MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK I've tried LLA reduced and 45-45-10

Boolit Bub

OK I've tried LLA reduced and 45-45-10

Well I have tried them both and I am still getting lead traces in the barrels of my 45 ACP and 9mm.
    What next? I suppose my BOOLITS aren't hard enough as they are made from mostly stick on WW with some clip-ons.
    BUT they seem to shoot good. Funny thing is the same alloy shoots REAL good in my .357 mag. Using Unique in the semi-ottos and H-110 in the mag.
    Is the Unique too fast in the Ottos?
    I am sized .001" over in the .45. Don't know about the Maggie or 9mm grooves. Just sized .001" over nominal and shot them.

Boolit Grand Master

Might try the LLA straight and applied as per the instructions.

I'd add 2% tin to the alloy also.

Larry Gibson

In Remembrance
    Might also make sure you're not swaging the boolits down during the crimping process, especially if you're using a FCD.

Larry, how does LLA differ from 45 45 10? velocity performance difference?(dont mean to hijack).
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Harder is not always key. In that gun stick on ww should be fine. Try a better lube.

I don't know mabey the wheel weights have to many miles on them. And there all from left side tires.

Lol could not resist.

are you sizing your boolits?

Where in the barrel do you see the leading?

Banned

unique is on the slower end of the burn rate for the auto's.
    might could try a faster powder, or a bigger boolit, or try adding about 20% beeswax to the 45/45 lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I am sized .001" over in the .45. Don't know about the Maggie or 9mm grooves. Just sized .001" over nominal and shot them.
    Fitment is everything. I suspect you're just getting lucky with the .357 mag. Slug your barrels on the autoloaders and size .002" over groove. Both of those lubes you're tried are more than adequate for your applications, in fact they're both good enough for rifle velocity full power loads in my 30-30s.

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem. Pull some sample bullets and mic the size. Even using the most minimal taper crimp still seems to change the bullet size. So , mic the pulled bullets and let us know what you have.

Boolit Master

ONE OTHER POSSIBILITY
    Check your sizer die,,,you know that sizing plug that expands the inside of the case - Expander plug
    If your not expanding your cases enough, when your seat your bullets they get squeezed too much. It don't matter what you size your bullets to if your brass is too tight.
    Heavy squeeze is good for Jacketed,, NOT good for cast bullets
    1-2 K for cast
    4-5 K for jacket
    Most dies are sold for jacketed bullet reloading

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Might also make sure you're not swaging the boolits down during the crimping process, especially if you're using a FCD.

I am using the Lee FCD, BUT, I only use the carbide ring to make sure the case will chamber. I stop short of running the case all the way up to crimp.
    I will check the the expanding process. Randyrat might be right.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I am using the Lee FCD, BUT, I only use the carbide ring to make sure the case will chamber. I stop short of running the case all the way up to crimp.
    I will check the the expanding process. Randyrat might be right.
    If you feel some resistance, that could very well be your problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I measured the outsides of some loaded .45 ACP cases at lunch time. They measured .471" OD.
    I believe the case walls are .010" so that would mean the .471" OD minus .020" wall thickness equals boolit squashed down to .451" minimum.
    I'll pull a few tonight after work but it appears you guys were right. The carbide ring is sizing them down too much. Not 100% sure yet but it looks that way.
    I should have realized that since the FCD was probably intended for jacketed bullets.
    It looks like no more FCD for cast BOOLITS.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mpbarry1 View Post
    Larry, how does LLA differ from 45 45 10? velocity performance difference?(dont mean to hijack).
    One of the "45"s in 45 45 10 is LLA and the other "45" and the "10" are other "ingredients" that just water it down. I've been using LLA in numerous applications for as many years as it has been around. I use it at velocities from 300 fps upwards of 1900 fps. No I do not use it exclusively but augment my other lube methods with it. It works great on many moulds (Lee's "TL" bullets and standard cast bullet designs from all makers) but not so well on some cast bullet designs. I mostly use it on Lee TL bullets and on commercial hard cast handgun bullets. It performs well if used as intended and by the directions. The problems most have is from applying too much LLA and/or not allowing it to thoroughly dry. The application of 2 light coats is a lot better than try one heavy coat.

Larry Gibson

In Remembrance

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    One of the "45"s in 45 45 10 is LLA and the other "45" and the "10" are other "ingredients" that just water it down.

Larry Gibson
    The other ingredient is Johnson Paste Wax, which in and of itself has been used by one of our older members here, (Joe) Boer Rancher, quite successfully in velocities exceeding 2000 fps. The JPW contains carnauba wax among other things.

I disagree with the "watering it down" statement as many have found, not just in a modified tumble lube, but in many lube concoctions that one man's "watering down" is another's "enhancement."

Some folks have used just straight beeswax with a colored crayon in it as a lube. Would adding stearate or STP or vaseline be considered "watering it down?"

One of the most popular, effective and prolific cast bullet lubes on the market today is Glenn's Carnauba Red which uses carnauba wax as an enhancement to his base formula. Ben's Red is another. Jeff, over at Cast Bullets Association, developed a fully synthetic lube that has done outstanding as well.

*Shrug* I'm normally not in the habit of defending anything I do or try or come up with as it pertains to reloading or casting because I'm more concerned about the result. In this instance, however, I've had far more success by blending a few ingredients together to make tumble-lubing far easier, far less messy and far more efficient than I ever did using LLA straight.

As far as "tacky," I have a small glob of Lee Liquid Alox I squirted in the lid of a pill bottle container back in 2009. It sits over by my brass cleaning area in the shop, uncovered. Five years later, it is still tacky to the touch. I suspect in another five years, it will still be tacky.

Boolit Grand Master

Recluse

No need to get your dander up over the terminology. "Watering down" was just referenced to it being "cut", mixed or whatever. Point is the question was "how does LLA differ from 45 45 10?". The explanation was not one of criticism but one of explanation of the difference. To answer your question; when anything is added to something that something is diluted or "watered down". Whether the end result is good or bad is not relevant. Fact is the LLA is diluted or "watered down" when anything else is added to it.

Many use LLA straight as per the instructions with success and many don't because they fail to follow instructions on it's use and proper application of it. Many use 45-45-10 with success also and many don't because they fail to follow instructions on it's concoction, it's use and it's proper application, Just more to go wrong with 45-45-10 is all since when everyone makes their own there is no "standard" as such. If you haven't noticed there are more complaints about "leading" here with the use of 45-45-10 than with the use of LLA straight. Again, not criticizing the use of 45-45-10 at all. Just answering a question.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-17-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Banned

Unqualified opinions are quite entertaining to those that know better, but quite frustrating for those who don't.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    And even fewer complaints of leading from those who don't use LLA at all.

I have had great success with 45/45/10 and wouldn't use LLA any other way. It goes on thinner, dries faster, and works better.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Ah, we see the pundits are out in force. In case they failed to notice 45-45-10 did not work for the OP. Perhaps in their zeal to prove me wrong at anything they failed to notice that. Makes one wonder what else they failed to notice.

Guys, I do make mistakes but I admit them. Perhaps the two of you should take notice of that, learn from it and move on to more responsible discussions. Your posts, other than being derogatory comments, add nothing to this discussion. Nor do they offer any advice to the OP.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry larry
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast