Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Clean old Lube out of a Lubesizer?

Boolit Mold

How to Clean old Lube out of a Lubesizer?

Hi,
    Not sure if this is in the right area or not but...
    I was given a RCBS Lube O Matic several years back.
    It was sitting in a garage for 20 years or better with some type of lube in it.
    I tried to scrape out all the old lube and got the biggest part of it out but there is still some in there that I want to remove. Anyone have any tips on how to clean this out completely so I can start fresh?

Boolit Grand Master

Just did it not to long ago to switch over to Randy Rats Tac1. I took the plunger and sizer pieces out. Heated it up with a small propane torch and it dripped out. I wiped it down with a terry cloth towel and was GTG. Let it cool. Lubed the linkages and was GTG.

Boolit Master

Use a heat gun over some kind of container or bag.Be sure to wear a pair of good thick gloves. It will melt out of the reservoir and die if one is still in there.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a heat gun on mine. Use an old Tupperware container to catch the lube as it runs out.

Boolit Master
    Imagine that. Just had a discussion about this last night, thought I would check here, and everyone has pretty much the same idea. Wonders will never cease.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy

I cleaned out 2 this winter by placing on top of the wood stove. I had a metal vegetable can handy for 1 and flat pan for the other one.

Stand them up or hang over a catch pan and safely use what ever heat source you have available.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Use a heat gun over some kind of container or bag.Be sure to wear a pair of good thick gloves. It will melt out of the reservoir and die if one is still in there.
    Ditto. I just did a Lyman 45 sizer a few weeks ago . . . a heat gun worked great.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks !! I know what I'll be doing Saturday .
    I tried using the sizer with rcbs lube after I scraped it out and I guess it was clogged up because it kept pushing lube out of the bottom. I also couldn't get it to lube just one groove. I may have to replace the seals?/ orings not sure?

Did you mess with the adjuster under neith? You can lube just one groove, but it will have to be the bottom one.

I haven't ever messed with flushing mine. When I change lube i just run it all the way down as far as it will go and then full it up with my new lube and do a few junker bullets to clean out the last bit of the old lube. I then use said lubed junker bullets as flux next time I cast.

Boolit Mold
    Yes I tore it completely apart It's probably just out of adj. I need to get the book on it.
    One thing that bugged me was it kept puling a thick coat of lube on my gascheck. I know y'all are probably laughing , it's probably a easy fix. I got tired of messing with it, with the old lube in there and all it was kinda a hassle. So I just started using lee push thrus. But since I have it sitting there collecting dust I figured I would give it another shot.

The gas check is probably because you are giving the handle too much pressure.

If you decide to part with it I would be interested in it.

Boolit Master

Cleaning old lube out?

You should have yourself a big pot. Doesn't have to be pretty or anything, just deep enough to put the lubrisizer in and cover it with water.

do that. Put it on the stove and boil the **** out of it. Literally. A few minutes at a good boil and you should see the old lube rising to the top. Using tongs, rotate the sizer to different positions to get rid of lube trapped in nooks and crannies.

After while, you can turn the heat off, fish the sizer out of the pot, let the water cool and the old lube should for a cake, or at least some solid gobs, on the surface. Pick it off and save it or throw it away.

Wipe the pot down and stow it FAR away from the kitchen, lest you come home and find that it is filled with a somewhat odd-tasting soup.

That pot and boiling water are also good for cleaning the cosmoline off mil-surp rifle bolts and such.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    It is a little early in the year, but leaving it out in the hot Texas sun for an afternoon does wonders for getting old lube out. I had to put a glove on to handle my 450 last August.

I think the boiling was a great idea. I used a heat gun on my 450 after stripping it to just the cast body.

Boolit Grand Master

I do not recommend the boiling pot method. This is how I cleaned one out a few months back. Talk about a sticky mess. A heat gun is the easier, cleaner option. It's a good thing I had plans all along to fully strip and repaint mine.

If you have a really old pot that you do not need to use again, the boiling method is by far the easiest. I did that some time ago, just dumped the pot with the mess and had a shiny clean lube sizer.

Boolit Master

Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet with lots of paper towels underneath. Just set it to warm and leave it, everything will run out. Throw away the paper towels.

Boolit Buddy

I have used Both methods Got the heat gun out and got everything out I could Then boiled it and made sure it got the inner crannies super clean and in this two step manner the Pot does,nt get all that gooey either I called RCBS and had em send out the couple of parts I needed When I put it all back together the darn thing works better than it ever did
    TXWhitetailHunter I don,t know if ya have a lubematic 1 or 2 but FYI call RCBS and get all the Parts to rebuild it I don,t know if ya ever delt with them but won,t cost ya a dime to get the parts and you gan get a manual for it online from their site Good Luck and have fun
    DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I have done both but usually boil my sizer even if it is new. I bought a new Lyman several years ago, the reservoir had metal shavings in it.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddoggm View Post
    I don,t know if ya have a lubematic 1 or 2 but FYI call RCBS and get all the Parts to rebuild it I don,t know if ya ever delt with them but won,t cost ya a dime to get the parts
    That is not a guarantee. I had to pay for the parts to rebuild my latest LAM1. They gave me the parts for free to rebuild the first one. It's not that the parts were expensive. But don't be surprised if you have to pay for them.