RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 cal crockett rifle

32 cal crockett rifle

Hello,

Has anyone tried the 32 cal made by Traditions? Any problems or concerns? I am considering getting one to teach my kids to shoot BP. I wish it was a flinter. I wonder if it could be change over? Any info would be helpful, Thanks

In Remembrance
    You might try a search, Boerrancher and a few others has them, and there is some pretty good threads on them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    Hello,

Has anyone tried the 32 cal made by Traditions? Any problems or concerns? I am considering getting one to teach my kids to shoot BP. I wish it was a flinter. I wonder if it could be change over? Any info would be helpful, Thanks
    If you really want a flinter, buy a flinter. It would cost you at least $200 to do a half way decent swap over and still might not come out as good as one made for it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    if I am not mistaken, the barrel would have to be changed to convert from cap to flint. I could be wrong.... ask my ex-wife.

Boolit Bub
    20 grains of Swiss 3f and a patched round ball and you pretty much own small game out to 50 yards.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Ten to 12 grs of Pyro P and there will be enough left of a squirrel to eat. If yours doesn't put 3 PRBs in one hole @ 25 yards, you're doing something wrong. Also it has a patent breech so you'll need to find a brush to fit inside it.

Banned

Where would one find one of those brushes for a patent breech Junior?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Where would one find one of those brushes for a patent breech Junior?
    I use a plain ol' brass brush for a 22 caliber, IIRC. Whatever diameter brush enters the patent breech with very slight force. If you don't clean it out, you'll get misfires. In case you don't know what a patent breech is, think upside down beer bottle.

Banned

Thanks. I think that I can find a .22 brush!

Boolit Grand Master

A slightly larger brush might work also like a 30 cal that is well used a slightly worn out. Since it is a 32 cal and already small the breech shouldn't be much smaller.
    Aim small, miss small!

I had a Crockett for 13 years until I sold it to get a flinter. Crocketts are very accurate, easy to tote, cheap to feed and care for. I liked mine a LOT. 20 grains of 3F black will give a little bit more power than .22LR hollow points. A .32 can be a powerhouse, too. It will easily take anything up to the size of coyote and a bit larger. My Crockett accounted for lots of squirrels, targets and tin cans.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Can't say I have read anthing bad about the Crockett.

On the subject of flinters; if you want a flinter save your pennies and buy a quality gun. Any cheap flinter will have you pulling your hair out.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Wow you guy's are great. I think I will pick one up in the next few weeks. Does anyone cut their patches? I thought that I could make a cutter out of 3/8" id pipe. Has anyone done this?

As to the patented, breech is it only cleanable from the muzzle?

I think that the advice about the flinter is good advice. I think for the purposes of teaching the basics for BP shooting a cap lock might be better, at least for kids.

Thanks for all the responses, you guys are great source of info.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes most of us cut our own patches and have made cutters from pipe and such. Square patches do just as well as the round ones. As far as the Patent breech goes you clean the gun the same way as any other except you just pay extra attention to the narrow channel near the breech.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I cut my own patches but 3/8" is way to small. I cut squares at about 13/16" for the 32, 36 cals. I buy the desired material (needs to be 100% cotton) from a fabric store. Then wash it a few times, then rip them in strips, then cut the squares. A common material is the red pillow ticking seems to mic about .015 every where I have gotten it. Some just rip the strips then cut at the muzzle.

Bardo

[QUOTE=Bardo;2725681]I cut my own patches but 3/8" is way to small. I cut squares at about 13/16" for the 32, 36 cals. I buy the desired material (needs to be 100% cotton) from a fabric store. Then wash it a few times, then rip them in strips, then cut the squares. A common material is the red pillow ticking seems to mic about .015 every where I have gotten it. Some just rip the strips then cut at the muzzle.

Do you think 3/4 or 5/8 would be a more appropriate size for 32cal? I like to lube all my patches with Crisco, bees wax and olive oil so I think I need to precut them. I read some where on this forum that you can stick a ram rod with patches that are to big.

Moonman76 I understand now what you mean about the flash channel. Some of my other caplocks have a screw that can be removed for cleaning. I would think this would be the case on this rifle. I will find out soon. I placed an order for one from Midsouth today. Thanks again for all the info. I can hardly wait to shoot it. 8)

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=True.grit;2726730]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I cut my own patches but 3/8" is way to small. I cut squares at about 13/16" for the 32, 36 cals. I buy the desired material (needs to be 100% cotton) from a fabric store. Then wash it a few times, then rip them in strips, then cut the squares. A common material is the red pillow ticking seems to mic about .015 every where I have gotten it. Some just rip the strips then cut at the muzzle.

Do you think 3/4 or 5/8 would be a more appropriate size for 32cal? I like to lube all my patches with Crisco, bees wax and olive oil so I think I need to precut them. I read some where on this forum that you can stick a ram rod with patches that are to big.

Moonman76 I understand now what you mean about the flash channel. Some of my other caplocks have a screw that can be removed for cleaning. I would think this would be the case on this rifle. I will find out soon. I placed an order for one from Midsouth today. Thanks again for all the info. I can hardly wait to shoot it. 8)
    You need to go at least 3/4". I don't think 5/8" is big enough.

If you have a drill press you an make a patch cutter out of a hole saw. First remove the pilot drill then SLOWLY grind the teeth off the saw .Don't over heat it. Staple your cloth to a scrap board or piece of plywood You can cut several layers at a time. I run my press at low speed . I made different sizes for 22-60ca for shooting & cleaning .Thin cotton blankets from yard sales make good cheap cleaning patches.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    If you have a drill press you an make a patch cutter out of a hole saw. First remove the pilot drill then SLOWLY grind the teeth off the saw .Don't over heat it. Staple your cloth to a scrap board or piece of plywood You can cut several layers at a time. I run my press at low speed . I made different sizes for 22-60ca for shooting & cleaning .Thin cotton blankets from yard sales make good cheap cleaning patches.
    Thanks that is a good tip. I will give it a shot.

bardo, I was thinking 3/4 round but square would work as well. I lube them by putting into a ziplock bag and pouring the lube into the bag while still a liquid. When it cools, it penetrates all the patches evenly. Not messy at all and does not take much lube.

Ok I got it in the mail on Friday and shot it for the first time this morning. Wow what a shooter. I casted some .311 rb and cut some t-shirt patches that mic at .012. Lubed them with a little mink oil and this is the result at 35 yrd standing prone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 crockett.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	102135
    This gun can out shoot me. I cannot wait for squirrel season. Thanks for all the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast