Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Hensley & Gibbs 4 Cavity Mould on eBay

Hensley & Gibbs 4 Cavity Mould on eBay

FYI for those who may be bidding on this mould:

Hensley & Gibbs 4 Cavity 38 Wad-cutter Mold 148gr #50bb
    Item Id: 171298404106

Dear txflyboy,

I cleaned the outside of it with wire wheel on bench grinder and the inside with small stainless steal wire wheel on my drimmel tool.

-----Original Message-----
    From: eBay Member: txflyboy <<email address removed per ebay policy>>
    To: mtgtool <<email address removed per ebay policy>>
    Sent: Sat, Apr 12, 2014 9:55 am
    Subject: Other: txflyboy sent a message about Hensley & Gibbs 4 Cavity 38 Wad-cutter Mold 148gr #50bb #171298404106

Dear mtgtool,

Beautiful mould. How did you clean it?

Tom in VA

- txflyboy
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Oh man. That kinda' sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard. Some people have no idea.

Boolit Buddy
    So, what do you think it's worth with the wire brush damage???

Boolit Buddy
    It's also listed as "New" though described as "Like New". I just sent the seller this:

Are you going to withdraw this listing as "new" and put it back up as USED?

I see traces of rust in the cavities. Besides the fact that H&G has been out of business for decades, you will avoid a buyer complaint of "not as described" by listing it as used and de-rusted. I won't bid on it until the description includes an account of whatever clean-up methods you used on this venerable antique.

Close-up pics of the insides of the blocks where the lube grooves are will give buyers more confidence.

Thanks!

We'll see what develops. It's one thing to abuse a vintage piece of quality equipment. It's an other to pawn it off as "New" or "Like New" when it has been abusively de-rusted!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I found a similar mold from that site from a different vendor. The mold was old but in good shape, the guy I got it from didn't try to `clean it up'. It also is an H & G #50.
    It had been put up with some sort of oil that had hardened, a shot of brake cleaner took care of that. After the first casting session, I decided to lap the cavities with some fine
    valve grinding compound. It wasn't very much but it was enough to clean up cavities. It cast like a champ. Thanks for the heads up on this particular mold.

Boolit Master

Tfboy - A big thank you for passing that along. I know I wouldn't touch it !!! A shame. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Gee....I'm surprised he didn't sand blast it!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I just rub the faces on the concrete sidewalk. lol
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Banned

thankfully it was the only H&G mold I have ever seen for sale.
    I'm beginning to think they only made the #50 mold Monday through Friday, and only did the others when they worked part time on Saturday.

Boolit Master
    I'm probably an idiot, but I'm currently the high bidder. I doubt it will hold, and if it's in really bad shape I clearly have recourse for reimbursement. The hard part would be telling my wife I spent money on another mold when we just put glasses on our 9 year old daughter...
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Thank you for posting this, everytime I almost go back to shopping on fleabay, I remember the addage "you get what you pay for/buyer beware.

Boolit Master

Well, he does have "tool" at the end of his handle !!
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Well, he does have "tool" at the end of his handle !!

And you have "taint" at the end of yours........

Boolit Mold
    Durn, what happened?
    We were working on a perfectly good "dogpile" on this idiot "tool" guy, then it just seemed to fizzle out.
    It's Easter, lets kick him some more. The nerve of him honestly answering a question from the Texasflieboy who lives in Virginia. And thanks to flieboy for saving us from buying an item that had very detailed pictures and the ability to return it if we weren't happy. Because the rest of us are way to stupid to ask questions and too blind to see the pictures.
    And let's not forget to thank Grumpy for being a volunteer Ebay Policeman by rudely demanding that that"tool" delete his ad. I thought Grumpy was just one of seven Dwarves/Dwarfs, who knew?

Well anyway Happy Easter to all of you....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texasflyboy View Post
    FYI for those who may be bidding on this mould:

Hensley & Gibbs 4 Cavity 38 Wad-cutter Mold 148gr #50bb
    Item Id: 171298404106

Dear txflyboy,

I cleaned the outside of it with wire wheel on bench grinder and the inside with small stainless steal wire wheel on my drimmel tool.

-----Original Message-----
    From: eBay Member: txflyboy <<email address removed per ebay policy>>
    To: mtgtool <<email address removed per ebay policy>>
    Sent: Sat, Apr 12, 2014 9:55 am
    Subject: Other: txflyboy sent a message about Hensley & Gibbs 4 Cavity 38 Wad-cutter Mold 148gr #50bb #171298404106

Dear mtgtool,

Beautiful mould. How did you clean it?

