MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee liquid aloe recipies with SPG as a part?

Lee liquid aloe recipies with SPG as a part?

I've read in a number of places the secret recipe for the Lee LLA to be mixed with the same amount of Johnson Paste Wax (45% each) and the last ten percent to be of mineral spirits. Yes I've been forwarded the tell it all video of making the mix but was left with more questions than answers. It sounded like you put the equal amounts of LLA and Paste Wax into the pot and melt it. Then while it is still on the warm side of things you'd add the ten percent of mineral spirits to thin out the mix, adding or subtracting the amount of mineral spirits to balance out the viscosity of the overall mix.

This got me to thinking that if the Johnson paste wax can eliminate the nasty, sticky portion of tumble lubing your bullets, could some SPG lube be used in say a 33/33/33 percent amount with the LLA and the Paste Wax? Then if even necessary, use only the very smallest portion of mineral spirits just to get the stuff flowing out your bottle to tumble lube your boolits? Not having done any of this type of lubing (save using straight LLA which stunk big time), I figured what's the harm in trying another mix just to see how it works?

What I think I'll end up with is a thicker blend at the end of the process, yet it will still retain the un-sticky attributes from the inclusion of the Paste Wax. In SASS days, I use to knurl the boolits to allow more lube to be applied and it worked except for the fact that the knurling makes for a larger diameter that has to be resized. This time, starting with a smaller mold, then knurling, then re-sizing (but only taking off one to two thousandths instead of 5-6 as before) I think I may have a winner? Anyone mess with this stuff? Smithy.
    Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are way over thinking this.

The paste wax does cut down on drying time but so does the mineral spirits. The mineral spirits evaporate off quicker than the stuff the paster was starts out with, that is why it needs to be cooked down first- carefully so a fire doesn't occur.

Adding SPG would very likely make it not dry as that stuff will have grease and what not that isn't going to dry- ever.

As for knurling- why? 45/45/10 needs but a very thin film. It works fine the way it is on normal groove bullets. Knurling adds a time consuming step and the effect of it is minimized by the sizing which will just flatten out much of the roughness the knurling produced.

Reinventing the wheel isn't always a good idea. This wheel rolls well as is.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Not over-thinking it, just trying to figure out what to do with a couple of pounds of chewed off and cut into SPG bulk lube that I had for SASS shooting? I guess the trash needs a couple of pounds yet? Smithy.

Boolit Master

I sell TAC 1 and love to play around with lubes and try new and innovative ideas, but your gonna give us a dang headache or a nose bleed
    Just to touch the surface; SPG is way too expensive and not that great to use in a "perfect lube for what it was designed for" like 45/45/10
    As btroj says; your gonna take the dry away from the 45/45/10 and make it into a sticky lube..

randyrat, maybe you missed my last post? I said that I had around two pounds of that expensive, greasy lube left over from SASS days and didn't want to just pitch it. It looks horrible however since it's been dug into on numerous occasions and was used mainly for pan lube. I may get me another Buffalo Products Lube Ribbon maker to make lube cookies for my current loads. Works like a champ and keeps the bore squeaky clean. Smithy.

Boolit Master

Oh, your just trying to modify what you have and not trying re invent the wheel. Well if anything, it's a free bump! until someone here can give you better advice like one of our resident chemist or mad scientist.