Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: PP for the 30-40 Kaig

PP for the 30-40 Kaig

I'm concidering PPing for the 30-40 Kraig and I wondered if anyone else is presently doing so. I have a Lee mold that is out of spec and have thoughts of milling it to mold straight sided PP boolits. I'm thinking a design and weight that mimmiks the original round nose boolit. Casted size about .304-06. Any thoughts on this?

I have found that "slicks" are more trouble than they are worth. I use grooved bullets sized to bore diameter +.001/.0015 for best results. I have had, and sold at least half a dozen "slick sided" molds over the years. The groves give the paper something to grip and hold a bit of lube on the paper. Make sure the nose section of the bullet is as large as the body size you use. I have had to lap a number of nose sections out to get a full length size on the bullet. If you can find one, a Loverin design works great. I size my 30cals to .301/.3015, wrap with 16# paper and final size to .311. Be careful, PPing is very addictive and there is no known cure!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

I paper patch for an 1895 Winchester in .30-40. The bullet is similar to the Lyman 311331 that I had made. I botched the measurements and the thing turned out too small, particularly the nose which is about .2985. I size that bullet to .304 with spring back and patch with .002 thick 25 pound tracing paper. The result is a .311 patched bullet (no final sizing). This bullet on top of 40 some grains of R19 gives great satisfaction. The groups shown were shot at 100 yards, the shots in the black target were made with quite a bit of cross wind.

Attachment 101988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95 Win groups.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	101989