Tom in VA

- txflyboy
    yep I try to get it just in case it was still usable,but somebody wanted it more then I did
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by mtgtool View Post
    Durn, what happened?
    Your troubles began when you cleaned that mould the wrong way. It was your mistake, made in either ignorance or good faith. I don't know which. I only know the results.

We ride for the brand here. When eBay removed the ability for bidders to contact each other, this place, and the knowledge and resources here were all that was left to inform the group members about potential flaws in an item listed for sale on eBay.

eBay wouldn't let us do it, so we came here and pooled our knowledge. It may well be your first time selling a Hensley and Gibbs bullet mould, but I can assure you the knowledge pool here has seen and spotted more damaged goods on eBay than you're likely to see in three lifetimes.

This board is to help the members make educated decisions about purchases. It's a benefit of being a member. Should you decide to stay the tune you're whistling may change over time as you see the benefit of pooled knowledge.

I asked you about that mould because no where in your listing did you state that you cleaned it with a wire wheel brush. But to me, the fact that you had was as plain as day to me. I've seen, handled, purchased a number of damaged moulds. I know what to look for. And I know where to share that information with my fellow bullet casters. I've watched hundreds of auctions on eBay, and many had damage that was plain to me but not so clear to the bidders. And once again, since eBay won't let me warn bidders there, I do it here.

I'm here to help my fellow casters. Not harm sellers.

Thanks for showing up here. We try to be as welcoming as possible.

Tom in VA

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Boolit Master
    mtgtool:

Even though you have just 2 posts you did join way back in Jan 2009 !
    I will therefore assume you are well aware of Tom's expertise on H & G molds !
    He is our "go-to" guy around here for anything related to that brand.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    So, are we to believe that Mtgtool is the seller?

Seems a bit ambiguous from where I sit and read.

So, Tool, you want to give props to the seller/yourself? for honestly answering a question, then ignore the little problem that you say I'm trying to play "police" with correcting? It's not new. Even amongst the eBay community that is pretty fundamental.

And if you think my message to the seller was rude, I think you need some counseling for that thin skin. I can do rude and sarcastic, and THAT wasn't it.

Nor was that message some wannabe policing. If I wanted to play Cop, I would be contacting the eBay gun-hating management directly, and taking other steps to get the seller into trouble. I know how to do that, and have done it when there were serious misrepresentations of important facts.

Yeah, so it's rude to ask a seller with a typo (benefit of the doubt here!) to correct a false "what it is" listing that's inconsistent with the description.

As far as I'm concerned, that honest answer to Texasflyboy's inquiry should have been in the original listing's description, or at least added to it after the question came up.

This was far, far different from those "I really don't know what it is" listings for obscure car parts that show up on eBay motors. That seller knew more than he/she was telling, and it was information that should have been told.

I hope the high bidder had appropriate expectations for it. My expectations with what I know (and way too many years of fixing and de-rusting broken and rusty stuff) were that the mould was worth maybe $85 with those handles. Someone else of course is free to value it more. But that estimate of value should be based on disclosure of all the important facts.

And dragging "Happy Easter" into this, well I would call that irrelevant, immaterial and downright rude.

Boolit Master

mgtool - I'm the guy with taint at the end of his handle. Where to begin ?? Let's see - you had two molds (at least) for sale last week. The one in question, you tried to clean up. Not a major crime, you know. I'd bet you probably didn't know you shouldn't do that. At least not the way it was done. I'd also bet that many other folks do the same thing. That's not making anyone a criminal, is it ?? Look at it this way - you learned something. Maybe not the optimum way to learn stuff, but you learned just the same. You couldn't know you were asked a question by someone who is VERY well versed in Hensley & Gibbs molds. His warning us here was merely an attempt to help others out, who may not have known the diff. That doesn't make him a bad guy either. I don't know how many boolit molds, H&G or otherwise you sell, but it would be to your benefit to hang around here and learn some more stuff. We're actually very nice people. We spend plenty of time helping each other out, in many respects. So, rather than deciding we're a bunch of a** hats, give yourself a chance to enhance your knowledge of what you (at least) sometimes sell. You might even ask questions, ahead of time. You might even ask Tom. I'll bet he'd be of assistance.
    Oh, by the way, I'm the guy who bought your other H&G 50. The one that appeared to be left alone. I actually needed the handles, because I ignored Tom's advice once and bought an H&G mold without the handles. My bad. So now, I have 2 H&G 50's. Maybe I'll sell one some day, who knows ??