Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 10

S&W model 10

I'd like to hear peoples' opinions on the S&W Model 10. Besides some of the J-frames, it's about the only Smith I can probably afford. The J frames just seem tiny. Does the mod 10 seem to be decently accurate despite the fixed sights?

Boolit Master
    The Mod. 10 was my first "good" gun, and I still have it. Unless its a factory clunker, (and I've never personally seen one), it will be way past "decently accurate" with a load it likes. Mine is a 1" gun at 25 yards, and I have made enough longer range shots with it to know it's not limited to short range. The K-frame Smiths are a very nice package, and quite durable. Mine came to me used, and I put 35,000 rounds throught mine in one year. I eventually had to replace the mainspring due to DA misfires, but thats it. It is still tight and accurate. You can load them pretty warm too, without longevity concerns.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Here's another mod.10 Fan.-- down to just one right now, a 5 incher that may be with me when I cross the river . Have some other K-framed revolvers, but only the best of them is appreciably more accurate that this one. Just find a load that shoots to the sight with your hold, or file in the sights to what you need... Good luck and enjoy.... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    I've owned 2 new ones in years past, one a three inch heavy barrel, the other a pencil barrel. Very good guns. I just looked at some heavily shot ones this weekend in the $275 to $325 range. I suspect they were fed some hot loads for a while as the barrel cylinder gaps were wide (0.008 the tightest to 0.012" the worst IIRC). However, if you get a loose one, call S & W and send it to them. They can set the barrel back and recut the forcing cone. They did my Mod 60 for me for less than $100 and installed a new hand. But it cost me $50 to send it to them, they paid postage on the way back to me.

I think the price is low on the Mod 10s b/c most folks only want .357. But the old .38 spl is still as fine a cartridge as it ever was and can serve you well.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    The Model 10 is one of the best "bread n butter" guns ever. Simple, accurate,dependable, nostalgic--what's not to like?
    lathesmith

On Heaven's Range

If you're really set on your .38 being a Smith and Wesson, then I STRONGLY suggest the used market.

Very, very few handguns ever see the amount of shooting that we nut-cases here inflict on them, and if a used S&W LOOKS good, it's a very good chance that it IS good.

In addition, I for one believe that the current-production guns are of lesser quality than many of those made 20 or 30 years ago.

For MY purposes, I frankly detest fixed sights on handguns. That's mostly because of the wild variety of ammunition types that my guns see. In .38, it can run from 120-grain "9mm" bullets to over-200-grainers in some loads, and velocities also vary a lot from load to load.

Your $500 can buy a LOT of quality on the used market. In the last couple of weeks, I've handled two Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" .357s, both in virtually like-new condition, and both owners asking for a good bit UNDER $500. These are heavy N-frame revolvers, and one of the very finest-available .357 guns. I already have three N-frame .357s, so I really didn't need another....but dammit, I was TEMPTED!

The wonderful K-38 and its little brother, the .38 Combat Masterpiece, both have good adjustable sights and often sell for well under $500 as well. In addition, both of these have .22 versions which are IDENTICAL.

I applaud your selection of the S&W brand. They made millions of great guns over many decades, and most are still around. A great website for S&Ws is

www.smith-wessonforum.com

and make sure you check out the "Classified" section down at the bottom of the Main Page. Checking a few weeks' worth of postings there will give you an excellent idea of values, demand, and user attitudes.

Also, it's a very friendly place to visit and ask questions...just like here. I'll suggest that you don't rush into this. Take enought time to study the whole thing.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMark View Post
    I'd like to hear peoples' opinions on the S&W Model 10. Besides some of the J-frames, it's about the only Smith I can probably afford. The J frames just seem tiny. Does the mod 10 seem to be decently accurate despite the fixed sights?

I wouldn't reject a J Frame out of hand. If what your looking for a a CCW than J cud be a way to go, but if your looking for a carry gun while hunting, camping etc, thyen there are several Smith's available. I have to agree with this other feller that the older Smiths are better quality then the new ones. Gunbroker.com or auction arms.com have some smith at a really good price. I just bought a I frame 38 S&W for 175. The I frame was the for runner of the J frame and with hand loads this one will do what most 38's will do.

