Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 cal crockett rifle

True.grit, et al., A quick & dirty way to determine the diameter or width (if you use squares) of a patch is to multiply the ball diameter, e.g. .311" x 2.3, which = .7153". Round that to 3/4" and you're in business.

Perm-Banned
    ok im going to stir up the traditionalist and suggest a magsprark 209 shot gun primer nipple and use about 20 grains by volume of black horn 209 powder. same accracy and no cleaning between shots and very little when done shooting. i use this system on my traditional .45 roundball gun and it is a joy to shoot. very accurate and only clean when im done. ok guys lay into me.

Maven, I cut some 3/4 patches and they work great. Thanks for the formula It makes perfect sense.

johnson1942, The gun likes 20 gr, but I use 3f black. Fouling was not an issue at all. I shot about 25 rounds and did not clean between shots. I do however use mink oil on my patches so I think that helps with the fouling. It cleaned up easy. There is one problem that I have found. The nipple has no clearance when tightened. It is going to be a problem to remove with the traditional nipple wrench. I think that a open-end wrench might work. I do not know if there is a different nipple wrench available. It is very fun to shoot and my 9 year old girl and 7 year old boy like to shoot it as well. Thanks for all the info that you guys have given me. My next task is to make my own BP. Thanks again.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Check out Dutch Schultz BP System at http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com
    Best $ I ever spent since picking up smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Check out Dutch Schultz BP System at http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com
    Best $ I ever spent since picking up smokers.
    Very good link. Thanks for sharing. Smokers sure get in your blood don't they!

Boolit Master
    True.grit
    I am glad your Crockett rifle fires I bought one at Sportsman's Warehouse.
    I put a cap on it to see how loud it was without any powder it would not fire the cap.
    I took it back to Sportsman's told them what was happening the manager took it outside it wouldn't fire a cap for him either.
    He took another Crockett off the shelf went outside tried to fire a cap and no bang.
    Sportsman's gave me back my money and sent all of the crockett's back to be checked out.
    I went back a few times they did not have any crockett's for sale and since have closed the store.
    I was sure dissapointed and would still like to have a .32 to shoot.
    I liked the Crockett because it was light and looked to be a fun gun to squill hunt with.
    NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swede44mag View Post
    True.grit
    I am glad your Crockett rifle fires I bought one at Sportsman's Warehouse.
    I put a cap on it to see how loud it was without any powder it would not fire the cap.
    I took it back to Sportsman's told them what was happening the manager took it outside it wouldn't fire a cap for him either.
    He took another Crockett off the shelf went outside tried to fire a cap and no bang.
    Sportsman's gave me back my money and sent all of the crockett's back to be checked out.
    I went back a few times they did not have any crockett's for sale and since have closed the store.
    I was sure dissapointed and would still like to have a .32 to shoot.
    I liked the Crockett because it was light and looked to be a fun gun to squill hunt with.
    It just needed the nipple turned down to fit the cap.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Mine wouldn't fire a cap when I bought it either. The hammer wasn't falling far enough to even hit the cap. I noticed a hammer stop on the side of the lock. A bit of filing on the hammer stop allowed the hammer to fall a bit further contacting the cap and setting it off. It was very frustrating for a new gun but an easy fix. I could also probably have replaced the nipple with a taller one. Now I just need to get out and shoot it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Mine wouldn't fire a cap when I bought it either. The hammer wasn't falling far enough to even hit the cap. I noticed a hammer stop on the side of the lock. A bit of filing on the hammer stop allowed the hammer to fall a bit further contacting the cap and setting it off. It was very frustrating for a new gun but an easy fix. I could also probably have replaced the nipple with a taller one. Now I just need to get out and shoot it!
    I probably could bend the hammer to strike the nipple correctly but being a new rifle and more than $400.00 should I have to fix it?
    What if the hammer broke while bending I can’t go to Ace Hardware and buy a new one.
    The hammer was so far off that it only hit one edge of the cap I looked at their web site they show how the drum is drilled for proper nipple alignment.
    All I can say is their quality control stinks.
    I have been dreaming about a squil rifle and now probably a Flint Lock.
    NRA Life Member

Banned

A couple of minutes with a file on the hammer stop and hammer and mine was done. No bending. I didn't have many options. I had bought it on the way home from a hunting trip 3 hours away. It wasn't going back!

Post 500.......using this handle anyway.

Don

I guess I got lucky but this one fires great. I got it from Midsouth they had the best price and they were in stock. The only problem that I have, is the clearance on the nipple. To get a nipple wrench on it is impossible. I even tried with a tradition's pistol nipple wrench. Any one out there have this problem or a solution for it?

Boolit Buddy
    My sportsmans warehouse had a traditions nipple wrench and it works great. Still a tight fit but it gets in there. This was not for pistols.

Bardo
    Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    I guess I got lucky but this one fires great. I got it from Midsouth they had the best price and they were in stock. The only problem that I have, is the clearance on the nipple. To get a nipple wrench on it is impossible. I even tried with a tradition's pistol nipple wrench. Any one out there have this problem or a solution for it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    A couple of minutes with a file on the hammer stop and hammer and mine was done. No bending. I didn't have many options. I had bought it on the way home from a hunting trip 3 hours away. It wasn't going back!

Post 500.......using this handle anyway.

Don
    Same thing with mine Don! easy fix, thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I used to squirrel hunt with a scoped Marlin 39a that was so accurate hunting got boring. So I figured I'd get a .32 muzzleloader. I thought it'd be more challenging. I was wrong, the Crockett was just as accurate as the Marlin!! Great little gun.

C.S.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to hunt them with a Marlin 32a also many years ago. Wish I hadn't got rid of it and wish I hadn't got rid of the gun I traded it for either. A Stevens Fox double 20 gauge with silver triggers.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12