MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contender or Encore

Boolit Master

Contender or Encore

I have a couple of single shot rifles that I enjoy casting/reloading/shooting/hunting.

My next single shot is going to be a contender/encore in .30-30.

However, I am need to get up to speed on Encores. I think that I want an Encore but am not sure about how to get the gun and frame I want. Does anyone sell complete rifles?

Some TC people (users and shooters) are fearful that Smith and Wesson is going to abandon the single shot market. Should I look for another gun besides TC?

I have Ruger, H&R, and EABCO single shots. Should I look for another holy grail or is buying a Contender or Encore still a good move?

Thanks

Having had one Contender, I would say anything else but. Encore is stronger, but still has the same weak lockup design that American shotgun makers abandoned about 1905.

If you like the idea of switching barrels, and the price doesn't put you off, look at a CPA replica of the old Stevens 44 1/2 rifle. Many of these shoot under 1 MOA with cast right from the git-go, and you can still remove the barrel with nothing more than a screwdriver.
    Cognitive Dissident

buying a encore or contender is umm a addiction , not a cheap one either ...every new caliber needs new dies,brass,scope,molds ... and once you get one you're going to want another ( ask me how i know ? )
    alot also depends upon what you want to shoot , the calibers on the encore arent limited like the contender is but .. i prefer the contenders when possible , oh and i umm like both pistols and rifle barrels an encore doesnt have such a nice trigger as the contender , unless it's been worked on i should add lolz the factory one's arent too bad but not as easily adjusted as the contenders are , look at bellm's as there's alot of info there and edstc

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
    http://www.edstc.com/
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    I have both and the grip is different from one to the other. I have to reach more with the Encore in order to reach the trigger,not so much with the Contender.

Boolit Master
    I have both the Contender & Encore and actually prefer the Encore for most use. Here are a couple places to look. I have posted a want to buy add at Specialty Pistols for older TC items and got a positive response within 24 hrs. I still see some deals pop up on older Encores which I prefer but they usually don't last more than a couple hours. Triggers on the G2 & Encore are easy to sweeten up.

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/?t=index

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/groupee

Boolit Grand Master

As a rifle I prefer the Encore. As a pistol I prefer the Contender.

Boolit Master
    In the Contender I have a 22lr and a 375 Winchester pistol barrels, and for the Encore pistol I have 6mm Br,6.5mm Br, and 7mm Br barrels and for rifle barrels I have 6.5mm Br, 7mm Br, and a 12 gauge rifled barrel.

Boolit Master
    I had a Contender with the 30-30 bull rifle barrel. It was a real nice shooter with cast bullets. I found the factory Contender stock was way too short. Felt like shooting a BB gun. Maybe OK for a youngster or woman.

With the original design Contender, if you lower the hammer, you must open the action to reset the striker before you can cock the hammer again. With the second generation Contender, the G2, this issue is resolved. If you go with the Contender, be sure of which generation you are buying.

If I was buying new, I would get the Encore frame. It's a stronger action and more barrels and accessories are available for it if you wish to upgrade in the future.

I have heard good things about the H&R Handi-Rifles. Decent shooters at a reasonable price. A lot cheaper then the T/C's, and you can get extra barrels for them also, cheap.

I heard the only reason S&W purchased T/C, was to get their barrel making facility, so they could use it for barrels for their M&P rifles. This might suggest lack of future commitment to the T/C line of products.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 04-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Works for me too
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Mold
    I own several of each and have owned contenders since the early 70's. I prefer the contender (lighter) for rimfires up through .223 and the Encore for anything bigger. There is some tuning involved in each platform to attain maximum accuracy. There are several custom barrel makers out there that produce fabulous barrels. MGM, Bullberry, and David White to name a few. My most accurate pistol is a wildcat barrel for my contender. Contenders and Encores can be addicting and quite fun. Good shooting.

Boolit Master
    Check out this muzzle loader and the RCF rifle being made by the former workers from T/C. The rifle is going to have interchangeable barrels in .223, 30-30. 44mag, 444, 45-70 and 20 gauge smoothbore and rifled barrel.

http://www.lhrsportingarms.com/Redemption.html

Boolit Master

i own both too if i had to pick one it would be the encore just cus i have more barrels for it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have a 14" barrel w/muzzle brake in 30-30 for my Contender and of 6 or 7 barrels I have it is my favorite. I don't have anything Encore so I can't comment on it. I do have a TCR-87 I really like also however barrels for them are very rare, I have factory 45-70 barrel for it and have made two others in 7,62x39 and 243. I am not disappointed with my Contender or my TCR.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Banned

I don't like Encore rifles at all. But I love Encore pistols.

I have a 15" 30-06 that will do 1.5" for 3 shots at 100 yds. off a sandbag repeatedly with factory Remington core-lot 180's.

Just me

Boolit Master
    Had great hopes when I saw the link to past TC folk, Why does everything have to look like a Buck Rogers prop!

Any way , I have shot contenders since 1976 , better pistols than rifles. Had an encore for maybe 6 months , just too heavy for what I want. If you want to shoot 308 Win level and up go encore ,If 3030 then contender would probably be more pleasing. A TCR83 or 87 is very nice , mine's a Hornet. I suspect ongoing support for contendres will be thin from Smith, lots of aftermarket support for a long time. Wish there was a reasonable priced 30WCF low wall out there!

I own several of both and like both. A previous comment about a weak lock-up is nonsense. Both guns serve the shooter perfectly for the calibers they're designed for. The Encore will handle Rigby, Holland & Holland, Weatherby and any other belted magnum round so if you stay away from anti-aircraft rounds, the Encore will perform fine in either rifle or handgun configuration. The Contender is suited for light rifle and pistol rounds but is still an excellent field gun. A Super Sixteen in the Hornet or 223 is one of my favorite rifles. As mentioned, the custom barrel makers offer excellent products for both guns and MGM(the old Virgin Valley)gets my vote.

Boolit Buddy
    The Contender carbines are between 5-6#'s with a small scope. A comparable Encore will be several pounds heavier. Makes a big difference after a long days hunt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yep. However 30-30 in an Encore rifle seems like overkill as a Contender can handle the 30-30 just fine, even in rifle form. Encore's shine in the 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, and magnum calibers the Contender simply can't touch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    buying a encore or contender is umm a addiction , not a cheap one either ...every new caliber needs new dies,brass,scope,molds ... and once you get one you're going to want another ( ask me how i know ? )
    alot also depends upon what you want to shoot , the calibers on the encore arent limited like the contender is but .. i prefer the contenders when possible , oh and i umm like both pistols and rifle barrels an encore doesnt have such a nice trigger as the contender , unless it's been worked on i should add lolz the factory one's arent too bad but not as easily adjusted as the contenders are , look at bellm's as there's alot of info there and edstc

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
    http://www.edstc.com/
    I agree. It's a terrible (but happy) addiction. Stop now while you still can. If you are just looking for a rifle, the Encore is stronger but if you want versatility, the original Contender is the way to go from between pistol and rifle. There are so many Contender barrels and so little time in life…. Now if I can just find a lonely Encore frame to bring home to keep my other Encore frame company...

I've only owned one Encore and that was a 243. Currently own 2 contender frames. Have owned at least a dozen 10" pistol barrels ( don't like the 14" ones.) Have also owned numerous carbine barrels. My current favorites are a 21" 30-30 and a 16 1/2" stainless 22 Hornet that has been opened up to 22 K Hornet by SSK. I much prefer the size of the contenders.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast