Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Question regarding gunpowder

Question Question regarding gunpowder

In the past I've always purchased my powder a pound or two at a time as I needed it. Due to difficulty getting powder I've decided to just order an 8 pound keg of the two powders I use the most. I mainly use Alliant Unique and 2400 for my loading. An 8 pound keg of each will last me quite a while.

Here is the question. Who is a reliable supplier of gunpowder that will take a backorder, and actually deliver when it comes in? I realize it will take MONTHS to get it, but I think I've got enough powder to get by. The suppliers of reloading components in my area (SW MO) won't take any backorders. I'd appreciate it if those of you with experience ordering from these suppliers could recommend a reputable, reliable, supplier to me. Thank you for your help!

Boolit Master

There's no such animal that I know of. If there was, you'd be in line behind a million other like-minded shooters.

Love Life
    No help here. You just have to keep checking and order as soon as it's available.

Cabelas

Yup, just keep digging.
    Another thing to percolate on is changing powders. The two you mentioned are fine powders. I have done my part over the years to burn a lot of it.
    But in this day, don't get married to one powder. Get the manuals out, look over the data and make a list of alternates to what you load to. I carry a little note book with me at all times, and in the back is a list of powders I use, and ones to look for that can also fit the bill. That way when I am in a shop with supplies, I can quick reference my lists with what is there. It just paid off over the weekend.

Boolit Master
    Like the dinosaur said on toy story when they threw Woody out of the truck, """ Oh no now I have guilt"""
    My preparation began a decade ago so now I am feeling no pain. I am down a little from my peak 250 lbs powder and 250,000 primers but I am still comfortable.

Check with Brownells and Powder Valley

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    Check with Brownells and Powder Valley
    FYI .. I have back orders with Brownells .. I phoned last week and they stated that they are now shipping back orders from last September.

I'd just changed powders. Got a copy of Quickload and went to town. Blue Dot and AA#9 replaced 2400, which I've now lost interest in entirely. I've got Unique, but prefer Bullseye anyway. The one I really missed was Varget, but it's starting to show up again. Was planning to work out substitute loads with 8208XBR, which I will do anyway.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Bullshop thank you for setting the bar for me,
    I need 150lbs more powder and about 230,000 more primers

You never know how much is enough until you have too much.

And to paraphrase an old pilots' joke - "The only time you can have too much powder stored is when your house is on fire."
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beesdad View Post
    FYI .. I have back orders with Brownells .. I phoned last week and they stated that they are now shipping back orders from last September.
    I was visiting with an old friend on the inside at Brownells a couple of months ago. As large as they are it has been difficult for them to get the powders they need. I don't think we are going to see any let up in the near future. As I sit here and reflect on my 55 years of shooting and the amount of powder I have burned in all my reloads, rifle, shotgun, and pistol I don't think that a lot of guys can burn up the amount of inventory they are camped out on.

Iowa fox wrote " I don't think that a lot of guys can burn up the amount of inventory they are camped out on."

If your providing the inventory...challenge accepted, lol.

For some guys its a hedge, or bet that the prices will keep going up(purty safe bet) and supplies at times aren't available. I'd rather have WAY too much then not enough.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

replaced 2400 powder,,,,,blasphemy!!!! HA!

Boolit Master

Grafs is still taking back orders. I placed an order a few months ago for Unique.