MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Silliest thing you've heard?

Silliest thing you've heard?

Hi Folks,

While I was in the shop loading 45-70 ammo my mind drifted and I recalled giving a fellow a ride in my truck. We were going fishing. He picked up a box of ammo on the truck seat and was telling me he knew a lot about guns, because he comes from a family of hunters back in Michigan. Then he removed a cartridge from the box of Winchester 510 grain soft point 458 Win Mag ammo, turned it over a few times and asked "Is this a pistol bullet?"

What's your favorite story about silly remarks?

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    I heard one the other day. It was about Alliant selling all their powder to the military, and not selling powder any longer to reloaders. I heard it right here on this board, so it must be true. It came from a well informed new gun shop owner second hand.

Boolit Grand Master

38 special is bigger than 357 cause 38 is bigger than 357.

Also 44 mag is so much bigger than 41 mag cause one is .44" the other .41"

Reloading lead is illegal

Silencers are illegal

Full auto weapons are illegal

The list could go on for days

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I was an indoor range director. We had this guy who would whine and snivel if he had to take the shooting position next to the wall! Claimed shooting from that position would cause him to miss the target bull. He also maintained that three of us who shot 190 Anschutz rifles had an advantage over those who used the peep-sighted club rifles. One day I got fed up with that BS and went in there, took the position next to the wall, got my kid to hand me a different club rifle for each of ten shots and went and gave the whiner the target with ten bulls, nine X. Shut him up----finally!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Had a "dude" tell me he was a door gunner on choppers in the military. Said he "always" used a 60 caliber machinegun! I asked him just what kind of MG that would have been, he replied, "An M-60!"

Here's your sign!!!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Folks,

While I was in the shop loading 45-70 ammo my mind drifted and I recalled giving a fellow a ride in my truck. We were going fishing. He picked up a box of ammo on the truck seat and was telling me he knew a lot about guns, because he comes from a family of hunters back in Michigan. Then he removed a cartridge from the box of Winchester 510 grain soft point 458 Win Mag ammo, turned it over a few times and asked "Is this a pistol bullet?"

What's your favorite story about silly remarks?

Take care, Tom
    Well, it might have been, to Elmer Keith.........

"what the hell are you doin shootin' lead boolits? Dont you know that will ruin your barrel?"

Boolit Master
    Probably the mass misunderstandings about lead bullets from a technical standpoint. You'll get lead poisoning, you'll damage your barrel, your glock will explode, they aren't accurate, etc.

Perhaps one of the more ridiculous things I've heard though was while standing in a gun shop the other day, a gentleman in at least his late 60s was telling everyone and anyone who would listen very loudly and forcefully about how he crept across a field in vietnam to slit somebody's throat and save his colonel. I always thought the posers were exaggerated, but that guy was actually trying to pass it off as real!

That said I'm a manager at a retail store and one of my employees is a high school kid who has lately tried his best to impress me with his brother in law's gun collection which he says is "hundreds and hundreds of guns" (I know of his BiL, and I doubt he owns much of anything, honestly), and talked at length about how precise he is with his "22 caliber american made luger". When I prodded him for details on the American luger and asked if he meant Ruger, he affirmed that no, it was a luger, and they came to the united states before wwII.

I'm a great shot. Your gun must be off.

Oh and my all time fav. reloading will cause your gun to explode

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    Probably the mass misunderstandings about lead bullets from a technical standpoint. You'll get lead poisoning, you'll damage your barrel, your glock will explode, they aren't accurate, etc.

Perhaps one of the more ridiculous things I've heard though was while standing in a gun shop the other day, a gentleman in at least his late 60s was telling everyone and anyone who would listen very loudly and forcefully about how he crept across a field in vietnam to slit somebody's throat and save his colonel. I always thought the posers were exaggerated, but that guy was actually trying to pass it off as real!

