MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cordless drill battery rebuild ?

Cordless drill battery rebuild ?

Anyone have any experience with getting batteries rebuilt? I had a couple done a few yrs ago and was'nt totally satisfied. Lookin into a company called Voltman. thnx.

Boolit Master
    Very interested in this also particularly Li-ion as I have one that does not hold a charge and is no longer made by "Milwaukee".
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    yes interested to have about 3-4 Dewalts I would like to rebuild.

Galena Guru

I belong to a WW forum called Sawmill Creek , there was a guy there several years back that rebuilt cordless batteries in Virginia IIRC , don't remember his name , or if he still does it , but he rebuilt with stronger batteries for less than the cost of a new battery .. The new NiCad DW battery is not near as good as the original NiCad DW ..

Hate to spend the money on new Li On units
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

What I wanna know, if there is anyone making a deal that pops into the battery spot on a cordless too and allows you to plug it into the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    yes interested to have about 3-4 Dewalts I would like to rebuild.
    Check them to see if the case is assembled w/screws. If not, I was told they can't be rebuilt.

I'm getting out of the Dewalt tools completely. The beginning of the end was when Black & Decker bought them out. Same for Porter Cable. First thing Black & Decker seems to do is cheapen the product without concern for those of us who were satisfied and willing to pay the price. I did buy a Porter Cable biscuit joiner within days of B&D purchase of Porter Cable. I figured they didn't have time to screw it up.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

If there is a Batteries + Bulbs in your area then rebuild just about anything cordless.
    Had a couple of Dewalts rebuilt a couple of years ago, there still going.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy

At my local Batteries+Bulbs, they tell me Lithium Ion batteries cannot be rebuilt. I"ve had them rebuild 3 different nickel metal-hydride batteries for me, and each of them is easily 500% better than the factory. Stronger running and hold the charge at least 3 times as long as factory.
    I have no personal knowledge of any of the chemistry involved, but I've had great success with the nickel metal-hydride Makita brand batteries I've had rebuilt.
    For what it's worth.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Galena Guru

so who is the new go to for replacing my once loved yellow tools
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Banned

Used to have all Milwaukee, all made in the USA, then I found out that all common electric hand tools are made in China. If Milwaukee/all others do not care, then neither do I. The $19 "SawzAll" from Harbor Freight works pretty good compared to my $180 Super Sawzall which was better, Made in USA, but rarely do I need the $160 extra power/whatever.

Boolit Master
    "Home Shop Machinist" or "Machinist Work Shop" magazine had an article a few years ago about rebuilding/adapting old battery-powered tools. Drop them a line, they were pretty good about locating back issues for me a while back. https://secure.villagepress.com/stor...list/group/130
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

In Remembrance

Amazon has battery rebuild kits and I bought a battery for my DeWalt 14.4 volt drill for $29 shipped. It was a Chinese knock off but has worked well for six weeks with heavy use on the job. I really like the 12 volt in the small size with the impact feature. Two are 2 years old and have held up to almost daily use with one battery failure after a year. I just bought two more on Amazon.

Boolit Master
    I had a Milwaukee 18 volt battery rebuilt a couple of years ago by Batteries Plus. It was great for a while but then I noticed it was not holding a charge as long as it used to. Now, I may drive 12-15 three inch screws and it's done. It will take a charge quite fast, judt doesn't last.

Yeap, I had a battery for my 1990's vintage Makita repacked. Twice as good as before. Worth every cent as the drill is from the era when they are were still made to last.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    so who is the new go to for replacing my once loved yellow tools
    In my company, I threw away ALL the DeWalt battery tools a couple years ago and went with Bosch......everything....drills to saws. never looked back! The Bosch Li-Ion technology is so far ahead of the yellow junk, it is really amazing. DW corded tools are still good but you see more DW batteries at the battery trade-in/recycle centers than any tother brand.

If you want to waste money on rebuilding batteries go to Batteries+. They will do it......for a PRICE!!!!!!

bangerjim

Boolit Bub

I rebuilt one a yew years ago. Ordered the 2/3 C cells off of fleabay, they were fine held a charge better than the original until one day it started to let the smoke out. My bad I may try it again very careful

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    What I wanna know, if there is anyone making a deal that pops into the battery spot on a cordless too and allows you to plug it into the wall.
    Not really possible! The in-rush current is thru the roof. That is why batteries work well. I built a power supply to replace (sortof) the 18v NIMh batteries my 7 1/2" miter saw used. It took a 15 amp 20vdc supply! And it was still slow on start and bogged down pretty easily under load.

In other words.....the battery eliminator would be 4-5x the size of your tool!

Stick with batteries.......Li-Ion is the ONLY technology that works (and works and works and works) in power hand tools. Forget NICD and NIMh......old news.....old technology.....garbage.

NiCad's have horrible "memory" problems and loose power rapidly over time. And NIMh batteries are actually made to drain themselves gradually automatically, so when you go to use them they are always dead!

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I had a Milwaukee 18 volt battery rebuilt a couple of years ago by Batteries Plus. It was great for a while but then I noticed it was not holding a charge as long as it used to. Now, I may drive 12-15 three inch screws and it's done. It will take a charge quite fast, judt doesn't last.
    You are seeing the failures of the NICad and NIMh old technologies. That is exactly what they do over time. The new Li-Ion technology last for years and maintain full charge capacity over that time!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Point of technicality:
    They don't rebuild the batteries, they rebuild the battery PACK by putting new batteries in it.
    Ni-Cad: worthless, except for things like emergency lighting that's constantly being recharged.
    Ni-Mh: good stuff, no memory effect.
    Li-Ion: the best!

There is a lithium-polymer, model airplane guys liked these except if they get punctured
    they can catch fire from the oxygen in the air. Maybe not good for construction tools.

Hey all, I have a guy near me here in Tenn. that rebuilds batteries for hand tools. Had a couple of mine rebuilt, work great, when they were a yr old had him recycle them so they will get full charge all the time. Guys name is Mark and here is his address and phone #:
    Phone #: 931 403 1810
    Commercial Tool Service
    319 Oakley St.
    Livingston, Tn
    Oh and he can explain why ion batteries aren't good to rebuild.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt