MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To micro grove or not???? Marlin 45-70

Boolit Master

Question To micro grove or not???? Marlin 45-70

Guys I have a chance to pick up a 45-70 in a marlin full size lever(22"barrel). Condition is good and I think the price is ok ($459). It is an older pre safety model. Only thing I am not sure about is the Micro Grove barrel and cast bullets. Now I have read post after post and I just can not get a FACT for an answer. Does a micro grove barrel play nice with cast bullets? What Lee mold works well for the 45-70 if any? Should I steer clear of a micro grove barrel? I am new to 45-70 round all together. Advice welcome and as always thanks in advance.

Micro groove and cast are fine IF you load the correct diameter boolit for your rifle. Many of the marlin leverguns require a bit larger diameter because the groove diameter is on the large side.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    [...] Now I have read post after post and I just can not get a FACT for an answer.
    That's because this is the Internet.

Boolit Master
    My 1895 pre safety shoots most any 300 to 420 grain lyman/ Lee/ Noe as long as they are sized .459/460 very accurate lever gun,buy it you will like it. And fun developing loads ,mouse fart to thumper ,it"s a long winter and the list of powder/boolit combos is endless ,love 45/70s

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 1970's vintage Marlin 1895 with microgroove rifling and it shot cast boolits just fine. I didn't even know back then that I should slug the bore. I just shot as cast and got very good results using both the Lee 405 gr. flat point and Lyman 457124 385 gr. round nose.

I must have lucked out and gotten a "normal size barrel or moulds that cast as they should in my opinion, a little oversize so they can be sized back as required.

In my case, they shot well as cast and hand lubed.

Also, I tended to load as hot as the gun would handle and had no leading problems with PB boolits.

.45-70 is an excellent round with loads of moulds and data available. Even at factory/BP equivalent loads it is a potent round but can be hand loaded pretty much to your recoil limitation.

Buy it and enjoy!

Longbow

Last year I developed a load for my '94 44 Mag using plain base cast boolits. Getting the correct boolit/powder/charge combination took some work but that's all part of the fun. Personally I'm not a fan of Micro Groove barrels simply because they DO NOT like Black Powder at all but if you're shooting nothing but smokeless there's nothing wrong with them.

I have one in 45-70 and 1 in 450 Marlin and get good results from both.

That is a very fair price in this neck of the woods.

Outdoor Ron...., Look at the targets in this thread, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...a-Believe-This. Mine was shot with a Microgroove #336.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! I think I will head to the shop in the morning. See if I can work out a deal on the brass that came in with the gun. I will keep you guys posted. I hope pic's are to come if it's not sold already.

Boolit Master

The myth that micro groove cannot shoot cast is worth less than a wooden nickle, the fact is that no under-sized CB shoots worth a hoot. Yes, MG needs larger than expected diameter CB's but so what? It is the nature of the beast.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Foto Joe:

I shot loads of BP in my old Marlin with microgroove rifling and had no problems whatsoever with it. Just make sure you clean up well after shooting! I suspect if one let BP start corroding microgroove rifling it wouldn't be rifling for long, but like i said, I shot loads of BP through mine with nary a problem.

Wishing I still had the gun but it was a casualty of my need for money to go to school many years ago. I just never replaced it.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I think at one point I had something like seven Marlin 1895's in 45-70 . Of which one was a circa 1978 Micro Groove gun . I used it with a Ranch Dog 460-350GC bullet to knock over one of the better whitetails I've killed .

FWIW my first sizing die for the 45-70 was .459" and that's what I used for that deer and it shot very well . Later I went to a .461" sizing die and my groups shrunk a touch .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    That one nice buck. Only four hours till the shop opens. You guys will know by the end of the day if I am mould shopping for 45-70 or not.

Shawlerbrook you know what is going on with this state at the moment. If it is not a pistol or black gun it is being sold. Good time for us casters to pick up some nice deals on older rifles and shotguns. My lgs is flooded with used shotguns, black powder rifles and 22s.

Boolit Master
    Mine all shoot fine my mico groove barrel 95 .45-70 is very accurate with 300gr. 375gr. 405gr.and 420gr gas check or plain base it shoots them all well mico groove not shooting cast is a myth!

Boolit Master

As stated the MG barrel is accurate with the right size bullet. But the molds and sizing dies for .459 or .460 or .461 might be a little harder to come by. Also when you get a big enough bullet you may need to address the neck sizing of your cases. Some reloading dies are toleranced for jacketed bullets and resize your "fat" bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    But the molds and sizing dies for .459 or .460 or .461 might be a little harder to come by.
    Nope .459 are made by Lyman and RCBS . Buffalo Arms makes a .460 as well as the .461 which happens to be where I got the die I have now . Might add I also got a .433 die for use in my 44 MAG / 444 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the great posts. I have been holding off to reply to my own thread to find out what is going on with the rifle. I headed to the shop first thing yesterday morning and walked to the counter with a smile on my face gun in hand. I will not give names just yet or the name of the shop but one of the new workers takes the rifle from me. He starts to get out the paperwork and stops. Looks at me and says that cant be rite. I said what cant be? The price he states! Long story short I will know today at 1pm if I can buy the gun for the tagged price or not. I have to state I HATE THIS SHOP and have for many years. I have watched them sell AR's to first time hunters and 44mags to woman getting a pistol permit that have never shot a handgun. Ok sorry i almost started a rant.

That put behind me I stopped into another shop on the way home, this one much smaller.I saw an older marlin in 35 rem for 397.97. I picked it up and ask if it has any wiggle room? Got my answer and what I am getting at is one way or another I will be bringing home a new lever today. Pics to come. Will it be a 45-70 or a 35 Rem, you never know it might even be both. Wish me luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like you win either way. I have both, RD designed boolits for both that do the job quite well for me. I've had no problems getting accurate groups with CB's in the MG barrels in 35 Rem and 30-30.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    One out of two but the day is not over. This is the 336 in 35 Rem. In decent shape for what I paid. Think I will refinish the stock after I empty some brass in it. I only have six 35 Rem shells. Oh well six is better then none.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01346.jpg   DSC01349.jpg