Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: hrters

In Remembrance

hrters

I was loading some 357 ammo yesterday, and some of the headstamps was hrtrs, I assume that was a herters headstamp, if not what is it?

Boolit Bub
    It is Herters. Good brass. Don't have any of their .357 brass, but their .45 Colt brass is thicker than Winchester or Starline...

Boolit Master

Made by Norma in Sweden.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

In Remembrance
    The few I have are nice. I figured it was herters, but I don't recall ever having any herters ammo. I am not even sure where I got this brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Cabela's is selling it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Bathtub load of Herters ammo available at the gun show today.
    It surprised me, but the font wasn't correct for the old company.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some old .32 S&W Long Herter's brass that says Made in Canada on the boxes.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Galena Guru

Herter's ( the originals ) went under in the mid to late 70's
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Herters brass was made by Norma. All of te Herters brass ai have ever had was marked with the full name though.

Boolit Grand Master
    As Wayne Smith mentioned, Cabela's is selling Herter's ammo now. I do not know how they legally got the Herter's name, or if they are the only place sellingthe ammo.

I first saw it a few years ago when they had a table full of 7.62x39 on sale. I believe that it was made in eastern Europe and Berdan primed, but I could be mistaken; like I said, it has been a few years.

I do not know the headstamp, I wasn't curious enough to open a box and look.

Robert

On Heaven's Range

It's pretty obviously a case of just using the old trade-name from years ago.

A box of .30 carbine which I recently bought at Cabela's is marked "Made in the Czech Republic" and elsewhere mentions Sellier & Bellot.

Another Herters-marked cartridge box found at the Carson City range was printed "Made in Russia". (I don't recall the caliber.... maybe .223?)

Obviously, they are having ammo made wherever a good price can be had, and also where there is available production capacity.

The VERY limited amount I've fired seems to be of decent quality, and the Carbine stuff at least was in Boxer-primed brass cases.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know about the new stuff, but I see some of the boxes of new being sold at Cabellas. I am still loading and shooting about 30 or more 6.5x55 Herters brass that I bought many years ago, full name on head stamp, good quality brass. Came in a metallic silver box (wish I had kept the boxes).
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

On Heaven's Range

Back in the '70s I received a sale flyer from Herters. It advertised new 6.5x55 Boxer-style brass for FIFTEEN CENTS per box of 20.

I sent them a letter, saying that I thought their price was in error, but "Here's a Money Order for $25.00; please send me whatever that amount will buy."

A week or two later, comes a BIG box from Herters.... ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY 20-round boxes of Swedish-made 6.5x55 brass!!! No charge for shipping, and this was when I lived in the Canadian Arctic.

The brass was headstamped "Herters", and the boxes did say "Made In Sweden". I used that excellent brass for many years.

This brass was also in the silver boxes as mentioned.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Back in the '70s I received a sale flyer from Herters. It advertised new 6.5x55 Boxer-style brass for FIFTEEN CENTS per box of 20.

I sent them a letter, saying that I thought their price was in error, but "Here's a Money Order for $25.00; please send me whatever that amount will buy."

A week or two later, comes a BIG box from Herters.... ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY 20-round boxes of Swedish-made 6.5x55 brass!!! No charge for shipping, and this was when I lived in the Canadian Arctic.

The brass was headstamped "Herters", and the boxes did say "Made In Sweden". I used that excellent brass for many years.

Reading posts like this one of Bruce's makes me wish I had known of Herter's once I started earning my own money in the later 1970's, or that they had lasted a few decades longer.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    I bought some Herter's .303 Brit brass here in Canada. I ordered by mail and had never heard of Herter's but I figured for 16.50 for 50 I'd take a chance. Its really nice new old stock made in Sweden . I placed another order and loaded up!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Bruce, it must have taken some doing to wear out 3,400 (!!!!) 6.5 Swede brass. I suspect maybe you know something about reloading the cartridge I love hearing about scores like this.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

On Heaven's Range

As a dealer at that time in Arctic Canada, I was buying AG42B Ljungmann semi-auto 6.5s for around $40 in near-new condition, and M96 and M38 Swedish Mausers for even less. The Mausers were in fine condition as well..... the Swedes take GOOD CARE of their service rifles.

The cartridge is fine for caribou, and also not at all bad on moose (ask the Swedes!).

I sure wouldn't do it here and now, but I was actually selling each of the rifles with a couple of boxes of handloaded 6.5x55 in those shiny new cases..... I made good money and the customers (mostly friends, or at least acquaintances) were very happy with the results.

Some of the brass also got sold or traded to other handloaders.... for a VERY handsome profit, although the actual price was pretty low by "market standards".

Even so, that monster pile of Herters' brass really did last a long time.