Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wanted Swedish and ended up with Swiss

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Darrell, comments in the quote in red.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherdarrell View Post
    It would appear kpl Alfred Stouffer didn't do too much boot cleaning with his weapon. Is it proper protocol to leave the tag in place? Trust me on this: If you move that tag off the rifle and lose it, you will regret it. Best thing to do is to write that address and see what kind of response you get.

I slugged the bore and came up with .310"/.298". I looks like I can finally put my Lyman 311291to work.

I have been checking out threads and feel I have a pretty start on this rifle, but I do have a couple of questions:

Are there any quirks and or do/do nots unique to the function and loading for this rifle? It's a straight pull, but it's still a bolt action and can be cleaned like one. The GI surplus kits for these, if you can find one, are darn nice and have an excellent grease that works well for lubing them or for storing any bolt action to prevent rust in barrel. And it only takes a tiny, tiny bit of it. I got a kit with one full jar and one partial. I've never used any out of the full jar in ten years.

Is there a good you-tube video about stripping for cleaning?Google is your friend, but it's pretty basic.

Any reason to shoot the box of factory or pull the bullets and go straight to boolits? The GI surplus is berdan primed, but the brass is excellent and the bullets work very well in that rifle. Before you buy or reload anything, I would suggest getting a box of the surplus and shoot it with that first. Those guys shoot and know how to make quality, accurate ammunition for their military.

oh yeah, $300 with the box of factory. You done good.

Boolit Master
    I drilled and tapped my Swiss scope mount to fit a Weaver base. That way I could use my 30MM rings to hold a 6-24x50 Vortex. Have only taken about a 100 shots so far, but scope hasn't moved yet.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I am in full blown OCD at this point. As usual I am way over analyzing, but by the time I get the factory ammo shot and get lead loaded it will be a couple of weeks. So, if I am boring anyone I apologize. You would think I was loading 22 centerfire.

I decided to drop a Saeco #315 (NOE) into the "throat" and give it a little tap. This is what came out...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	101827

The second small body band from the left shows where the start of the rifling lifted up some lead. This is the start of the throat. What is not so apparant in my slightly fuzzy photo is engraving on the first three body bands but not the nose, which is .301" (bore diameter is .298"). The body band with the lifted lead is .309" (groove diameter is .310"). I think I will be all right but, as usual, welcome any experienced opinions. I will also try to chill out a little until I actually shoot this thing)

Darrell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0200-2.jpg  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    I drilled and tapped my Swiss scope mount to fit a Weaver base. That way I could use my 30MM rings to hold a 6-24x50 Vortex. Have only taken about a 100 shots so far, but scope hasn't moved yet.
    Or, one can buy dovetail to Weaver adapters off e-bay. They come in a variety of configurations. I got one of the really tight SIG made barrels. .294/.306. Shoots great, no doubt my best shooting milsurp. Finding a bullet that'd fit the bore/groove without seating below the neck/shoulder wasn't easy. But I got lucky, I'd bought the cherry for the Eagan MX3-30AR off ebay and had a mold made with it. Perfect fit. Even the NOE K31 bullet was too big for my rifle. Looks like you may have found one already though. Here's the adapters I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vector-Optic...item1e75935653 Allows me up to a 40mm objective bell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K31 mount 002.JPG  
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-09-2014 at 02:28 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

"Small enough to make you smile". NOE's fatnosed version of the 315, their 314175 did just that that for me today. It was out of a Krag though. Top band on it is .304.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12