That said I'm a manager at a retail store and one of my employees is a high school kid who has lately tried his best to impress me with his brother in law's gun collection which he says is "hundreds and hundreds of guns" (I know of his BiL, and I doubt he owns much of anything, honestly), and talked at length about how precise he is with his "22 caliber american made luger". When I prodded him for details on the American luger and asked if he meant Ruger, he affirmed that no, it was a luger, and they came to the united states before wwII.
    I'm 64, and I vaguely remember Mauser branded 'Lugers' in .22rf in the dark distant past, but not WWII. This would have been in the 60's or 70's. Then there were the ERMA 'Luger' lookalikes that I recall. Looked like a Luger, but not toggle operated. Learning about guns takes a lot of time, questions, and reading. Most teens want to be taken seriously. Don't berate him, guide him. mikey

Vendor Sponsor

Gander Mountain salesman to a customer..
    You can't shoot lead bullets in an AR15 it will fill up the barrel with lead and Explode !!
    never ever shoot reloads in a glock .. it will Explode
    Or the guy who could not figure out why everytime he pulled the trigger on his Mosin he saw the fire of god.. had to hammer the bolt up and pick out all the 308 brass pieces.. His buddy was in Nam and mosins were 308 caliber..would not hear it was the wrong rds he was shooting
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Then there was the new loader returning his gun to the shop because nothing he did would fire. When asked what his loads were, he immediately and proudly replied he carefully used 8 grains of powder.....and meticulously counted each and every one of those grains under a magnifying glass to make sure he got it just right. He did not want to blow up his new gun!

One is born every minute.....and they eventually reproduce....and VOTE!!!!

banger

Obama's speeches...
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Heard at work this past week;
    "Pb, you shouldn't shoot lead bullets in your 45, it smears lead all over."
    "I don't use Unique for my 9mm, it is a rifle powder." <<<<<from the office reloading expert.
    "but Red Dot is my favorite 223 powder."<<<<< same guy, he lost me at this point,,,
    "They can arrest you if they find reloads in your CCW gun"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Then there was the new loader returning his gun to the shop because nothing he did would fire. When asked what his loads were, he immediately and proudly replied he carefully used 8 grains of powder.....and meticulously counted each and every one of those grains under a magnifying glass to make sure he got it just right. He did not want to blow up his new gun!

One is born every minute.....and they eventually reproduce....and VOTE!!!!

banger
    wonder what he would have done with Trailboss ?
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    wonder what he would have done with Trailboss ?
    Added milk and start eating. They do look like cereal......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    "what the hell are you doin shootin' lead boolits? Dont you know that will ruin your barrel?"
    I've heard that more times than I can count.

Boolit Master

My first stunt working for the Post Office in the mid-70's. The majority of the male work force were WW2 and Korea vets. There were a few at every station that told some real whopper war stories that grew every time it was told. Nearly obscene kill numbers and some tall tales even a 10 year old would not believe. A classic example was a sailor shooting down a Zero with a 45 during the Pearl Harbor attack. A Merchant Marine claimed to have sunk a U-Boat with a hand grenade. One co-worker was a never promoted 2nd LT for nearly the entire war claimed he was on Eisenhower's personal staff of advisors. The actual combat veterans didn't have much to say. Especially the Marine Island Hoppers usually saying something like "I don't like talking about it". They were the real heroes with believable stories on the rare occasions they'd open up. The Marines would talk and brag about winning or losing a bunch of cash or souvenirs in a card or dice game while at sea. When the conversation turned into combat stories they usually clammed up, dropped out of the conversation and let the others tell their tall tales.

I was at a trap range where this one man could break every target when closer than 20 yards. When we went back to 27 yards for the shootoff he would complain that his gun wouldn't' shoot that far.
    After listening to this for about 4 shoots I asked if I could try his gun. I proceeded to break 10 target in a row from 27 yards with it.
    The man took his shotgun, walked over to his car,put the gun in a case, and left the range.
    He was signed up on 4 more shoots and just left them.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast