads
    Manufacturer	Powder	Bullet Diam.	
    C.O.L.
    Grs.	
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Hodgdon	H322	.376"	2.500"		24.0	1,534	22,500 CUP		27.0	1,692	27,600 CUP
    Hodgdon	H4198	.376"	2.500"		18.5	1,408	17,100 CUP		24.0	1,740	26,200 CUP
    Code:
     BULLET WEIGHT
    255 GR. BAR JFP
    C.O.L.
    Grs.	
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Hodgdon	H322	.375"	2.620"		27.0	1,603	25,500 CUP		33.0	1,830	28,200 CUP
    Hodgdon	H4198	.375"	2.620"		24.0	1,554	21,400 CUP		28.0	1,788	26,700 CUP
    This data is from Hodgdon.

Note the Lead bullet used 4gr LESS of H4198 and 6gr LESS 322 to achieve similar pressures.

I would take a screen shot, but I don't know how.

How about this:

What the **** does this whole supposition matter?

You load to book standards, or you generate your own loads based on experience and knowledge of pressure signs. You judge accuracy by where your boolit hits compared to where you aimed, and you judge performance on targets. You then record actual velocities obtained, and if you have the equipment, pressures. Who cares if the pressures are higher or lower if the boolit is performing well?

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I think the engine bearing material is porous so as to hold oil in the pores, otherwise, you would wipe out a crank evertime you started the engine.
    Technically correct... sort'a... "porous" ain't quite the correct terminology.
    But that's another discussion...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
    Code:
     BULLET WEIGHT
    250 GR. LYMAN CAST
    C.O.L.
    Grs.	
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Hodgdon	H322	.376"	2.500"		24.0	1,534	22,500 CUP		27.0	1,692	27,600 CUP
    Hodgdon	H4198	.376"	2.500"		18.5	1,408	17,100 CUP		24.0	1,740	26,200 CUP
    Code:
     BULLET WEIGHT
    255 GR. BAR JFP
    C.O.L.
    Grs.	
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Pressure
    Hodgdon	H322	.375"	2.620"		27.0	1,603	25,500 CUP		33.0	1,830	28,200 CUP
    Hodgdon	H4198	.375"	2.620"		24.0	1,554	21,400 CUP		28.0	1,788	26,700 CUP
    This data is from Hodgdon.

Note the Lead bullet used 4gr LESS of H4198 and 6gr LESS 322 to achieve similar pressures.

I would take a screen shot, but I don't know how.
    Look again. The longer COL for the jacketed EASILY accounts for the discrepancy.

Boolit Master
    Put another way, unless the projectile is seated into the lands, longer COL (cartridge overall length) will result in lower pressure.

Do ya' suppose that possibly... maybe... could it be that it ain't as simple as some of y'all wanna' believe it is??
    I mean... just throwin' this out... suppose ya' compare a jacketed to a cast and start with low powder charges/pressures. Suppose those low charges ain't enough to obturate the bases of either. Now, as you work up the charge/pressure one base does begin to obturate (who knows which?), and further up the ladder the other does... what do you suppose the pressure comparisons will look like at those different points?? What happens to pressure when acceleration gets to the point where the cast begins to actually slump?? What if it runs short of lube at some point in the barrel?? Does barrel condition (pitting, roughness, etc.) affect the friction coefficient of one more than the other?? Rate of twist?? Free bore and lead angle of the lands??

This discussion has reached the point where no more value can come of it... there's been multiple examples shown where somebody's load date supports one side or the other of it. OK... I get it... or, at least I think I do. Something during testing prompted Western Powders to believe, at least as a general rule, that cast (of like weight) will generate higher pressures at identical powder charges in the barrels they tested (and there's similar statements in the Lyman, and other manuals). But at the same time, every manual I've ever read also states, even warns, there are no hard-fast set rules... every gun is a law unto itself, and variances in reloading technique alone can negate any "general" rule established by anyone (and that includes Lyman, Western, and whoever else).

I know I've seen it go both ways... using typical "observational" evidence as a reloader and amateur (very amateur) ballistition. I don't believe Western stated that as an always, without exception, hard-set fact... heck, even I know better than that...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitespider View Post
    Do ya' suppose that possibly... maybe... could it be that it ain't as simple as some of y'all wanna' believe it is??

I know I've seen it go both ways... using typical "observational" evidence as a reloader and amateur (very amateur) ballistition. I don't believe Western stated that as an always, without exception, hard-set fact... heck, even I know better than that...
    Exactly and what I mentioned from my beginning post with the variables.....to many examples that support both causes because both exist and labs have proven this as the data is there. People can state whatever they want however fact is there in both directions concerning cast bullet/jacketed bullet load data comparison and there is no absolute and making a statement that is one sided is refuted or supported with lab tested data. It is all there folks.

Boolit Master
    So I have to ask, has any of this changed anyone's mind from what it was regarding this subject before this thread started?
    My guess is I think not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    So I have to ask, has any of this changed anyone's mind from what it was regarding this subject before this thread started?
    My guess is I think not.
    Not mine but then again I seen it from both accounts from the beginning and stand by the fact there is no definable absolute other than proven lab pressure data which of course can be taken into account at each particular lab with such utilized firearm, loaded ammunition and pressure testing equipment.

Boolit Master
    Compare the Lil Gun loads. It takes 3 grains more powder to achieve essentially the same velocity with the cast aswith the jacketed and it did so with much less pressure.

What we need to see is an identical load with both bullets with the bullets seated to the same depth producing same usable case capacity. There may still be some difference because different ogives will produce differences in bullet travel prior to engaging riflings but that is probably the best that can be done without firing one series from the gun and then modifying its throat for the second series.

Boolit Master
    This has been resolved....several times during this thread. Clearly Western Powders' general statement is incorrect. All other things being equal.... except we have established beyond all reasonable doubt that all other things are never equal.

Boolit Master
    Y'all lemme know when it's all figured out.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master

And it may be useful to note that those Cast Perf boolits are typically harder than
    the hinges of hades, so likely on the high end of boolit pressures.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast