RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How about. . . . this?

Boolit Master

Welcome back JD and I'm with ya.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

If we start a motorcycle forum then I insist we have a sidecar subforum! And then it will need sub-sub forum for right hand or left hand sidecars.

Boolit Master
    You uns forgot about a sub for the gamers to talk about their xbox.
    I'm glad you're feeling OK.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Sounds fair to me ... We discuss guns and shooting on occasion over on a general aviation board I hang out on ...
    Lot's of things get talked about here, does that general aviation board have a dedicated guns and shooting forum?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I want a forum set up just like Facebook. It would make chatting so much easier.

Wait, I could actually use Facebook for that, couldn't I?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Unless we can talk about growing lead in our gardens, they have no place here.
    I feel if a few of our members wanna talk about that stuff amongst themselves
    we do have a chat feature here.
    The occasional off topic thread is welcome IMO, sometimes it cant be avoided,
    and can provide some comic relief once in a while.
    But if I have to come here and sort through the daisies, carrots and brussel sprouts
    to find casting info, I'll lose interest in a hurry.
    This forum was built on a premise, it worked, and grew to what it is today.
    Do you really wanna go backwards?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Do not like it -- do not go there. Not too complicated.
    Would say it's a no brainer to me. Don't like it, don't go there. Couldn't be simpler.
    Lets have a quick history lesson. Not that many years ago there was this dedicated single shot organization that was stuck in the 1890's. No problem with that other than the older members were dying off and few to none were taking their place. It was dying on the vine. A few newer members got together and decided to expand things a bit and like a flower getting it's first water it blossomed and really took off. The magazine went from a crude amateur looking thing to a glossy full color publication that started receiving national attention and little was lost on the way because not only did they have all the older information in the archives, because of the acceptance new information started pouring in, lots of it. There was talk of introducing new matches to expand interest in younger shooters but still staying along the lines of the early days and the response was positive. Good authors were attracted and the quality of writing in the magazine soared. Big name gunsmiths were attracted and their feature articles were printed and more knowledge was spread. All that had been was still there but now there was more , so much more.
    Well, a small number of the older bunch decided for what ever reason that all this would never do and because of the way officer voting was set up there was a rebellion on their part and all of this was done away with. To make a long story short now things are about back like they were. Poor magazine with little in the way of interesting articles, all the interesting names and ideas are now gone. They wanted it just the way it was and so be it, it is but I notice they are back begging for articles and membership has slipped backwards.
    Now these facts might not be exactly 100 percent correct but I think you can see the trend.
    Live in a closet and you only see darkness.
    No one could ever like casting more than I do. I am 67 and have been at it since I was 14. I not only have more molds than I can count I have learned to make them and am constantly adding to the inventory BUT
    Even I need a bit of fresh air from time to time and doing anything outdoors will rest the eyes and senses and get me ready for another round. Gardening is a nice way to go and just like sharing some of the fantastic recipies that are on here from time to time, a gardening hint or idea can also be resting to the mind.
    I donate every year and if we need a bit more band width I can kick things up a bit.
    If you don't like it, block it out or just don't go there but remember, if you live in a small closet expect only darkness.

My .02 worth and I am sticking by it.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Even I need a bit of fresh air from time to time and doing anything outdoors will rest the eyes and senses and get me ready for another round. Gardening is a nice way to go and just like sharing some of the fantastic recipies that are on here from time to time, a gardening hint or idea can also be resting to the mind.
    Obviously many people agree, that is why there are gardening forums. When you go there why not ask them why they have no bullet casting forums, after all, bullet casting is resting to the mind.

It's plain, simple and obvious that it is a complete impossibility to make any forum all things to all people. An attempt to try would make it completely unrecognizable from it's original purpose and basically unusable. This site was founded on bullet casting and the firearms that shoot them, it has continued to this day to grow and prosper and as strange as it may be it has continued to grow without gardening forums, forums on endangered dugong's or the semi-aquatic hairless ape.

Right now there is a thread in "Our Town" on lawn mowers. Fine, lot's of things get discussed there, that's what it's for but does this discussion mean that we should now have a lawn mower forum? When I want to read about, learn or discuss casting or the firearms that shoot them I come here, when I want to learn how to plant my garden I find a site that has that info and I do not expect that site to teach me boolit casting. What I don't expect is for any site to cater to my completely unrelated whims

Rick.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

In Remembrance
    In no particular order. . .

• As much as I've tried and researched, I don't seem to recall the National Rifle Association--or any of their firearm-related publications ever hiring a gardening editor or an aviation editor or utilizing freelance reporters to write articles on home improvement, automobile purchasing, etc.

They remained--as they do today--a firearms and Second Amendment focused organization.

• So readership of the NRA publications is diminishing? Surprise. All readership of firearms-related publications (ink & paper) is diminishing. Readership of ALL ink & paper publications is diminishing.

It's called the Internet.

• Financial support and sponsorship works both ways. I have not renewed my Sponsor status because, quite frankly, I have concerns about the direction and tone the site seems to be taking. Yet, some new members who are recent to Cast Boolits are willingly jumping on board and signing up to be Contributors, Patrons and Sponsors because they LIKE the direction the site is heading.

• There used to be this really nice little community in the DFW area called Little Elm. It sat on the shores of Lake Lewisville and was considered "out in the country." Then during one of the economic hiccups when out-of-staters typically invade Texas because we have jobs and a livable economy, some of these big-city out-of-staters began buying property in Little Elm.

Well, before you knew it, they were ******** because there wasn't a Starbucks for them and a McDonalds for their kids. So a Starbucks came in, as did the golden arches. Then came a big grocery store, then a Walmart. Then the transplants started whining how traffic was bad and they needed bigger roads and more traffic lights. So in comes more concrete.

Then crime started happening and the transplants demanded a police department when previously the Denton County SO had handled things just fine when Little Elm was still "out in the country."

Now the transplants are putting their houses up for sale and leaving Little Elm because "it's gotten too big" and "too big" is what they fled in Chicago and Philadelphia and New York and the other crapholes they left when they came to Texas for a new and better life.

Now Little Elm is just another overpriced suburb of the north DFW area with cookie-cutter homes, a crime problem and skyrocketing taxes. Most of the original inhabitants have said to hell with it and moved away.

Love Life
    Got to keep membership up somehow. Castingbullets is not rocket science, and once a caster learns that they can shoot gas checked designed bullets without gas checks, the subject of casting grows rather stagnant...unless you're on the level of Mr. Gibson, Felix, and 45 2.1.

Lead melts
    Pour in cavity
    Dropped bullet looks like cavity
    Bullet sizes well
    Bullet hit target
    Done!!!

That's the thought process for many, as many wanted to start casting to save money and shoot more, and as soon as they achieve success...doneskis!!!

Really, what grand happening in the cast bullet world is occuring right now? We have coatings, the epic lube thread, high copper alloys, rpm threshold, building guns correctly, and.......same old same old that is covered in just about any manual...ever.

Now don't get me wrong and think I hate the site. I love it, but with such a stagnant subject (on the surface), the site can die if all remains the same. remains the same. Look at the number of members, and look at how many are signed on or do sign on during a month. I don't mean the same member signing on 40 times (no obamacare counting methods here), but I mean how many of the 20,000+ members actually continue to sign on a contribute after they have learned what they wanted or been told to read a manual?

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

• So readership of the NRA publications is diminishing? Surprise. All readership of firearms-related publications (ink & paper) is diminishing. Readership of ALL ink & paper publications is diminishing.

It's called the Internet.
    Correct, anyone notice how down sized the book & magazine departments have gotten over the last year at WalMart or any other big box store that carries the same?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Now some who use this site only cast and shoot Bullets.they have no other interests outside that field therefore it must be boring to them when some of us go on about Gardening etc.so be a little sympathetic to them,one day we could all find our horizons narrowing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Now some who use this site only cast and shoot Bullets.they have no other interests outside that field therefore it must be boring to them when some of us go on about Gardening etc.so be a little sympathetic to them,one day we could all find our horizons narrowing.
    Did you take a moment before posting that incredible nonsense to consider how totally ridiculous it is?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Got to keep membership up somehow. Castingbullets is not rocket science, and once a caster learns that they can shoot gas checked designed bullets without gas checks, the subject of casting grows rather stagnant...

Now don't get me wrong and think I hate the site. I love it, but with such a stagnant subject (on the surface), the site can die if all remains the same.
    Yep, and that's why I think it's a GOOD thing that the Marines started allowing their boys to wear dresses and to have a Marine Gay Pride week and to look at changing the headware to better facilitate the transgender Marines who can't decide if they want to be a he or a she during the next inspection.

Hell, I think the Corps should start mandating additional training such as "How To Apply Mascara During A Firefight While Cuddling With Your Marine In A Foxhole" and "101 Ways To File Sexual Harassment Against Your Ex-Lover For Getting Lipstick On Your Gun That Is For Fun."

I mean, after all, combat is pretty stagnant and we all know just about everything there is to know about it, never mind those pesky casualties. Gotta keep growing the Corps or it might just die, so rather than adhere to standards and tradition, let's just shoot it all to hell and say that anything goes.

I get it.

Since when has Cast Boolits ever been about seeing how big we can grow? Why do we need to grow? We're not selling a product. We're not a for-profit site or entity. We're a consortium of experienced shooters and reloaders who prefer to create our own projectiles.

For that we need to have a zillion members?

Bigger is not always better. And we've already proven that in our case with the rapid expansion of the site.

Love Life
    That comparison is far so off that it's really difficult to respond to.

Moderator Emeritus

I really don't understand this. A bunch wanted the gardening section, a few didn't. If the new section bothers you, simply don't go there. Why make such a HUGE stinking deal out of it? The new section hasn't even been implemented yet, and it's not a definite addition. We've got a thriving membership here, a bunch of friends who get together to talk about their hobbies, their families and everything else. These same friends wanted a section for gardening, someplace where these same friends on this forum can communicate with each other without having to go to another forum. Why does this bother you so much? This is a community of members, the members requested this, it isn't something the staff just arbitrarily decided to force upon the forum. It seems to me, and to a lot of others to be a fairly simple solution. If you don't like the section, just don't go there. How hard is that?
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Since when has Cast Boolits ever been about seeing how big we can grow? Why do we need to grow? We're not selling a product. We're not a for-profit site or entity. We're a consortium of experienced shooters and reloaders who prefer to create our own projectiles.

For that we need to have a zillion members?

Bigger is not always better. And we've already proven that in our case with the rapid expansion of the site.

I finally get it. People like myself are not welcome here because you want everything to stay the same. I personally don't see a need for a gardening forum and voiced my opinion. But I can ignore the forum, like I do almost every one here, if I want to. If you're not growing you're dieing. And w/ the age that a lot of you are you need new members just to keep it at the same level. How can you waste so much energy on such a trivial thing.

In Remembrance
    I think it may take too much traffic out of the pit, I mean you can only get so many pieces out of a pie. Just look at how much traffic this thread and the one for gardening has already. lol I don't think too many people even go to the outdoors forum, so most will never even know it is there, unless they are interested enough to seek it out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    If the new section bothers you, simply don't go there.
    So your saying there is going to be a gardening forum as part of a bullet casting site??? Is that right?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

This is clearly a Government ploy to get us to stop talking about powder shortages and Doe Run.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast