Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Card Wads & HB

Card Wads & HB

Can I use a card wad with my Lee 459-405HB? Or should I leave it out with my BP load?
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

I used to to shoot my Springfield 1884 rifle a lot with a very similar bullet from a mold made by NEI. Mostly didn't fool with a wad and it shot 8" 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Taylored my loads using Wolfe's book on recreating original loads. In a search for a better load I ended up using neck sized brass, Goex CTG. powder compressed 1/16 after drop tubing, 215 primer, the 405 HB bullet and an Ox yoke wonder wad under the bullet. I punched the middle out of the wonder wad with a 1 hole paper punch on the theory it was going to get blown up into the cavity if I didn't. I seated the bullet and crimped same as Wolf outlined. These loads would shoot 8 or 9 out of 10 into 4" or 5" at 200 but a flier or 2 would open almost every group back to close the 8" I got with service loads. A lot of things can cause fliers, I've always wondered if it was those wads in the base. I think the old 55 gr. carbine loads had wads and that was changed because of messing up accuracy. So I probably didn't answer your question but you have made me think I should dig that old bundook out and shoot it again, it's been gathering dust close to 20 years now.
    kootne

It didn't answer my question fully but it did provide me with information. Whether its what I should do, don't do or maybe try this its all valuable information. Thank you very much.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

I don't use wads with those boolits. Same deal, I don't want them jammed into the base cavities. They shoot quite well without wads. If you are really curious just load up some both ways and see which works better.

-Nobade