Luck to you.
    Calaveras Slim

U.S. Army, retired

'nuff sed

The Smith and Wesson Military & Police/Model 10 is the service revolver against which all others have been judged for almost 100 years. I have had a score or more of them over the years and they all are more accurate than I am.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

For MY purposes, I frankly detest fixed sights on handguns. That's mostly because of the wild variety of ammunition types that my guns see. In .38, it can run from 120-grain "9mm" bullets to over-200-grainers in some loads, and velocities also vary a lot from load to load.
    Bruce, could detestation of fixed handgun sights have anything to do with being lefthanded? A lightbulb (original incandescent, naturally) went off in my head when I finally realized that ALL fixed sight handguns shoot to the right for me. Coupling this with observing that most of my adjustable sight handguns are cranked noticeably to the left, it finally dawned on me that fixed handgun sights are not my cup of tea. It only took about forty years to arrive at this epiphany!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Super Moderator

.................BruceB is right about checking the used market. I paid $350 for my M67 with Pachmeyers and the guy threw in a like new Lawrence holster with it.

Guess I could have cleaned it before taking it's picture

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Smith and Wesson- Finest revolver in the World!

I don't suppose I should totally avoid a J frame. I really like the exposed hammer chief's special, but it's just so small and light. Do you guys (or ladies) out there find that the J-frame is uncomfortable or hard to shoot accurately?

Boolit Master
    I don't suppose I should totally avoid a J frame. I really like the exposed hammer chief's special, but it's just so small and light. Do you guys (or ladies) out there find that the J-frame is uncomfortable or hard to shoot accurately?
    It sure is, especially with the stock small wood grips. The Uncle Mikes "boot grips" add nothing to the size, but fill in behind the trigger and make them much more comfortable. Yes they are alot harder to shoot than a 4" or even 3" revolver. They can and do shoot well, the one I have carried for the last 15 years or so will stay in 2" or less at 25 yards with wadcutters, but boy is it hard to do! You will shoot a J-frame loose much quicker than a K-frame also.

Boolit Master

J-frames hard to shoot?? Depends...

Mine fits my hand very well with factory grips. Recoil is present with top end loads, but not at all punishing. However, a co-worker can hardly manage to fire, much less hit well with a J-frame b/c his hands are very thick, but fairly short fingered.

I used to carry my Mod 60 and shot about 400 to 500 rounds per month through it. I never had any fatigue or battered hands, just lots of holes where X's used to be.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Have you considered a model 15?
    Kurt H.
    I'm out of my mind, be back in a minute...

Boolit Buddy
    Try a S&W model 12 "snubbie"....perfection in my opinion.

In Remebrance

Not knowing is self defense is what you're looking for, I'll offer this- S+W used to make, maybe they still do, 3-6" J-frames in 38 Spec with adjustable sights. Much easier to shoot than the true snubbies. I handled a 4 incher once and should have grabbed it then. Sweet! I wish I could stumble onto another with cash on hand.

As for fixed sights, many of the later Model 10's had a wide rear notch and fairly thick front sight. The rear sight was square faced, not the polished curved surface of the older models. They were much easier to use as real sights.

Boolit Master

I agree with GSPKurt on the Model 15. In the recent past I picked up a 15-3 new in box for about half of your stated budget. I admit I was lucky to get that good of price, but as also stated many people will pass up the 38 special only in hopes of finding the 357. The 15-3 has a 4 inch barrel and shoots very well. I did change out the Magna grips to a set of hougue, but would have been very happy if it had had factory target style stocks. For everyday carry the Magna grips may suit your needs, just not mine.

A model 10-8. I paid $280 a year ago, in like-new condition. I strongly feel that now's the time to purchase clean, older S&W revolvers because they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Model 10, the benchmark as far as I'm concerned. Beautiful revolver with proven ample killing power with quality ammunition. I carried one off and on at work over 22.5 years. With a set of Pachmyrs, you can't go wrong. I am on the lookout for one for The NSW Police games, they have a service match.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast