Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crimping the blank load for the 44-40

Boolit Grand Master

If the formed 44-40 cases are the same OAL the seating die should roll crimp the blanks also. Get a couple jacketed .41 Magnum bullets and set them on top of the seated over powder wad. Adjust the seating die to give a good roll crimp and adjust the seating stem so the .44 bullet holds the over powder wad just under the roll crimp as it is crimped. The same .41 jacketed bullet is used for the following blanks. I find the Hornady 210 gr XTP worked well for the batch of 44-40 BP blanks I made up.

Larry Gibson

This is it, quite simple (Ha, if I can do it so can you), I used a RCBS expander punch, lets me adjust for different case lengths.
    Thanks, could you post one more photo of the insert with a view of the surface that does the star crimp?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Thanks, could you post one more photo of the insert with a view of the surface that does the star crimp?
    Yes I can but not for a few days, camera has gone south, not sure when it'll come home.

Boolit Master
    btw,
    I started with cut down .303 empties, cut to same length of 44-40 loaded. My plan is to 3/4 load with Black, and then wad and crimp. With the loss of height due to the crimp, it should just slide in like a 5 in 1 blank (of which I have close to 300, so I used them for sizing also).
    The .303s are so plentiful and cheep, I can just lever from horseback, and not worry about catching valuable brass. The plastic 5 in ones are not re-loadable, but cost about the same as brass, so I reaqlly am glad I won't have to rely on them any more.
    I heard of someone using 44 sp cases, something about they are longer than 44-40, and not as expensive????
    when I get home, I will give you the length of cut.

Yes I can but not for a few days, camera has gone south, not sure when it'll come home.
    No problem, thank you.

In Remembrance

When doing the gunfights at the Calgary Stampede, I had a set of RCBS '5-in-1 Blank' dies specifically for making blanks that fit almost everything, and like you, cut off .303 Brit cases. 2.0 grs. B'eye to get the dirty black out the muzzle before it ignited BOOM, a caseful of 2F, a card wad and a heavy crimp. The cases could be reloaded umpteen times, the trick was to find where you'd dropped them! (Most of us just carried enough guns we didn't need to reload.)
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Ok,
    I cut the .303 down to 1.580, and then had to anneal the heck out of it, as the .303 shoulders are way too tough for my machine, I am now happy with the shoulder and crimping. I am waiting on a new set of case holders, and the one I have won't fit (you have to have one for the .303!!). I think Swaneeb had the right formula, and I am looking forward to running some next monday when I get home, to see how they feed in the Henry.
    But, Yes the insert is going to work great, I just have to set a spacer in the Lee decapper to take up the excess room so things will fall in line.
    The Universal Decapper is the way to go, as the .45 and .44-40 are too small for the crimper insert to go into.
    But Habcan, this is the reason for me wanting to do this, just eject and go. 5 in ones are expensive. (of course I got the 303s cheep, I see where they are becoming somewhat of a premium too now, huh!!)

Boolit Master
    Attachment 104132Attachment 104133

this should be the pics of the crimp. Mine came in, and I use the phone to take them. It works good, and the thing is SHARP!!
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    If any one is still following this, here is the Crimper tool that I put together, using SWANEEBDs help, and It works well. It also is the decapper tool.
    I am having to trim the .303 rims down to .504, and am using the case holder for the 44-40 for the go-nogo gauge. these now feed in the Uberti Henry very well.
    the rod is a 5x24 4 inches long that I cut down that I picked up at Lowes. Using the 5x24 nuts, and pining the end in the crimp tool (that was the hardest part)
    Again thanks for the ideas, I am getting geared up for the next season.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12