WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need scope suggestions for 45-70

Boolit Grand Master
    Vx3 1.75 to 6 is what is on mine. Works like a charm.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    I've had a Leupold Compact Ultralight on my Marlin 1895 .45-70 since 1982-84?? No problems, a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 did break from recoil of a light .300 Win Mag.
    The 2.5 might be the lightest available. If you don't like available reticles you can send it to Leupold custom shop for something different. There is also a 3x x 20 Leupold fixed available from swfa.com. The light fixed power scopes seem to be the most durable. I have had good luck with both Leupold and Nikon. My standard .45-70 load has been a 300 grain bullet over 58 gr AA2015 for 2250fps so recoil is unpleasant and tough on scopes. I tried an older Burris and an El Paso Weaver on this rifle, but neither scope held together. I have not tried Nightforce, much to heavy and very expensive, but they probably would hold up. I have had good luck with Nikon Monarch's but haven't really used them on anything heavier than a light .308. Yeah, stay away from the 'scout' scopes.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 45-70 thats scoped anylonger but I have several 444's with scopes . And a couple of them shoot rather stout loads .

In the past I had used mainly nice old Weaver and Redfield scopes and by that I mean ones made from the 50's into the 70's .

But ........................ over the least two years I've wrecked or demolished a Weaver V4.5 , a pair of Weaver V7's and a pair of Redfield Traditional 3-9's .

So now I have a rather new Weaver K3 (circa 1980) on my short 444 , a new Redfield Revolution 3-9 on my 2001 444 ballard rifle and I just put a nice Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10x40AO on my 1967 refinished rifle . These three seem to be the ones I shoot the most .

As soon as I kill a deer with my Ruger #1H 416 RemMag I plan on taking the Leupold Vari XII 1-4 off the 416 and put it on my short 444 in place of the K3 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I use the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on my #1 .45/70 and .405 win. I also have them on a 444 and .45/70 Marlin. I have had no problems with them. I have the heavy duplex on two of the scopes because I hunt with them in heavy brush . I can see those reticles all the way till dark.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I use the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on my #1 .45/70 and .405 win. I also have them on a 444 and .45/70 Marlin. I have had no problems with them. I have the heavy duplex on two of the scopes because I hunt with them in heavy brush . I can see those reticles all the way till dark.
    I had an old old Leupold Vari XIII 1.5-5 that was made before they had click adjustments . Anyway that one stayed on top another 416 Rem Mag bolt gun I had and now it resides on my buddies 505 Gibbs .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Leupold VX1 2x7x33 on their mount. Centering scope internally then using big externals to center POI, fine tune with scope. 2x walking, 7x in stand, I have them on all my boomers and they have held up fine. I am pretty sure I have helped some Leupold kids go to college over the years.

Boolit Master
    Trijicon 30mm with a green post....

Boolit Master
    The one scope that I have always kicked myself for letting go was a Weaver K4 with the DUPLEX cross hair.Used it on every thing from a 30-06 to a 788 Rem in 223 cal.Even a couple of .22 rimfires.Was a great all around scope.This was one of the older Weavers from back in the early 60`s.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    ........................................... and with eye relief shorter than a scout scope but a bit longer than a leupold. Ideally the scope would have a 1" tube and a 1" ocular lens housing so as to get it as low as possible.................
    Burris made the 1-4x Intermediate Eye Relief Scope back in the late 90's - early 2000's. I bought 2 of them and they are great for the hard kickers. I have them mounted on an H&R .450 Marlin single shot and a .416 Russian Express custom. If you can find one of these (gun shows, ebay, etc) you could mount it using the XS Systems rail and simply attach the scope further back toward your eye until you find the sweet spot for eye relief/head position. Great scopes that stand up to recoil. If they were still made I would buy at least two more.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Man
    For hard kicking big bores I have gotten good service from the Weaver 1-3x20, I have used one for years on a .458 Win. Mag. and it takes the beating a lot better than I do-LOL I have another on a Marlin 1895 45-70 with the same results. I can't say anything against the other suggestions either, there are so many good ones to choose from.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    O.K., I've got $0.02 to spare.
    Beauty!!! Looks!!! Ugly!!!

Youve got to be kidding!!
    All this balogna from a bunch of HUNTERS????

I wouldn't advise anyone on which scope to buy. Youve all mentioned some darned good ones, great ones, but have completly missed the most valuable aspect of the question.

Ergonomics!! How does the gun handle for you? Your going too be carrying this thing virtually ALL the time. It must be responsive, NOW. The balance in your hands should be the deciding factor NOT is it PRETTY?

