Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Has anyone used the Free Chex 4 yet?

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Has anyone used the Free Chex 4 yet?

If you look on gun broker Charlie is offering a new tool, the freechex 4. It looks like the biggest change is that he has done away with the slot cut into the side of the tool. It also appears to have a much beefier return spring.

Does anyone have one yet?

Boolit Master
    What is the starting price? Or is it this is how much it is price?

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    I think that is his buy it now price

Boolit Master
    Looks like the metal strip width has to a certain dimension with the groove instead of the slot.

I think I saw the picture correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    Looks like the metal strip width has to a certain dimension with the groove instead of the slot.

I think I saw the picture correctly?
    Correct. He is speccing the die to use material from Yonky. Basically a commercial tool. The new design avoids the weak point of the cut through the die. Of course it's only a weak point for the ham fisted but you have to make things for a the lowest common denominator.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Correct. He is speccing the die to use material from Yonky. Basically a commercial tool. The new design avoids the weak point of the cut through the die. Of course it's only a weak point for the ham fisted but you have to make things for a the lowest common denominator.
    Ham fisted being called "air presses"

I have tested it, it is a welcome tool but to run checks like I do it needed tweaking. I have since started making my own.

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    Ham fisted being called "air presses"
    No. I know of people who have broken tools with mallets. How they do it is beyond me.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

In Remembrance
    Jeff I know a guy who hammered a tapered chisel down a 22 cutter and split it! Called me to see if I had an extra cutter. He did't want to tell Charlie what he did. He! He! Early on I did the same thing with a 30 caliber cutter and flared the mouth like a cookie cutter. My O My the things we do when we get in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    No. I know of people who have broken tools with mallets. How they do it is beyond me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    Jeff I know a guy who hammered a tapered chisel down a 22 cutter and split it! Called me to see if I had an extra cutter. He did't want to tell Charlie what he did. He! He! Early on I did the same thing with a 30 caliber cutter and flared the mouth like a cookie cutter. My O My the things we do when we get in a hurry!
    I used an old section of cleaning rod, worked like a charm!

Boolit Grand Master

Does the new design prevent stacking jams? I just bought two more IIIs from him. Wish I would have known about the new design since all I use is Yonky's material. Even from a non commercial perspective it's a welcome change. All you have to do is feed from the spool and work the press. One less thing to worry about and it will increase your production time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Does the new design prevent stacking jams? I just bought two more IIIs from him. Wish I would have known about the new design since all I use is Yonky's material. Even from a non commercial perspective it's a welcome change. All you have to do is feed from the spool and work the press. One less thing to worry about and it will increase your production time.
    No, the one I got to test had a super heavy spring that would compound the jammed checks in the tube, as you could not feel the check get stuck. Then the tube would stack full and you risk busting the stem to clear them out.

Now I will say the spring is necessary for air presses, but it needed finish work to be up to smooth operating standards

Boolit Buddy
    338 Rem: What improvements did you suggest in what seems to be "prototype"? How many checks did you make? What Caliber? How long did you have it? - tj

Banned

I had it over 3 weeks and ran roughly 70,000 checks with it, it needs smoothing up for the most part, just some fit and polishing.

I make my own checkmakers now as I have a design that works better on air presses.

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    The Freechex Four is a much better tool in my opinion as it needs to have a accurate strip width to use and burr free for feeding the tool,now then who would sell such metal? oh yes that would be me
    BTW james(sagebrush) i have your freechex 4 sample coil ready to ship,let me know how it goes.
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Buddy
    I caught him (Charlie) on the train, or the train had him captured last week. Spoke to him about the four. The heavy duty spring is to extract the cutting plunger from complete holes in soft sticky material such as copper or tough gripping thick brass. Proper springs a continuing problem. The intentions are strictly for small semi-commercial use and a limited run of tools. He indicated “ possibly a solution in search a problem”. He seemed not caring how many places the tools are copied or improved on. He said he could not even find ammo etc in his favorite haunts in the rural southwest. He admires self reliance and DYIers. He did say the extra bronze and springs were $15. in raw martial costs.

We still don’t know what version 338Rem had to test! -tj

Banned

I had the 35/338 tool.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had one of Charlie's prototype Freechex IV tools in .30 caliber for about 8 weeks. This particular tool was designed to use .011" (+/-) material. I have been testing aluminum, copper and brass from .008" to .016" thickness. I find a bit of extrusion with the .0145 - .016" material. So far I have produced something in the range of 2500 checks with it. I am not a seller of gas checks and I use an arbor press. I can't speak to air-presses or ham fisted users. (I think the 70,000 check test Josh, 338RemUltraMag, gave it would have been more conclusive in that regard than mine.)

I like the tool and the way I use it, it performs very well. I have ran into occasional 'sticking' of the cutter. My 'sticking' is on the return stroke, not the jamming in the cutter tube which Josh or dragon813gt spoke of. I have the older standard spring, not the new stronger variety. Lubricating the cutter with a light oil does help.
    I have not seen need to lubricate or clean the strip as has been suggested elsewhere. However, I am using a high quality material. Being associated with Yonky and www.coilandfoil, of course I use his material. Why would you use anything else.

Some of the softer type materials can leave a residue on the inside of the tool. If allowed too accumulate I can see how 'stacking' can occur. I suggest an occasional thorough cleaning with a spinning bronze bore brush and solvent eliminates that issue.

It does require material of the proper width - with very little variation. I have tried cutting some bulk stock with my paper cutter and found it unacceptable. That method is too hard to hold a close width tolerance.

One thing I have found; there is never an issue in advancing material in the slot. That is a problem I have had with various other tools which employ the slot concept.

Once I have completed my testing I will be returning it to Charlie. (You may find it on Gunbroker)
    I just don't work that much with 30 caliber to warrant keeping it.

Charlie has told me, and as JeffinNZ and tjones indicates, this tool is aimed at the person who offers checks for sale. As of yet I have not seen the price points for the FC-IV tool. All in all, it is a very good tool and highly recommended for the person who sells checks or requires a lot for his own use.
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.