Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Gettin' Started, help!

Boolit Mold

Just Gettin' Started, help!

Getting started on a budget basics....
    Last edited by Nise; 04-02-2015 at 02:50 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

WW are fine for handgun rounds. Many a fine bullet has been made out of them.

If you have access to a casting pot I'd take advantage of it for now.

So first you'll need a smelting setup as you really dont want all the dirt in your casting pot. I'd find a yardsale turkey fryer, coleman stove, or hotplate for a heat source. Of the three the hotplate is cheapest and the turkey fryer most effective (and expensive) so its all about time vs $. Then find a pot suitable for your heat source. For a coleman stove or hotplate I'd think about a 6-8 inch iron skillet. For a Turkey fryer I'd think about a cast iron dutch oven. Again, yard sales and flee markets are your friends. A hotplate and skillet can probably be had for <$10 with a bit of looking.

That handles the detail of melting the weights, a small steel sieve or a spoon can be used to scoop the clips out of your mix and pieces of old candles are a good flux for starters. (Think kids broken crayons).

Now you need molds. I'm gonna catch crap for saying this, but for the 9mm and 45 Acp, I'd buy the lee tumble lube round nose designs (TL356-124-2R and TL452-230-2R) and tumble lube them and load at as cast size. You can worry about other designs and lube-sizers later. Those two molds will get you started cheap and will usually shoot well in the 45 and 9.

In the 41, you may need to water drop your WW bullets to get them a little harder as pressures are usually greater than with the 45 and 9 loads. It has been too long since I played with a 41 for me to make a decent recommendation as to mold so I'm going to refrain and let others point you in the right direction.

Once you are started, save your money for the Lee 4-20 Pot. They are enough better than the 10 lbs pots to be well worth the difference in cost. You'll find a lot of your funds going to new molds and lube dies if you let them, but you can get by with a few molds and tumble lubing, a lot of us did just that when we started out.

Welcome to the crew,

Wiljen

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Start in the "Classics & Stickies" area,, you have a ton of info in there . Welcome to CB.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Mold
    The Lee tumble lube molds are definitely the cheapest way to get started. If you're casting straight WW, there's really no need to size. But if do decide to size your boolits, the Lee sizers are also inexpensive. They just screw into your press like a die and you push the boolit thru, lube, load and shoot. I believe most of the guys here that cast tumble lube boolits, use Lee Liquid Alox. For low velocity plinkin pistol boolits I lube with Rooster Jacket which you can get thru Midway.

Super Moderator

...............Rendering the wild wheel weight into the domesticated ingot for further training into useable boolits is best done outside. The smell of hot dog pee, tobbaco juice, and flaming rubber valve stems tends to get the war dept riled up for some reason.

Once you have the ingots made, rendering them into boolits can be done in the house on the stove. However, this too can get a bit smokey so is really best done in the garage, patio, breezeway or suchlike areas. In any regard, you do NOT want to go directly from the WW to casting boolits in the same pot.

Immediately begin gathering all the lead you can lay hands on. It is impossible to have too much regardless what the wife, mother in law, neighbors or anyone else thinks. If YOU ever think you have enough you're delusional and just haven't thought it through completely. Lead is a commodity and is just like gold so far as a caster is concerned.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm a big fan of gas checks, but lately they have risen in price to where each checked .45 boolit I use costs 3 cents for the check. The .41 magnum will do what it was designed to do without a gas check, if everything else is right. If you're trying to reduce shooting costs, use gas check money on the rifle calibers.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    Nise, I don't believe Lee makes gas check tumble lube Pistol boolit molds. I may be wrong here, but if they do, I want a 44 gc mold

Steve, check out these custom tumble lube Ranch Dog Bullets. You can order them here: http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/ He has gas check tumble lube bullets in 265 and 300 grain weights.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 01-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've only recently started shooting a .41 and have been shooting water dropped wheel weights in full power loads, Lee tumble lubed, no leading at all, no gas checks involved.

BTW, if you're on a tight budget I have a spare Lee 2-hole .41 tumble lube mold you can borrow to try it and see if it works for you, just send me a PM.

You said you wanted to keep it simple, the Lee tumble lube molds, push-through sizers and tumble lube is the way to do it. It's a cheap way to get started, figured I'd give it a try before buying the fancier gear. 10's of 1000's of rounds later, still using them, seems to be working OK. BTW, the tumble lube will work on most any bullet, not just the special designs.

Boolit Buddy
    I must admit I haven't been pushing them quite that fast I don't think, about 19 grains of 2400 or 11.5-12 of 800X which may be just a little faster.

Got the arthritis thing in both hands so have to keep the recoil somewhat reasonable these days, but according to the charts the 800x load should be about 1350-1400 fps.

I like the 2400, but had a chance to pick up a 12 pound keg of 800X dirt cheap and couldn't pass it up. Nice powder in that it's pretty "potent", slow burner but doesn't take many grains to get the boolit up to speed. 12 grains of 800X gets about the same velocity as 19-20 grains of 2400. A lot of people hate it because the powder flakes look like little saucers, they're huge. I've found the rifle insert in my Hornady powder measure works just fine but the pistol insert doesn't work worth a darn due to the size of the flakes.

For getting started I would get a cheapo Wally world hotplate or propane burner of some sort, a one quart heavy saucepan from yard sale or attic etc(althought I have used a metal 2lb coffee can with no problems),and a wider 1 galon pot of some sort for smelting(initial cleaning of WW). I cast for a few years with a ladle and think it a great way to learn. A Lyman ladle works just fine and is not too pricey. I also would go with the tumble lube bullet. You ought to be able to get started for $25 or less. Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    I got some lead, but don't know if pure or not, not even sure what it was from, (found in trash pile It was sheet lead, approx 6' long 18" wide by about 1/16" thick. Pretty soft and easy to bend, but most would be that thick. I melted it down into ingots. Any way to tell purity? Also, if I need to add tin, where can I get some, or is it best to forego and just load down? Thanks again!
    ..............Who knows where it was from or what it was for initially? If it's easy to bend It's probably pure, or close to pure lead. Notwithstanding it's 1/16" thickness, an alloy like WW would bend a couple times and then fracture. If you can scratch an actual grouge into it with your thumbnail it's pure lead.

You're planning to shoot smokless so set that stuff aside. Mark the ingots so you can recognize them later. WW alloy is the best, cheapest, most widely available, and has a very broad range of applications for both pisto and rifle boolit making. It's kind of a standard baseline alloy. But ANY scrap lead has value, so get all you can glom onto.

So far as tin goes there is no 'Tin-Mart' or 'Tin is US' store to direct you to. Tin is where and how you find it. Midway offers it however, as pure. Your hardware store will have it in the form of lead free solder. You can check your Yellow Pages for metals dealers, but they probably won't want to waste thier time with a 1 or 5 lb order.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    Just wondering if it's necessary to size? got tumble lube and mold ordered. trying to make sense of the lyman 450, but it's pretty neglected and don't have sizer for it. will check out push thru sizer. thanks again.
    ...............You don't have to size a cast lead slug, TL design or regular. Sizing is only a requirement to make a cast boolit fit. If the slug fits in it's "As Cast" condition why would you size it, and more to the point, what would you size it down to?

If the boolit is useable as cast, you just need a lube-size die a thousandth oversize so you're not sizing. You're only applying lube. For lots of pistol loads and some rifle loads Lee Liquid Alox (LA) will do the job. LA's claim to fame is that it is very simple and fast to do. Using a Lube/Sizer press is a one at a time proposition. With LA you can do a couple pounds at a time.

Getting a bit off your question, but TL'ing has one major fault. It coats the nose and this can or actually WILL cause it to build up in any die the round is run up into, ie: Seating, taper or roll crimping or the Lee Factory Crimp die. As it also coats the base of the boolit, a portion of the powder charge is going to be stuck to it.

In fact I just got down loading some 38 S&W ammo using the GB 146gr RNPB for use in a Iver Johnson top break revolver. The load was 1.8grs of Bullseye and it wouldn't surprize me if the entire charge was stuck to the boolit's base If so, at least they'll be consistant, eh?

................Buckshot

Boolit Master
    Nise, if you are on a tight budget, stick to plain base bullets where you can. In revolvers, that should be up to 1000 fps sure, and 1200 fps maybe. If you absolutely have to have GC, go by the Group Buys forum and see about getting in on a buy from Gator. That's about the only place to get the right checks for .41 mag, anyway.

Lee Liquid Alox is a bit of a nuisance about building up in the seating die. My work around is just to keep a small screwdriver handy and clean out the nose punch after every box.

You don't need to own a turkey frier. You only need to be able to borrow one a time or two a year. Harbor Freight has a big dutch oven for under $15. You can clean up and alloy about 400 pounds of WW in a morning. That'll do me a year, maybe two, depending on what I am shooting and how often.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes alcohol is not strong enough to clean new moulds. I use Gun Scrubber or even brake cleaner on a new mould. Wrinkled boolits mean either a contaminated mould, contaminated alloy, or too little heat.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    For 35 years I cast boolits without a lead thermometer. Back when I started, they weren't as available as they are now. I increased the alloy temperature until I got a light frosting of the boolit, and still do that today. Since I now have an RCBS thermometer, I know what the temperature is. Using WW alloy, nothing below 700 degrees or above 800 degrees. If I add some linotype or use straight linotype, I can lower the temperature.

Nise,
    how far from the spout are you putting the mold? I keep most molds close enought to pour and have a sprue without interfering with spout. I keep a stack of siferent plates to use as spacers to lay molds on. Second, you want to open spout quickly and fully to fill mold as fast as possible and leave a decent sprue. With contaminated lead I would get a pretty nice looking boolit with mebbe an inclusion or a ratty pocked area with a touch of white dusty corrosion looking stuff.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Nise,
    OK, you got the mold clean. Did you dip the edge of the blocks in the alloy to preheat them? usually takes 45 sec or so. Did you try smoking the cavities with a butane lighter or match? This works better if the blocks are hot (prevents condensation on the blocks under the smoke). You might still have to go hotter on the melt temp. Some batches just don't flow well and need help. Please note that lots of people on here like to run things hot enough to look frosty and for the sprues to take a few seconds to set.
    Sometimes you gotta play with them a while to figure out what it takes to make them work, even with RCBS or Lymans. A notebook to record results can save having to relearn what it wants if you haven't used a particular mold in a while.
    Rick

I like bringing my molds up to temp by setting them on an electric, single burner bought at "ChinaMart" for around $13.00.

Cloudpeak

Cloudpeak,

How long have you lived in the Buffalo/Sheridan area?

MJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast