Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: powder coating that resembles a jacket bullet in color

Get some clear coat it goes on white the goes clear when you cook it

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    This is "Penny Gold". Taking into charitable consideration that this is my first time with this mould and my first try at PC, I think that the color is a near-OK at best.

It is billed as a transparent color. Needs more gold.
    Those look Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Yea I knew it was a super thin layer. Factory FMJ are actually swaged. I was just mentioning it for if he wanted exact color.
    Do you consider the pc coatings to be super thin? It's all about achieving the desired result. you could plate them as thick as you want if you have undersized molds.

I am hoping my new thread about copper washing boolits catches on if the experiments go well.
    I've been told i am "reinventing the wheel", imaging when the coating craze started someone said "why reinvent the wheel, when traditional lubes work so well"
    My guess would be there was plenty of nay sayers then too.

*edit* i re-read this and it seems like i am being defensive..i 'm not. The biggest thing i read about my plating is that is is thin.
    I just don't see how thin is a bad thing. No worries
    Last edited by MGnoob; 10-09-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Using navy blue polyurethane 400* PC from powder by the pound, I found that I could acheive a very uniform ~0.00025 layer.

I learned this by pre-sizing a batch of bare .312" bullets to .309, measuring all of them at 0.309" dead (using digital calipers, not a mic). Then dry tumbling in pc until I got uniform static adhesion of the powder. Bake at 400*F for 11-15 minutes. All measured ~20 IIRC were reading 0.3095" by my calipers. I understand about the limitations of the measuring device, so please don't harp on that. The point that you can take away is that it is possible to easily get very uniform thickness of PC within a batch. From batch to batch, tumbling until uniformly coated creates the max consistent thickness of a single coating.

The desire should be to have the most uniform coating over the surface of the bullet, and from one bullet to another. Not the thickest coating. So long as it stays between the powder and the lead, and between the barrel and the lead the PC is thick enough. I actually suspect a thinner layer is better able to be pushed in by the lands than a very thick layer. It should bend with the lead rather than flake. Bullets I have dug out of the dirt showed clean engraving, but no lead exposed in the grooves. I think attempts to build up thickness with numerous coatings or globby PC are more prone to cause irregular distribution of weight, etc. Than simply beagling the mold and coating with one uniform coat.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

Boolit Man
    Hanleyfan listen-up: C.Latch nailed it back in April in post #6. Harbor freight red, yello, white, and black. 3 parts red, 3 parts yello, 2 parts white, 1/2 part black. mix-n-spray. That will get you in the ballpark. Play with the recipe, I've gotten about 7 different shades of copper looking boolitts. All four jars of the HF paint will cost less than one of the high dollar stuff. catch it on sale for $3.99 each.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B-101ABN View Post
    Hanleyfan listen-up: C.Latch nailed it back in April in post #6. Harbor freight red, yello, white, and black. 3 parts red, 3 parts yello, 2 parts white, 1/2 part black. mix-n-spray. That will get you in the ballpark. Play with the recipe, I've gotten about 7 different shades of copper looking boolitts. All four jars of the HF paint will cost less than one of the high dollar stuff. catch it on sale for $3.99 each.
    pics?

evil5826 got it with an off-the-shelf item, just what I was looking for, but hasn't replied to my PMs.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by evil5826 View Post
    Update using same powder but coated it twice. Then I used also some HF black powder.
    Attachment 103989
    Quote Originally Posted by evil5826 View Post
    Starbrite Orange Copper is the color. You can buy it from link below.
    https://www.powderbuythepound.com/ST...ORANGE_COPPER/

Seems to be it

if anyone finds the "golden" ticket for this, upload a pic and share. I think it would be cool for no intended reason

Not mine.

evil5826 discovered this one.

Boolit Master
    Hey that looks really good. I'd very much like to hear how that happened. Did he have to do a base coat? What powder was it?

Wish I knew.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Hey that looks really good. I'd very much like to hear how that happened. Did he have to do a base coat? What powder was it?
    Looks like the same stuff he said he used when I quoted him in my post above

Boolit Master
    Hm... that's expensive stuff. I wonder if it dry tumbles at all?

Apologies!

I missed it.

Forum overload, I suppose.

Boolit Master

I sprayed some more copper today (4 parts fools penny, 2 parts copper plate, 1 part shimmer copper) and they again came out great. I think I still need to lower the amount of copper shimmer. Sprayed on it looks flesh toned, and kind of bakes out like a slightly dark copper boolit.

On my next days off (M/T) I will ride the Harley over to Prismatic Powders in White City, Oregon, and look at the wall of swatches. I haven't been there yet but a buddy says they have their display of 6500 colors on a hallway wall. Once I find the right color as baked I will order some and share their color name and part number. I really like the way their powder performs, I just think I'm getting too carried away with the colors. Last year, every thing was HF Flat Black, and that was fine. Now I'm hooked on colors. It's a sickness
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Me like!

That's good work and thanks for sharing it.

Nice!, is that 130 gr?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Buddy
    Fcvan, Please let me know how your trip and powder mixes work. My stepson lives just down the road in Medford and I can send him "shopping" when you get a formula.

Boolit Master

StromBusa, that's the Lee TL309-230 5R loaded for the 300 blk. ipijohn, my trip to White City has been preempted by an emergency siding job at my daughter's house. She had a small stretch (6' wide) section that is south facing lose a board or two. Her place is 2 blocks of the beach and the weather really pounds from the south in winter. Gotta love the north coast of California during the winter. It rains sideways and the rain is measured in feet not inches!

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

I went to Prismatic Powders in White City, Oregon today, and checked out their shop. Very cool! They have lots of swatches of colors they do (they list 6500) which are free for the collecting. If you go online or call, they will send you swatches for free, but probably charge some mailing/postage. anyway, I grabbed 8 in various copper colors and threw them on the scanner, as seen below. The scanner doesn't show as well as handling them in natural light. I'm thinking the Flash Rust is my next purchase at $11.08/lb for the first 50 lbs, then $9.03/lb for up to 200 lbs. I really can't see buying over 200 lbs just to get to $8.08/lb.

I have purchased Fools Penny (very light copper tint), Copper Shimmer (very brown), Copper Plate (its gold), Tacate Green (neon lime), Sparkle Pink (very pink), and Ink Black (looks very wet and BLACK!) I've been able to get a copper I like (as seen in a previous post), and even that picture shows it darker than it really is. I will make a bunch of my own copper mix because I have it but will likely order the Flash Rust when I need to get another color. I've had a request for purple so I may make an order soon. When I do, I will post some boolits!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swatches.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	122114

Is taught at the Range!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast