Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder coating system

Boolit Bub

Unhappy Powder coating system

Hi all,

One quick question, if I may, please! I'd like to get the HF PC system, gun and powders, however, one small problem....Here in Australia, our current is 230V. No problem, you say..get a transformer. However, went to source a transformer and they shop attendant dutifully asked..how many amps?? 'Cos if you don't have the correct amperage, you can blow the transformer... They have 2, 5, and 8 amps. the 8A is $300 AU.

HF states that the PC systems is a 15A...Heck...here goes my PC endeavor shot down in flames, even before getting off the ground...

Does anyone have any suggestions/help, please?
    Thanks in advance
    bosco

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    15A?????????????????? What the>>>>>>>>>>>?

Download the PDF manual. The thing has a 0.5A fuse in it!

It draws next to nothing.

As usual, the HF site is *****.

Have fun,

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    Hey Bangerjim...
    thanks for that, yeah...did that and yep, .5A it is...Not even my stick welder is 15A..I plug it into the 10A plug..Maybe that's what they're referring to..Hehehe..***** indeed...Cool so I can get away with a say 1 or 2 A Tranformer...hey..now I's happy!! Now we're cooking with gas..
    Thanks
    bosco

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bosco555 View Post
    I's happy!! Now we're cooking with gas..
    Thanks
    bosco
    NO!! It's electric not gas!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned
    If the unit is .5A @120volts opt for the 2A step down transformer. Your not going to take out the transformer with a lighter load than what it is rated for.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    If the unit is .5A @120volts opt for the 2A step down transformer. Your not going to take out the transformer with a lighter load than what it is rated for.
    +that

As far as it being 15 amps, please.... Most likely referring to the required recepticle for the cord cap. You most commonly have 15, and 20 amp 120 volt recepticles in the US. 15 will fit into a 20, but not the other way.

You can always go bigger as far as amps are concerned. Its going smaller that you run into problems. Saw that a lot when I was in Germany. With what those autotransformers cost, lots of guys tried to go cheap. IIRC, a 300 watt was around $80 U.S., and a 1600 watt was over $400 U.S..

Then you had the guys that tried to go REAL cheap, skip the transformer, and go with a 99 cent plug adapter. You should see a set of 120 volt hair trimmers running on 220 volts! They go to beat all, for about 15 seconds...

Not even going to go into what the nurses in our dual voltage hospital could/would do to my equipment. "nurse" was a dirty word in my shop.
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 04-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Hi guys and thanks for the replies..apologies for my reply, been a bit hectic at work. Yeah I think I will go with the 2A transformer, just to be on the safe side....And Doc..yeah...been there as well with dumb@$$ people...hahahahaha!!!!

Boolit Master
    Bosco. Look on Ebay. They have 240 to 110volts step downs for $80 10amp and up.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Trev...will do...even better priced...cheers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco555 View Post
    Hi all,

One quick question, if I may, please! I'd like to get the HF PC system, gun and powders, however, one small problem....Here in Australia, our current is 230V. No problem, you say..get a transformer. However, went to source a transformer and they shop attendant dutifully asked..how many amps?? 'Cos if you don't have the correct amperage, you can blow the transformer... They have 2, 5, and 8 amps. the 8A is $300 AU.

HF states that the PC systems is a 15A...Heck...here goes my PC endeavor shot down in flames, even before getting off the ground...

Does anyone have any suggestions/help, please?
    Thanks in advance
    bosco
    One thing to remember, is as voltage goes up amperage goes down for the same wattage
    so IF it is 15A on 110v it'd be 7.5A on 220v
    The book shows .5A @ 120v so at 230v it's closer to .25A so the 2A transformer would be more than sufficient for the PC gun

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    One thing to remember, is as voltage goes up amperage goes down for the same wattage
    so IF it is 15A on 110v it'd be 7.5A on 220v
    The book shows .5A @ 120v so at 230v it's closer to .25A so the 2A transformer would be more than sufficient for the PC gun
    I would imagine they are giving the output amperage of the transformer at 120V not the input as that would be whatever is available in the 220V receptacle which would be much more than just 1 or 2 amps

I agree with Petroid. They're giving you the capacity of the finished product, which in this case, is 120VAC. If the HF PC system draws more than a fraction of an amp, I'll eat my shoe...

Another option is to rewire or replace the transformer inside the power supply. Look for an unused tap on the primary side of the transformer with half the number of windings.

Perhaps a ham radio operator in your area could be of assistance.