Can I get ON target? Now?

Not quite , but doesn't it look great?

YETCH!!

Pepe Ray
    With all due respect, Pepe Ray, the 1.5-5 Leupold scope on my 45-70 IS fast and handy. I went into a creekbed after a wounded boar with it dialed back to 1.5 power. He was hiding behind a tree waiting for me and I put a bullet (sorry, it was a RP 300) in his ear from about 10 ft before he could move. Guide didn't even have time to get his video camera in action. Said he'd never seen me move so fast and he's seen me in action many times. My answer was I'd never been so close to a PO'd boar.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 04-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

TXGunnut;
    Yessuh. I can see it in my minds eye. Wish I'd been there with you for real.
    The comfort and speed of an outfit has less to do with the actual equipment than the relationship the shooter has with his equipment. Hands on is the first move, swing to the target and fire. If you've done this more than a few times, you'll know by the feel in your heart if all is right.
    I've no doubt that your Leupy is perfect for your rig. It must be a personal decision however and NOT based on whether its PERIOD CORRECT, or handsome to the eye. Great performance is the achievement to be sought.

OBTW, for those who care, Burris still makes IER single power scopes as does Weaver.
    Carry on.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master

I have an older Weaver 1.5 to 4 variable and it is a compact scope and works great on my Guide Gun in 45/70. I shot a doe with it at a measured 190 yards with it. (Had to compensate for the trajectory and figured out the hold over) But for the most part where I hunt is under a 100 yards and the 1.5 X is great for that expecially if the deer are close. I have lost deer in the scope or just saw hair on a 3x9 X set on 3 X or with a straight 4 x if they are close enough. No issues when set on 1.5 X and the 4 X is there if you need it.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have an old 1.5- 4x Vari X111 Leupold I bought this second hand off a member of this board. Since I have had it, it has been mounted on a 308Win 7600 Remington Police pump action, a 444 Marlin and on two different 375 H&Hs. It is currently mounted on my Ruger No.1 Tropical in 375 H&H. Great scope. I have heard that the guys in the Northern Territory using this scope on the 416 Rigbys with full house loads have been having trouble, but the 45/70 is a bit of a ***** cat by comparison and it should go well.

I would recommend this scope, good bit of kit.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    The first scope I mounted on a Marlin 1895 was a Redfield 1.75-5x 20mm as the was what was available when Marlin first started to remake them in the 70's with the straight grip. When Marlin first came out with the pistol grip model I went down and bought one of them and that has the Leupold LPS 1.5-6x42mm mounted on it and it has a constant 4" of eye relief at all powers. I have used the 6x to sight in and I mostly use the 1.5x for hunting. If I had not found the Leupold LPS scope used I would have mounted one of my Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42mm on it and both scopes have about identical specifications and are very sharp and clear.

Boolit Buddy
    Another $.02.
    I have a Mueller scope on my 10-22 and absolutely love the scope. It has a variable intensity red-dot, that I never turn on, it is bright and clear and best of all it is very fast to find the target.
    Here's a link: http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-speed-shot-1-4x24
    One negative - the scope used 30mm rings, so ya gotta buy the big uns.
    I have a similar Leupold and used to have a similar Weaver - the Mueller beats them both.

M

+1 on the Weaver V3. (1-3 x 20)

I've had one on a 673 guide gun in 350 mag for over 14 years. No problems after 1000's of rounds. Even hundreds of 250grainers at 2500 fps!

I had an extra Leupold rimfire 4x scope lying around and put it on my dads new 45-70 Marlin GBL. Holds up just fine. I wasn't sure how it would do, but then thought what the heck as it has a lifetime warranty and I've never had a Leupold go bad. So, far so good. It's hard to beat a Leupold in my opinion. I know they are more expensive but I buy them to last my lifetime and longer.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by bgmkithaca View Post
    For hard kicking big bores I have gotten good service from the Weaver 1-3x20, I have used one for years on a .458 Win. Mag. and it takes the beating a lot better than I do-LOL I have another on a Marlin 1895 45-70 with the same results. I can't say anything against the other suggestions either, there are so many good ones to choose from.
    I have a couple of the Weaver V-3 1-3x20 scopes mounted on pistol caliber carbines and I agree it is a great little scope. Perfect for woods hunting and 4" of eye relief would definitely make it a good choice for the 45-70 Guide Gun.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    I have a Leupold Lightweight FX-II 2.5x on my Marlin 45-70 and it works well for me. I've broken 2 cheap variables on this rifle with my stout loads but this one has worked well; no shift in zero and plenty of eye relief.
    Maineboy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast