MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns that explode in your hand ( Graphic Images )

Boolit Master on Heavens Range

Guns that explode in your hand ( Graphic Images )

Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Vendor Sponsor

great reminder of how we need to ALWAYS practice safe shooting
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

and definitely "safe loading"

I would feel terrible if something like that happened to someone that was shooting my reloads.

Thanks for sharing that.

Good reminder of what can go wrong.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    Thanks Bonz. That's the most blown up guns I have ever seen in one viewing. Some are a lot worse than expected. Great reminder to always wear your protective gear! Jay
    Last edited by jaystuw; 04-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

There's little doubt in my mind that most if not nearly all kabooms are caused by obstructed bores. As long as the bore is clear even a massive overcharge has somewhere to go and the gun in most cases will not be damaged enough to hurt someone. The key is to recognize when a projectile has not left the bore. Good loading techniques will lessen the chances but we still have to be vigilant.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Not sure which made my teeth clench more...the pics or the soundtrack!
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master

Sobering reminder to always put safety first. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    There's little doubt in my mind that most if not nearly all kabooms are caused by obstructed bores. As long as the bore is clear even a massive overcharge has somewhere to go and the gun in most cases will not be damaged enough to hurt someone. The key is to recognize when a projectile has not left the bore. Good loading techniques will lessen the chances but we still have to be vigilant.
    My thoughts exactly. That and a flat out race in the loading room with a progressive. The ONLY thing in the loading room that matters is how many an hour can you do. Well, the only thing that matters until your hands and gun look like those in the video.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

My brother was loading his own back in '71. He was not watching for the inevitable case stretch in an '06 Springfield. He was hunting at the time.He blew the gun up. The front lugs sheered right off. He was losing powder specs out of his eyes for the next fifteen years. He was very lucky. He didn't load anymore until about ten years ago. I told him what happened. Neither one of us had a mentor. I read a lot though. I started loading in about '73. Casting about a year later.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

My "second home" for many years has either been a local gun shop or a Gun maker's shop so I have seen the results of a ton of catastrophic failures many of which weren't bore obstructions. It's always guess work pretty much after the fact but they have run the gambit of gross over loads to probably SEE. It's 'never' a reload of course or often enough from some person who "knows" reloading manuals are very conservative and can load over max with "no" problems. Some guns held together with no damage to the shooter but many are disastrous with permanent consequences. One of the most impressive ones I've seen was a 243 rifle that bulged the action and really set the lugs back but the shooter wasn't injured. To give you an idea of the pressures involved I kept the case that was still in the gun and I'd show it to people. They would always comment...I never knew Winchester made a rimmed 243....they didn't..... but the brass flowed so much it couldn't tell it from a rimmed case. The neck and shoulder held together and it looked liked a rimmed 243.

Boolit Master
    A whole lot of different makes, models, types of actions and types of firearms there.
    Not just "one of those"(x,y,or z, plastic, etc) guns, so it really can happen to all types! Wow sure wouldn't think so when someone posts a pic of one blow up with the posts by some mall ninja "experts".
    Good link.

I have got to find the pics of what Can happen to your hand when it is over the ejection port when unlosding a live round.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    One of those pictures with a Savage rifle the owner left a laser bore sighter in the muzzle and the barrel peeled back like a banana. Another couple looked like Savage 110ML muzzle loaders that can use smokeless powder.

in Remebrance
    I have a "belted" 30/06 case from a customer's rifle out in the shop. Bolt was locked shut, got it loose and the primer was gone, the case head was expanded from factory .466" to .492". Was loaded by an idiot 16yr old kid with no supervision, no idea what he loaded in it. Was a student of my wife's, she had heard him tell his buddies of loading cases with this or that "to see what happens". Surprisingly the rifle wasn't damaged. No pill for stupidity. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    I'm always leery of rapid fire - how can one stop in time if there is a squib load? But I admit, it's fun sometimes to shoot fast. I've often thought that machine gunners must lead a charmed life.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I have personally witnessed a M1A come apart do to the reloaded mistakenly using pistol ball powder instead of the correct rifle ball powder. It was at a match. We found parts (chunks) 90 yards away.

Boolit Master
    it still confounds me how people can do such things, dont know what powder? pistol instead of rifle? no manuals?

squibs scare the !!!!! out of me

Boolit Master
    Wonder how many of us cruise the different web sites we belong to and I for one always see many questions from a new reloader asking for load info. When I started in 1968 I was and am a "reader" I read and bought many reloading manuals. I only had two firearms at the time. One was a 1891 argy mauser and a M1 carbine. They provided me with hours of shooting and reloading fun. But then again over the years I have also seen loading boo boo's from some of the major ammo mfgr's. Primers seated backwards, case with overly large extraction grooves causing extremely hard chambering due to the extractor having to grab the extraction groove, improperly seated bullets crushing part of the case and others. The overly large extraction groove really threw me for a loop until I measured the groove and checked both mil spec and commercial brands and checked them. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

squibs scare the !!!!! out of me -9w1911

"Loudest" thing I've ever heard at a PPC match was a squib load (after I replaced a Douglas barrel) on the line with 49 other shooters. Three other shooters heard it as well. A 38 target load fired into a 1" heavy bbl will not blow it up but it will bulge it a bit.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast