Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Need a smelting burner

Need a smelting burner

I've looked at all the stickies and have narrowed things down to three burners for smelting WW (I just scored 4 5 gal. buckets). the Bayou Classic SP10 55,000 BTU 10lb. regulator,the Bayou Classic SP1 185,000 BTU jet burner 20lb. regulator and the Camp Chef SHP-RL 60,000 BTU I assume has a 10lb. regulator. I'll beef up the legs if need be, no problem doing that and if the jet is noisy, I can put up with that if the higher BTU's is worth it. I may go with a 12 inch dutch oven, I haven't decided on that yet. I just need to upgrade from a 750 watt hot plate. Any advice on these three burners, any advantages or disadvantages to each would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    When I started out I used a 4 quart dutch oven and the smaller 55K-60K BTU burner was fine with a wind shield. I found a 10 quart dutch oven and wanted to do 150lbs at a shot so I upped my burner to 175K BTU with a 10psi regulator. Still use a windshield and lid. I can process about a ton of WW off a 20lb tank. I guess it depends on how much you need to process.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smelter 028.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	102169Click image for larger version. 

ID:	102169

Got a weed burner for Harbor Freight and adapted it as shown. The pot is from dcrocket on this site. Really works fast and is very controllable.

Thanks jsizemore. I should go the route you took and go for max BTU.

Boolit Master

Name:	Smelter 023.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	102170

OOps! got the same picture twice!

Nice one retread!

Boolit Bub
    I use the Bayou Classic, 55K BTU, 10# regulator; 10 quart cast iron Dutch oven and it works well. First fill melts in about 35 minutes, refills melt in about 20 minutes.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

ID:	102169Click image for larger version. 

ID:	102169

Got a weed burner for Harbor Freight and adapted it as shown. The pot is from dcrocket on this site. Really works fast and is very controllable.
    Now I'd buy a stand like the one shown there!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I use a weed burner from Harbor frieght also Mine has been modified with the "Jet valve removed and a lever valve added for on of and a ball valve to adjust flame. This allows the temp setting to be kept and the first valve ( lever) to turn on and off. A 90* elbow and appropriate 1/8" pipe nipple set the hieght of the burner for my turkey frier stand. I recently broke the 7qt Dutch oven ( 20 some years old) and replaced it with one made from a 25 lb propane cylinder. This set up has worked for me for many years. I smelt and cast both with it.

Moderator Emeritus

I just used the Bayou Classic SP10 for the first time on Saturday. Was windy so for the next batch I am creating a smelting station out of a discarded Weber grill station. I used a propane tank I had cut and it worked perfect. The stand easily held a full bucket of wheel weights. Everything worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I just used the Bayou Classic SP10 for the first time on Saturday. Was windy so for the next batch I am creating a smelting station out of a discarded Weber grill station. I used a propane tank I had cut and it worked perfect. The stand easily held a full bucket of wheel weights. Everything worked great.
    My SP10 is supposed to arrive this Friday. Too many negative reviews about the jet model for me to take a chance. I'll be using a 3 quart cast iron sauce pan. Thanks everybody for the help!

Moderator Emeritus

I found it easy to setup and use. Like I said, I strongly suggest a wind screen. Have fun.