Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired bullets photos

Love Life

Fired bullets photos

Ladies and Germs,

In a year of testing I have accumulated 200+ targets, and multiple recovered bullets. The evidence is saying that coated bullets are more accurate from polygonal rifled barrels AND that the polygonal rifled barrels are easier on the coating. What I need is your help in either verifying or disproving this thought.

THIS IS NOT A HT VS PC VS WHATEVER THREAD

That being said I am asking that you post photos of your recovered bullets and you state the following:
    what kind of rifling it was shot through: Polygonal or standard
    Barrel Length
    Firearm Model
    Approx. velocity
    GC or no GC
    Type of coating
    Leading or no leading
    Accuracy

I'll start it off:
    Polygonal rifling
    3.77 in barrel
    Glock 36
    800 FPS
    No GC
    HI-TEK Super Coat
    No leading
    2.5-3 inch 14 shot groups at 20 yds

Attachment 101667Attachment 101668

Next:
    Standard rifling
    5 inch barrel
    S&W 1026
    1100 FPS
    No GC
    HI-TEK Super Coat
    No leading
    3-4 inch 18 shot groups at 25 yrds

Attachment 101669
    Attachment 101670
    Attachment 101672

Next:
    Standard rifling
    4 inch barrel
    S&W model 28
    900 FPS
    No GC
    HI-TEK Supercoat
    No leading
    3-4 inch groups at 25 yards

Attachment 101671

As you can see, the edges of the rifling on standard rifled barrels is cutting the coating. I have other bullets fired from glocks in different calibers that show the same as the Glock bullets posted here. I've never experienced any leading, but it is interesting indeed. I'm not sure what this means at this point, but I have (unfortunately) put up another drawing board to do some figuring.

So...without further ado...post em' up!!

Don't have a glock but my experience with PC or HiTek is the same. Standard does cut the coating but no leading and equal (or better) accuracy. I don't normally shoot that far but @ 25 accuracy was 1 1/2", stout 40SW load. That said, I'm looking for a 300 BO slow barrel, only I can find is poly. Maybe it will work.
    Edit:Probably would be better but I cant see both sights at the same time. Shot resting trigger guard on a 4x4. Close to 80 rounds or 1/2 peanut jar - however you want to measure.
    3" XDs9 @ 7 yds standard grooves
    127 gr. LRFN, no real L.G.
    2x dark green H.T. sized 0.357, WD after 2nd, 2% Sb + Cu.
    ~ 1k fps.
    never was able to recover any.
    Attachment 101739
    Last edited by popper; 04-08-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: add target info
    Whatever!

Love Life
    I find the fear of polygonal rifling by the cast bullet world as weird. Yes, if you shoot dead soft lead with no lube in a 9mm, then you will lead up the barrel. However; I have been able to get all my Glocks shooting lead in all calibers just fine. Just fine indeed. I wonder if the mirror finish in a Glock barrel helps?

Hopefully somebody else coats and has a polygonal rifled barrel they shoot from who can chime in.

dead soft lead with no lube in a 9mm, then you will lead up the barrel
    Any barrel, any cal.
    Hopefully somebody else coats and has a polygonal rifle barrel they shoot from who can chime in.
    Me too. Hate to make a $350 mistake.
    What alloy were you using? I did notice pressure 'cuts' along the rifling edges with PC, i.e. no PC along the edges. Didn't find any HiTek coated 9s to compare.
    Whatever!

Love Life
    Random hodge podge in the pot, water dropped after 2nd bake.

Boolit Master

Love Life,

What's the ALLOY MIX, Brinell hardness?

Love Life
    Random hodgepodge in pot. Doesn't scratch easily with thumbnail, smashes same against COWW. That's about as much science you get out of me when it comes to alloys.

However; in my initial testing of HT I used Lino and Foundry certified Hardball alloys. The same was seen on the bullets in both barrels. I've got a year's worth of saved recovered bullets.

Now to pictures of fired bullets...

Here's my contribution.

