WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: powder coating that resembles a jacket bullet in color

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the update, I now have some ideas. My wife will be in White City in mid Dec to visit relatives so I will have her go by and check them out. She is an avid pistol shooter also and a member of the local Well Armed Women chapter.

That's great information!

Boolit Buddy
    I could not get the fools penny to coat even. Will post a pic when i get a chance.
    Dan

Boolit Master

The only drawback of going in to Prismatic Powders is you have to order 2 days before you can pick up. I generally know when I'm heading inland so that is not a biggy. I have not actually sprayed the Fools Penny but have ASBBDT tumbled with it. The color wasn't even but the coating was sprayed on smooth. I recently tumble coated several hundred Lee TL 309-230 5 R just for quick assembly of some subsonic 300 blk plinkers. They shoot great even if they aren't pretty. The Fools Penny has been my base for mixing in an attempt to get a copper color. I'm set for powder for a while, I have 2 lbs of Fools Penny, a pound of Copper Plate, and a pound of Shimmer Copper, which will make a lot of my copper mix. Plus I have a pound each of the pink, green, and black. Yup, I'm set . . . After I buy some purple
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    For got to add I also tried a under coat of chrome. They came out looking like silver boolits.
    I got good coverage from the fools penny but very little copper color. Looked like a clear coat with a little copper on the top of the lube groves.
    Last edited by TreeKiller; 11-20-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add

Re: powder coat
    Originally Posted by BT8850 - 05-02-2014 06:19 AM
    A couple of us were wondering what brand and color powder you used on the boolits from post #39 on the boolits photo album thread. They are 9mm and look very close to the FMJ that you were comparing it too. They look awesome and I'm very curious what powder you used!!

Thanks

Brad

--------------------------------

Sorry for the delayed response. Work work work.
    Starbrite Orange Copper is the color. You can buy it from link below.
    https://www.powderbuythepound.com/ST...ORANGE_COPPER/

This is a little delayed and I dont mean to interrupt discussion, just want to confirm for those that may still be wondering, Sneakybuffalo is correct, this is a reply to a PM to evil5826 back in May when I asked him about his copper color, Starbrite Orange Copper it is!

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for the delayed response. Work work work.
    Starbrite Orange Copper is the color. You can buy it from link below.
    https://www.powderbuythepound.com/ST...ORANGE_COPPER/
    This is not the color that the bullet shows in the picture, I bought a pound of the starbrite orange copper and it is not even close to that bullet that shown beside a jacketed bullet.

Any updates on finding the perfect copper? The Starbrite Orange Copper looks really orange in the link provided. I'd like to make some of my cast boolits look like the ones from Berry's and Ranier.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    Any updates on finding the perfect copper? The Starbrite Orange Copper looks really orange in the link provided. I'd like to make some of my cast boolits look like the ones from Berry's and Ranier.
    On a trip to Oregon last December to visit kids and gkids my wife stopped by Prismatic. I had her take a Berrys plated boolit with her for them to match colors. They sold her PMB 2556 Sexy Copper and she bought 10 other (non copper) colors. She shoots a lot and got into a lot of different colors. I haven't coated any boolits yet but the powder looks like copper.

Have a pound of Copper Metallic SD that I just got from All Powder Paint. Going to give it a try this weekend. I'm kind of old school and want my boolits to look like boolits. Here's what it looks like...at least on line. I'll post some pictures after I try it out.

Attachment 127426

Boolit Buddy
    The hammertone powder works fine for me. I got a pound or so for free from a friend who was throwing out a bunch of old powder. I wet tumble anyway, so all my stuff comes out looking mottled. The thin spots (even some bare lead spots after sizing) never seem to cause any leading.

Boolit Buddy
    I have noticed that a lot of the copper and gold colors don't tumble with good results, they will cover but the color is uneven, they will shoot okay but not look good.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	127704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	127705

This is my best attempt at a copper color, it is Sexy Copper from Prismatic. It didn't cover 100% because the color seperated in some places from the clear component when I baked them.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    Have a pound of Copper Metallic SD that I just got from All Powder Paint. Going to give it a try this weekend. I'm kind of old school and want my boolits to look like boolits. Here's what it looks like...at least on line. I'll post some pictures after I try it out.

Attachment 127426
    Any pics yet?

Boolit Master
    sexy copper looks more like orange-brown to me... oops.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    sexy copper looks more like orange-brown to me... oops.
    My phone picture doesn't do the color justice, go to their website to get a truer picture color.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	goldboolits.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	135217This is Transparent Gold from Prismatic...Really tough to capture it on camera, it's got a really high gloss to it and looks like a dullish gold finish underneath. It's a topcoat color so designed to have a base coat of chrome, or really shiny boolits, but to the casual observer it'll pass for jacketed...and I personally have no need to do a dual coat. They have a transparent copper which would produce similar results.
    "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. "

This is as close as I get. Prismatic 2 parts Orange Tangelo 1 part Psycho Yellow mixed and shot from a HF gun. Looks pretty good in person but could use a slight touch of red.

Name:	Copper.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	135241

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    well maybe some of us don't like our boolits looking like lip stick instead of real ammo.
    Bronze looks just like a copper washed jacketed bullet

OR

If your goal is to look all nondescript may I suggest silver

Yes those bullets are powdercoated

This reminds me of the vegetarians making veggie burgers. Why do they make veggie burgers if they are proud to be vegetarians?

I am proud to be a powder-coater and not certain that I would want to make mine look like jacketed rounds, UNLESS it is to make some reloads to sneak into bass pro shop at their shooting range. After messing around, I prefer contrasting colors or I like to see if I can make mine look like marble or granite. Of course, I do have some cool designs that I am working on, red tipped black gold etc...

Name:	pills.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	136848

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast