Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: powder coating that resembles a jacket bullet in color

Stilly: Two reasons for me. The novelty of colors wore off within the first couple of months of pc'ing. I prefer not to stand out of the crowd when I go shooting.
    Last edited by MacFan; 04-14-2015 at 08:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    hi tek brown copper doesnt stand out too much, from a few feet nobody notices. I like that.

I saw a harbor freight recipe on this thread but none of the pics showing the recipe popped up. Anyone have a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by 11B-101ABN View Post
    Hanleyfan listen-up: C.Latch nailed it back in April in post #6. Harbor freight red, yello, white, and black. 3 parts red, 3 parts yello, 2 parts white, 1/2 part black. mix-n-spray. That will get you in the ballpark. Play with the recipe, I've gotten about 7 different shades of copper looking boolitts. All four jars of the HF paint will cost less than one of the high dollar stuff. catch it on sale for $3.99 each.
    Are there any recent pics of this recipe anywhere?

Boolit Master
    Well if this thread has been resurrected I suppose someone who has it ought to put Smoke4320's copper options up.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFan View Post
    Stilly: Two reasons for me. The novelty of colors wore off within the first couple of months of pc'ing. I prefer not to stand out of the crowd when I go shooting.

Makes sense I guess. I am curious now as to why you would not want to stand out of the crowd. I mean, hey look what we can do... What am I missing here?

I mean heck, I am trying to figure out how I am gonna make a red white and blue design and I am imagining white or black hollow points with flames on the rim and stuff... Just trying to figure out how I am gonna be able to paint that on. Although now I want to join the hunt for the realistic copper look...

If I stand out of the crowd I hope it's because of my shooting skills... that I work constantly on. Though I would love to see some red, white and blue bullets!
    Last edited by MacFan; 04-15-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post

I mean heck, I am trying to figure out how I am gonna make a red white and blue design and I am imagining white or black hollow points with flames on the rim and stuff... Just trying to figure out how I am gonna be able to paint that on. .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flameboolits.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	137371Like this, maybe? I tumbled with Mirror Black from PBTP. Stood up to bake, then put a pinch of yellow between gloved hands, rubbed hands together and sprinkled over the boolits, then repeated with a smaller amount of red and baked.
    "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. "

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post

ID:	137371Like this, maybe? I tumbled with Mirror Black from PBTP. Stood up to bake, then put a pinch of yellow between gloved hands, rubbed hands together and sprinkled over the boolits, then repeated with a smaller amount of red and baked.
    Okay, I've gotta admit those are pretty cool. Nice work.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletorsarmory View Post
    Are there any recent pics of this recipe anywhere?
    Harbor freight red on the left, yellow on the right, with the recipe as posted in the middle with some copper plated in between for comparison. All ASBBDT, which I'm not having great luck with so far, probably need to try some higher quality powders. Up close pic shows that it's a little grittier finish, maybe because of the black content, but makes it look closer to the yellow. Farther out pic shows the color better. All in all, kind of a peachy orange, and not nearly as good as some of the dedicated metallic colors others have posted.

I'm finding the transparent colors look the best over lead.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeguy View Post

Yeah. Kinda like my lineup with sprinkling pc on as an accent...

Those look nice.

My range last night said they did not like PC. So, consider my hat in this race now...

Those look nice.

My range last night said they did not like PC. So, consider my hat in this race now...
    Sorry to hear about your range, they obviously don't get it. I'm amazed at the lack of consistency and understanding going from range to range.

Boolit Buddy

Those look nice.

Stilly, did they have a specific complaint about PC?

Some ranges don't want lead or other coating types because they want to sell FMJs to you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose33 View Post
    Stilly, did they have a specific complaint about PC?

Some ranges don't want lead or other coating types because they want to sell FMJs to you.
    Probably so...I know some indoor ranges don't like "exposed lead", but that argument goes out the door considering what's in primers, what happens to the boolit downrange, etcetera. I've seen a few ranges which insisted on users buying and shooting range ammo exclusively, and they all went out of business. As for me, I just don't advertise and if someone asks I just let on that it's "a polymer coating which acts like a jacket" or something similar.
    "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. "

Boolit Buddy
    I've been doing a lot of PC experimenting; this thread piqued my interest and when I ordered some powder from Smoke, I bought a pound of the SD Copper.

Here's how it looks in comparison to a few FMJ bullets I have. There are two things that make the SD Copper not quite a perfect match with FMJ. One is that it's not quite as shiny; the other is it's nearly perfect in consistency of color, which almost no FMJ can boast.

I think most people if they just glanced at it, wouldn't see anything other than what their eye expected to see.

The middle and far right boolits are the SD Copper; the others are FMJ.

Name:	fmjpowdercoat.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	138540

Boolit Mold
    Ok, so know I'm totally digging up a zombie thread, but just wondering/hoping maybe in the last two years, there has been someone who might have discovered a powder coat brand/color that duplicates a copper jacket, especially one that might tumble coat (know that's probably a long shot for a metallic to tumble coat well)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Any updates with any of these colors? Hoping that someone tried some of this and found SUCCESS!

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I went to Prismatic Powders in White City, Oregon today, and checked out their shop. Very cool! They have lots of swatches of colors they do (they list 6500) which are free for the collecting. If you go online or call, they will send you swatches for free, but probably charge some mailing/postage. anyway, I grabbed 8 in various copper colors and threw them on the scanner, as seen below. The scanner doesn't show as well as handling them in natural light. I'm thinking the Flash Rust is my next purchase at $11.08/lb for the first 50 lbs, then $9.03/lb for up to 200 lbs. I really can't see buying over 200 lbs just to get to $8.08/lb.

I have purchased Fools Penny (very light copper tint), Copper Shimmer (very brown), Copper Plate (its gold), Tacate Green (neon lime), Sparkle Pink (very pink), and Ink Black (looks very wet and BLACK!) I've been able to get a copper I like (as seen in a previous post), and even that picture shows it darker than it really is. I will make a bunch of my own copper mix because I have it but will likely order the Flash Rust when I need to get another color. I've had a request for purple so I may make an order soon. When I do, I will post some boolits!

Attachment 122114

Boolit Mold
    That last one from 2015 looks pretty good. If I could get it to look like that I might just stop searching, but I couldn't make out where to buy it.

Some of those previous posts looked pretty good too. That Penny Gold one sure did, but I was concerned with the comments about how it "goes on thin." I was wondering if it would help to mix it with clear PC as that might help thicken it and give it more of a shimmer.

In any case, if anyone's cracked this, I'd sure like to hear about it.

The last post from 2015 referenced a Vendor Sponsor of this site - follow this link...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul