Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: I need some help building a PID

Boolit Master

I need some help building a PID

I am one of those people that can't understand electricity.
    Could I get one of the members who understands what computer parts can be combined to make a PID to assist me. I would rather not show my ignorance in posts for everyone to laugh at.
    I also have SKYPE so we could talk that way. Kevin

PM sent. The following thread was of great help to me.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ller-Schematic

The PIDs are for sale on eVil bAy purty cheap. All you need is one of these, a temperature probe which will work with both your application, and the PID, and - get an oversize, say 25 amp relay (the PIDs with the internal relays won't last long). Get a PID with output to relay (SSR), that way you won't have to modify the PID for external relay. The PID I got had a sticker saying what should be attached to each connection post on the PID. After that it's just getting connectors, and wiring it up. You can twist doorbell wire for most of the connections (I'm not too sure the voltage imput , which is 110, should use this fine wire, but I do believe the solid state PID uses only a tiny bit of current), and correct wire for the appliance at the in/out 110 volt side of the relay. And it has to have a resistor on the 110 volt power supply (should be integral already to the PID) or the PID would smoke instantly. I got a heat sink for the relay too.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

I used the metal case as a heat sink. Mounted the SSR on the outside and it's way in the back inside a wooden box I built to raise the post about 5 inches. Both front and back are open so there is an airflow through the box.
    FYI think of electricity like plumbing. Good thing about electrons is they don't spill out all over the floor if you have an open wire vs open end of a pipe.

Good luck
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place