Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Caldwell chronograph kit

Boolit Master

Caldwell chronograph kit

OK, I read all the chronograph discussions and took a nap to recover from the headache. Has anyone used the Caldwell kit that Graf has on sale? I am antsy about the brain being downrange, and I'm wondering about the facility of using my phone for a controller/recorder. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
    Ed

Boolit Master
    Bumpity bump...

Boolit Buddy
    I was really hoping you would get some response as I've been looking into getting my first chronograph real soon. I was hoping that new technology radar chronograph thing would be out already, or at least have a price on it (http://www.mylabradar.com/) but no, not yet.

Otherwise I was probably going to get the ProChrono, but the one you found looks just as good... hmm.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/852...ProductFinding

-Brad

Boolit Master
    Let's bump this again.

I have the Caldwell kit, got mine from Midway. I like the fact that you can download the App for the phone or pad and control the unit without going down range. The tripod is a bit on the flimsy side, I have not used the lights provided for inside use. Long story short, seems to work well for the money.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    I have the chronograph, and the app for my phone and think it is great! Much better than my Chrony due to a couple of things. First, you can plug it into a smartphone, and it logs the data for you that can be downloaded into your computer. Second, it has less errors than my Chrony did. It seems less sensitive to light conditions. Oh, and being able to put a steel plate at a 45 degree angle to protect it from a stray boolit without worrying what is on the screen that you can't see is nice. I was shooting next to someone with a F1 last night, and he liked mine much better. Funny, he had an accident and shot his while I was there. He was complaining about the Chrony getting nothing but errors. Took the flag down and took a look. Well there your problem, you have a hole through the center of the back sensor. I bet he ordered the one I have that night. I can see no reason not to get one unless you want to spend 300$ or more on a magnetospeed which I have seen, and like better but don't want to plunk that kind of money down for.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I've always wanted some kind of chrono but haven't had the $$$$ til now. If the unit is wired up to your iphone, and you have the app, does your phone show the data right there on the bench or does it have to wait til you download it?

iPhone will show the data at the bench, you control the unit with the phone or pad, start new groups, save groups and add load and firearm info. You can also use the edit function and add load info later.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    I have a Gphone, and the data is instantaneous right there at the bench including SD, speed,spread,temperature, pressure ect.

Boolit Master
    UPDATE:
    I've had the Caldwell now for several years. Yes the tripod is shamefully flimsy. Staking it down with tent spikes and paracord did not help. The unit is highly sensitive to direct sun hitting the eyes at an angle. The phone app has been nothing but trouble - at first the app would lose data, then it quit accepting inputs altogether. I got around the sun problem by converting a heavy cardboard box into a chrono garage, and got around the wind-blowing-it-over problem by clamping the box onto a Workmate. Even with the sun blocked and the lights installed in the box, and building blast baffles into the front and back of the box, it's still giving errors galore. The lights and brain eat batteries like mad. So, yeah, I haven't been real happy with it.
    Ed <><

well that sucks, because I have one on the fedex truck

Boolit Buddy
    Other than the tripod, I have had nothing but praise for my Caldwell chrono. For the app, I use the cord that goes into my phones headphone jack. Love the app

Boolit Master
    Photo tripods are often found in the various thrift shops for not much.

I got my chronograph (PACT Pro) in '95 and it's still doing fine; I've never understood why so many folk choose to shoot theirs. I mean, it's quite easy to set one up for clear shooting without putting holes in it. ??

I got a chance to shoot over my calwell yesterday. I have limited experience with chronographs in that I have only used one brand, a Chrony. That being said, I didn't have as man errors, or it didn't seem a finicky as the chronys i had in the past... i realize that this was a small sample, but there you have it... LOL

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Magnetospeed and like it pretty good.

Boolit Master

I have the Caldwell G2 - the electronics package is on top, so far less likely to get shot:

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club