WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Decent priced target scope for 22

Boolit Buddy

Decent priced target scope for 22

Im in the market for a decent tarvet scope to put on my remington matchmaster once it is finished. I have a budget of up to 150 with 150 being a push. With that being said what are some recomendations for some scopes. Thanks.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Tasco makes a verygood 24 power target scope near that price range.

Boolit Master
    What kind of target shooting are you talking about benchrest, prone, and position and at what distance? I can think different powers to suit different needs.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_r...iflescopes.htm
    Conclusion

In the case of these rimfire scopes, it turns out that price class is a good indication of performance. The high priced Sightron and Leupold scopes are the most refined and the overall best scopes. They are suitable for a wide range of applications (including centerfire rifles and target air rifles) and will last for many, many years, delivering excellent performance the entire time. If you own a deluxe rimfire rifle, you owe it to yourself to try these scopes.

The medium priced Burris, Weaver and Nikon models are well made and, of course, they are more affordable to mainstream shooters than the deluxe scopes. The Burris Timberline would be a good choice for a .17 HMR rifle, the 2.5-7x Weaver Classic is one of the few rimfire scopes available in this very useful magnification range and the very sharp 4x Nikon is ideal for adult .22 LR rifles. Most serious rimfire shooters and hunters will be well satisfied with any of these scopes.

The low priced Simmons and Bushnell scopes work better than their modest cost would suggest. For the shooter on a strict budget, they are a big improvement over iron sights. There are a great many inexpensive rimfire rifles out there and a lot of them are wearing Simmons or Bushnell scopes. So are some high quality adult rifles, like our Browning A-Bolt Medallion test rifle.
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...-staff-bdc-150
    There is no abundance of good rimfire scopes—in fact, there are damned few—despite the fact that that the .22 is the foundation of any serious shooter’s gun collection. I guess most people feel that when they've bought the gun they've shot their wad (as it were) and look for something cheap and rotten to use as a sight.

This brings us to the new Nikon Pro-Staff BDC 150 3X-9X-40. It is a very, very good scope, and it comes with Nikon’s BDC reticle, which will enable you to shoot out to 150 yards. This particular reticle is calibrated to work only at 9 power, and only with hyper-velocity (1,600 fps) ammo, but with a little experimental shooting, you can adapt it to just about anything.

For example, I found that with high velocity ammo (1,200 fps) I could sight dead on at 25, which still had me dead on at 50 yards, and that, using the scope at 4X and sighting with the topmost BDC aiming circle, I was dead on at 100 yards. And that’s all I need.

Aside from that the BDC 150 is a full-sized scope (You’ll almost certainly need high rings.) that has brilliant optics and superb adjustments. Indeed, the adjustments are among the most accurate and positive that I have used on any scope, rim- or centerfire.

And now, you’re thinking, we come to the part where he says that the price is $1,098.35, but that it’s a great investment. No. This is the part where I tell you that the MSRP is $169.95 and that I see it on the Internet for $126. This makes it one of the great optical bargains of the year, or perhaps the century.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I am extremely impressed with the Nikon Products. They are as sharp and clear ss about anything out there bith scopes and binocs. I took a pair of Monarchs to Africa a few years ago. People had Zeiss, Leica etc but kept borrowing mine and couldnt believe how clear they were at over 50% less cost
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

On Heaven's Range

The original post doesn't give much detail, beyond saying it would be a "target" scope.

What SORT of "target shooting"?

Bullseye position-shooting competition? Silhouette? Casual plinking? Varmints?

Being a Remington Matchmaster, it suggests formal competition, but the sublime accuracy of such rifles makes them formidable in the game fields as well.

For a true competition rifle, repeatable adjustments are critical and this would require a higher-quality sight, but for less-demanding applications there are many other options.

For most non-Bullseye-type rimfire shooting, I'm very impressed with moderate-priced "muzzle-loader and shotgun" scopes.

For not much over a hundred bucks in 2-7X variable models, they usually have 1" tubes (better field of view), 1/4-minute click adjustments, and are parallax-free at 75 yards (much better for a .22 than the 150-yard parallax-free setting of "big game" 1" scopes).

Om top of all this, their construction is such that it will withstand the heavy recoil of the shotgun.

I have mounted a couple of them on .22 rifles, as well as one on a Mini-14. All are doing very nicely indeed.
    Last edited by BruceB; 04-17-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy

Well the barrel has been relined and if it shoots well I?I may attempt shilhouette. But mainly for plinking and possibly small game as well.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master
    For plinking and possibly small game I would suggest a 3-9x scope with parallax correction like a air gun scope or a 4-16x at most.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Check out the BSA line. I have used the 3x12-44 Air Rifle scope on things from magnum springers to 300 Win Mag with excellent results. Natchez usually has them for something less than $100. The scope has target turrets and AO. Reasonably clear, bright, repeatable and sturdy for a scope in this price range. If my RWS 54 hasn't torn it up yet, it has to be tough since the 54 is a notorious scope killer. Plus a lifetime warranty, for whatever that is worth.

Boolit Mold

Boolit Master
    There are no good scopes in the $150 range, sorry. There is a company called "Sightron" that makes one of the most inovative ideas/patent in the industry. Once the reticle is adjusted, it will NOT change unless you change the settings. The cheap scopes will and do change forward and back and all over!

You won't get it for $150.00 unless you find one used witch isn't impossible, nor easy. My advice would be to go to there website, read up, find one you like. Then look for reviews in the industry or talk to the people who have them and shoot often.
    I have Leupolds and if I could get the same powers in Sightrons with the reticles I wanted in the same condition I would really consider trading.

If you could find some of the really old Bushnell Scope chief 30/40 years old in as new condition (some had a lifetime gurantee) they were Ok type scopes, but they would probably cost a lot more now.

Bottom line, my opinion, a cheap scope will make you misserable, sorry, but thats the truth. Advice, save your coins and buy quality, you'll never regret it. There is nothing wrong with iron sights, since most deer are shot under 100 yd. That's an easy distance with iron sights.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Changeling; 05-02-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Another vote for sightrons, their hard to beat. I use these on my anschutz 54 & winchester 52 sporters.

Attachment 104136

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    There are no good scopes in the $150 range, sorry. There is a company called "Sightron" that makes one of the most inovative ideas/patent in the industry. Once the reticle is adjusted, it will NOT change unless you change the settings. The cheap scopes will and do change forward and back and all over!

You won't get it for $150.00 unless you find one used witch isn't impossible, nor easy. My advice would be to go to there website, read up, find one you like. Then look for reviews in the industry or talk to the people who have them and shoot often.
    I have Leupolds and if I could get the same powers in Sightrons with the reticles I wanted in the same condition I would really consider trading.

If you could find some of the really old Bushnell Scope chief 30/40 years old in as new condition (some had a lifetime gurantee) they were Ok type scopes, but they would probably cost a lot more now.

Bottom line, my opinion, a cheap scope will make you misserable, sorry, but thats the truth. Advice, save your coins and buy quality, you'll never regret it. There is nothing wrong with iron sights, since most deer are shot under 100 yd. That's an easy distance with iron sights.

Good luck.
    OK. Lets see if I understand this correctly. There are no good scopes for $150 but Sightron scopes are the greatest thing since canned beer. Sightron SIH 3x9-40 are available, new in the box on ebay for less than $100. I am therefore to assume that a $100 scope is good but a $150 scope is not. I'm not sure I fully grasp the concept.

Please define "cheap".