Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 300 blk out loads for 16" 1-9 twist

Boolit Master

300 blk out loads for 16" 1-9 twist

Finally picked up a 300 blk out barrel for my ar, it's 16" 1-9 twist, want to know from you that have been shooting this round for awhile what the heaviest bool it that will stabilize for his twist, bought this just to shoot subsonic, have a encore for supersonic lighter loads.
    Have molds from 170-248gr and plenty of heavy J word bullets but want to keep this one all cast.
    Also what would be the best hardness so there is no damage to the nose when feeding from magazine?

Boolit Master

I have 1-8" and it stabilizes 245gr just fine, not sure about 1-9" though.

Boolit Master
    Where did you get a 9 twist barrel?? That's a new one on me. There are a couple of online bullet stability calculators: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi is one. According to it the Lee bullet would be stable @1050fps in a 9 twist.

Where did you get a 9 twist barrel??
    I'm looking for a 1:10, best I can find is a 1:8.5. I'm shooting 3% Sb WD'd small FN from an AR10 clone, no feeding problems.
    Whatever!

Banned

they are out there.
    I got a p.m. about a 1-10 twist barrel maker a while back but can't find it now.
    the rifle I bought has a 1-7 twist in it.
    so far it's not been a problem to get to shoot well, even with some of the longer 170 plus grain boolits.
    the 30-165b has shot some dang good groups even with the gas check below the neck.
    the rcbs 30-165silh boolit has the edge as far as individual group sizes so far.
    I just got the lee 245gr mold, I plan on throwing some of these out there super slow to see what happens.

Boolit Master

Got the barrel yesterday, checked the twist and it is 1-8 so I feel better knowing I can shoot the heavy cast, checked the leade with a loaded 248gr and it just touches the rifling. Now to get the rest of the parts for a dedicated 300 upper.

Boolit Buddy

daytona, if you are looking for parts for an upper I just got most of mine from Palemeto State Armory, if you don't mind a "blemished" upper (I couldn't find any on mine) they had them stripped for $49.99 (+$7 sh) or $69.99+$7 for an upper, dust cover and forward assist.

Mods, if this is not acceptable to post please delete, I am in no way associated with PSA, I just got a good deal on parts and wanted to pass the info along.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    daytona, if you are looking for parts for an upper I just got most of mine from Palemeto State Armory, if you don't mind a "blemished" upper (I couldn't find any on mine) they had them stripped for $49.99 (+$7 sh) or $69.99+$7 for an upper, dust cover and forward assist.
    I got a couple of those stripped uppers as well when they were on sale for 40$. The ano was a little chalky, and rainbowed on the inside, but you wouldn't know it unless I pointed it out to you. They are a great buy especially if you intend on doing a camo job on your gun anyway. I love my rattle canned AR pistol in 300AAC!