Standard rifling
    5" barrel
    RIA 1911 Tactical
    850 FPS
    No GC
    Red HF PC 230gr RN
    No leading
    5 shot, 2 1/2" group at 15yds

Standard rifling
    5" barrel
    RIA 1911 Tactical
    850 FPS
    No GC
    Red HF PC 230gr RN
    No leading
    5 shot, 2" group at 15yds

Recovered boolits

Standard rifling
    5" barrel
    RIA 1911 Tactical
    845 FPS
    No GC
    Black HF PC 230gr TC
    No leading
    5 shot, 1 1/2" group at 15yds

Standard rifling
    5" barrel
    RIA 1911 Tactical
    845 FPS
    No GC
    Black HF PC 230gr TC
    No leading
    9 shot, 3" group at 15yds

Recovered boolits

Clean barrel
    Proud member: NRA, WVCDL
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Master
    nice rifling shot

Love Life
    Bump. Anybody got any pictures and targets? I'm still working this on my end and would really appreciate the input.

Boolit Master
    Here is my picture shot from a Gen4 Glock 35 with factory barrell. Noticed the rifling does not cut thru the paint. Pain is grass green from "powder by pound". Of the 4 powders I tried this is the easiest to appliy. Much better than the Harbor freight Red. Velocity was in the 850fps range. No target as these where only shot at 15 yaqrd to test function, acuracy was same as my conventional lube. I have noticed that with my KKM barrel the rifleing does cut thru the paint. but in 200 roundsthru it I did not get leading either.

For what its worth with conventional lube my fatory Glock 40 barrel leads aweful and the KKM shots clean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	102855

Boolit Buddy

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	102860

NOE 247 grain mold with hollowpoint pin. Bullet weighed 221 grains with the hollowpoint. Hardball alloy. Expansion on 3 1 gallon water jugs. Recovered base from backstop. 1054 fps across chrono. All fragments found in first and second jugs which where split wide open. Great Mold Al! Black dry tumble powder coat.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately I (and mebbe some others) don't relate Glock model numbers to calibers. Would it be too much to ask what calibers these recovered bullets are?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Love Life
    Glock 35= 40 S&W
    Glock 36= 45 ACP

I apologize for my omission and thank you for pointing it out?

Boolit Master
    Glock 35 is 40S&W, Lee 175 gr running about 850 fps. Was sized .401 on Lee push thru dies. Powder is a light charge of Bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Here is my picture shot from a Gen4 Glock 35 with factory barrell. Noticed the rifling does not cut thru the paint. Pain is grass green from "powder by pound". Of the 4 powders I tried this is the easiest to appliy. Much better than the Harbor freight Red. Velocity was in the 850fps range. No target as these where only shot at 15 yaqrd to test function, acuracy was same as my conventional lube. I have noticed that with my KKM barrel the rifleing does cut thru the paint. but in 200 roundsthru it I did not get leading either.

For what its worth with conventional lube my fatory Glock 40 barrel leads aweful and the KKM shots clean.

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	102855

Boolit Master

Dry tumbled HF powder coat. I tried mixing white and red to make pink. 2 coats then sized to .452

16" .45acp TNW Aero Carbine. Conventional rifling.

5gr Bullseye.

Kinda screwing around firing offhand and kinda quick at 25 yards, I had all but 3 in a 6" circle. The other 3 were 2 8's and a 7 on a B8 target.

This is how they look just dug out of a white sand berm.

That's how they look rinsed. The one on the right was stuck in the chamber and I had to knock it out with a rod. I think I had them loaded a bit long. They shot fine, but a live round didn't want to eject easily, and I wound up with a stuck boolit in the chamber.

Might be because I've been really lax about cleaning the gun. It's been fired hundreds of rounds of every type of round. There might've been some pre-existing leading. Time for further testing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	103211

G35 40sw. shot stout with titegroup. All my poly rifling do this. Could almost reload it.....HT gold
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    My .50AE desert eagle is begging for this test. Have coated bullets suitable but little time to test.

Ebner

Love Life
    Once again, thank you all for you input here.

Ebner- Just send your DE to me and I'll test it for you!!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Ok Here is some that may make you rethink the Lowly .38 S&W ( not 38 special)

Name:	38SWexpansion2013.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	103382

These were fired into a cardboard target layed against a solid frozen clay bank. Actual found them bounced back in to the cardboard target. I didn't even know we had them untill I brought the target boards in the house to make notations!
    Last edited by JWFilips; 04-29-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington