Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: powder coating that resembles a jacket bullet in color

Boolit Buddy

powder coating that resembles a jacket bullet in color

I can not afford to test different brands and colors so anyone out there discover a powder coating that is close in color to a jacket bullet?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have looked for Cu colored powder and have found none that are not some kind of hammered texture....which you will NOT want to use.

Mabe someone else has found some. There MANY sources of powder on-line.

I use Cu gilding powder to coat a few boolits occasionally to look like copper. Other than a beauty contest, it is probably a waste of time & money to do Cu colored PC slugs. Red and black shoot just fine.

Let us know if you find some Cu powder that works.

banger

Why on earth would we want to do a thing like that?

Boolit Buddy
    well maybe some of us don't like our boolits looking like lip stick instead of real ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    well maybe some of us don't like our boolits looking like lip stick instead of real ammo.
    "Real ammo" has silver colored boolits
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Some of mine coated with a mix of HF red and HF yellow with just a dab of HF black, have ended up looking pretty copper-y.

I, too, dislike plain red. So far the yellow/black/red mixture, in its various shades, has suited me pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    "Real ammo" has silver colored boolits
    Exactly.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Exactly.
    Last time I looked at my big "stash of toy food", the loaded carts can be either sliver-ish or copper! Not every boolit/cart is raw lead. I have MANY FMJ's for rifle and hi-velocity shooting.

You can use the clear PC to just coat the lead to get the leading protection and leave the real color of lead showing thru. Coating with a nice PURE copper powder would (kind of) look like FMJ's, even though I have never seen a powder coating (or paint) that looks like REAL metal.

banger

Boolit Master

I like the grey ones.

I don/t want red or blue either. ESPECIALLY not pink.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Bub
    I have had great success with Powder by the pound RAL 6001 Emerald Green . Used the tumble method in a plastic container with 2 coats to get good coverage. Baking at 400 degrees for 12 min in a preheated toaster oven darkened the color to nice darker green. However, like the original poster to this thread I would really like to find a color that would yield a copper jacket look that would also work with the tumble method.

I found the below powder which looks promising. At $15 for half a pound it is far more expensive than other powders but can get 2 pounds for $33 which would be more in line with other powders. Would like to hear from anyone else that has used this powder for the tumble method and how you felt about the results. Or if you have found other powders that give the look of a copper jacket.
    http://www.eastwood.com/review/produ.../category/171/

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/UMB-336/

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PMB-1315/

Boolit Master

I can't imagine you can't find what you are looking for at Powders Buy the Pound. They must have a thousand different colors.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/Coppers-c-356/

My main reason to have a coating that resemble the jacketed bullets is to shoot indoor match that does not allow shootin lead
    so in a match nobody will notice and care.....

If they are a lead free range you can get in fair trouble for that.

If they just don't want exposed load, why not swage?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    I can't imagine you can't find what you are looking for at Powders Buy the Pound. They must have a thousand different colors.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/Coppers-c-356/

Mabe......but their prices are thru the roof!!!!! Can't justify those ridiculous prices for something I just send down the range.

Whatever floats your boat.

banger

Boolit Bub
    Good point lol. I'd like to see a "clear" coating...something that lets you see the actual color of the lead-NOT all the colors of the rainbow.

If you want lead color. Use a good lube. If you want pretty. Use spray paint. Krylon works best from what I've seen. Spray, bake for 20 mins at 400 degrees, shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedp View Post
    Good point lol. I'd like to see a "clear" coating...something that lets you see the actual color of the lead-NOT all the colors of the rainbow.
    There are several on here that do use the CLEAR PC so they can see the lead.

I prefer colors but supposedly it works. And clear eliminates all the un-founded worry about abrasive coating that some fuss about.

banger

Boolit Bub
    There must be some on here who have tried a powder coat that resembles a copper jacket in appearance! Yes the cost of the powder would likely be more than the cheap harbor freight red but even if it cost $15 per pound it would cover thousands of bullets and to me personally I would have no issue spending an extra $10 for the look that I would like. I would just like to hear from those who have had success and if so exactly which powder you used, did you spray or dry tumble and if at all possible maybe a pic or two. If I don't hear from anyone I may have to take up the torch myself and order some that look promising. The below look like they come close to resembling a metal jacket. Anyone tried the below powder coats? Any other recommendations?

http://www.eastwood.com/review/produ.../category/171/

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/H-4137B/

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/UMB-336/

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PMB-1315/

Boolit Master

Part of why I chose gold Hi-Tek is that it might kinda sorta resemble a jacket. No real reasoning for this, it just sounded like a cool idea.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    I can not afford to test different brands and colors so anyone out there discover a powder coating that is close in color to a jacket bullet?
    If you really want copper-like finish, try using VHT high-temp COPPER epoxy paint sprayed and baked OVER your standard FINISHED matte black. You need to use the black (ESPC ONLY!) to give the spray-on paint a tooth to hold on to.

Follow the lower temp baking instructions on the can and they look very good. So far I have not had any problems with it coming off on 45LC's.

VHT paints can be found at most local auto supply store. It is rather expensive. The copper-look paint is an epoxy and is made for hi-temp engine coatings.

Have fun!

banger

edit......was pointed out to me that VHT stuff is not epoxy. I could not remember because I use the whole darn can (!!!!!!) and threw it away. Anyway it must be a high temp enamel that recommends on the can a bake to cure/harden it. It does coat well. And is costly.
    Last edited by bangerjim; 04-18-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast